Wood splitting with the Twist

I'm guessing that this had more to do with the shape of the face

Yup.. Should have specified, this Snow & Nealley would have a similar profile to the double you were using, at least from what I can tell from the pictures of it. Those old Maine Patterns fattened out pretty close to the bit.

I think the pain was coming from me repeatedly smacking the side of the axe against the still upright half of the wood, and the handle always turning 90 degrees in my hand. Hopefully I can become as graceful at it as you are and in a hurry! What also struck me odd was the varying effectiveness of different axes. I tried a whole slew but I settled on this Snow & Nealley which (apart from being a single bit) is a lot like the one you use in relation to general shape, weight and handle length. It seemed to "throw" the wood apart a lot better than some other axes, even ones 1/2lb to 2lb heavier.

I am rebuilding my woodstock ha ha and found some easy wood to practice on. Just thought I would share my experience
No pain but I didn't split for very long.

My first swing was crazy wide my second hit the block but I twisted to soon, my third swing made good contact and almost split the round.
After the initial attempts I started to get into the zone. Sometimes it doesn't split off but it sets up the round for a 3 way split.

I used a vintage craftsman michigan style single 3.5 lber and am starting to understand the technique a little more. Like you said it is different with different axes.
I like it because your bit doesn't dig into the block and you can use a lighter ax instead of a heavy splitter.

I am still in the learning stage but I am implementing this on smaller camp style splitting too it will save your edge.
viva la splitting with the twist :thumbup:

Finally some people who like axes as much as I do!

I simpathize with you cattle dog we don't get to much call for wood shucking down here in North Carolina either. I can't wait to try this new method though, my neighbor and I split firewood all the time for camping and for his fireplace but we are a far cry from experts. Most of my real axe use has come during backpacking or hiking trips, but I've found that most often a tree and two good hands is all I need to make a fire. I'm buying either a small cruiser/forest axe to accompany me on my next couple of trips and see how that treats me, but I will definitely make a note to practice the twist before I head out.

If anyone is interested Ray Mears (UK traditional skills expert) also demonstrates this technique using what I believe to be a GB small forest axe.

On I side note I'd just like to thank both Woodsplitter and Sparrow for getting out and keeping these old traditions alive. I'm only 18 myself, and it's a rarity to find people who take the time to do things right anymore. I wish yall the best of luck with whatever your up to and look forward to hearing more from ya.

Finally some people who like axes as much as I do!

I simpathize with you cattle dog we don't get to much call for wood shucking down here in North Carolina either. I can't wait to try this new method though, my neighbor and I split firewood all the time for camping and for his fireplace but we are a far cry from experts. Most of my real axe use has come during backpacking or hiking trips, but I've found that most often a tree and two good hands is all I need to make a fire. I'm buying either a small cruiser/forest axe to accompany me on my next couple of trips and see how that treats me, but I will definitely make a note to practice the twist before I head out.

If anyone is interested Ray Mears (UK traditional skills expert) also demonstrates this technique using what I believe to be a GB small forest axe.

On I side note I'd just like to thank both Woodsplitter and Sparrow for getting out and keeping these old traditions alive. I'm only 18 myself, and it's a rarity to find people who take the time to do things right anymore. I wish yall the best of luck with whatever your up to and look forward to hearing more from ya.

Hey MC It sure is refreshing to hear the younger than me generation chime in on axe stuff. Sounds like you enjoy axe work. This place has lots of good info and like minded folks willing to share.
That ray Mears vid I watched before but it just didn't hit home like the longer version of the technique by Splitter Sparrow here.
Anyway thanks for posting and N.C. is my all time favorite state to visit I just love the Nanthahala mountains.

Hey MC It sure is refreshing to hear the younger than me generation chime in on axe stuff. Sounds like you enjoy axe work. This place has lots of good info and like minded folks willing to share.
That ray Mears vid I watched before but it just didn't hit home like the longer version of the technique by Splitter Sparrow here.
Anyway thanks for posting and N.C. is my all time favorite state to visit I just love the Nanthahala mountains.
x2 on that ;)

i wish that i would have been into axes at a younger age... i just think sometimes, only if i had been collecting back then, god only knows what i might have today...
i use to go to flea markets all the time with my parents when i was a kid, im sure i walked right by hundreds of axes and didnt think a thing about it...
oh well... just need to make up for lost time :D

I'm 19
And just picked up my first 2 axes, a single bit and a double bit kelly perfects, I have a lot of wood at our land waiting to be split from when we clear a decent size area out. I believe there is pine, oak, and a couple others, may even be some black walnut. Now I need to learn how to use this method

Don't cut your toes off. I started back when I was like 14 or something. I remember thinking I was some hot tickets and then swinging an axe into my boot. Luckily nothing got cut (even the boots are still in service about 4 years later!), just a good wake up call. Be careful. Also, don't ever hand an axe to a young (or any age) friend without some careful forethought and a little instruction.

I wear boots while I work too

I know about not handing it to younger people with out instruction

But, you are forgetting, you need to give instruction to anyone not experienced, even those older than uou

I wear boots while I work too

I know about not handing it to younger people with out instruction

But, you are forgetting, you need to give instruction to anyone not experienced, even those older than you

But, you are forgetting, you need to give instruction to anyone not experienced, even those older than you

Wise man.
waytogo.gif

...a young (or any age) friend without some careful forethought and a little instruction.

Most of the time I am working with people who are much older than I am, most kids do not really care for the work involved unless you let them figure out that its actually quite enjoyable.

.....most kids do not really care for the work involved unless you let them figure out that its actually quite enjoyable.

This is true, I found out on my own when I was probably 15 or 16, I enjoy work, not always, but a lot of the time. I enjoy mainly when I am not forced to do something. If I am asked or I volunteer I find that I enjoy it

I also enjoy it when I can use my new tools (my axes), that unjust recently tool the rust off of and sharpened

Can somebody translate that into English?

Ah, give crazyengineer a break... you must know that many teenagers don't learn proper English grammar these days. At least it wasn't all 'text talk'!
As for translating that, maybe it was meant to be something like "I also enjoy it when I can use my new tools (my axes), that I just recently took the rust off of and sharpened." Am I close?

"That I just recently tooled the rust off of". One typo can throw you for a loop (Re-tooling is a term I've heard used to describe restoration). S'all good crazyengineer.

...and bear in mind, many of our axmen ancesters were probably illiterate =)

"That I just recently tooled the rust off of". One typo can throw you for a loop (Re-tooling is a term I've heard used to describe restoration). S'all good crazyengineer.

...and bear in mind, many of our axmen ancesters were probably illiterate =)

You could hurt a Caveman's feelins :( ;)

Damn autocorrect, I'm on my phone right now

Translation "that is until recently, I removed the rust from my 2 new axes

Yeah, go easy on the grammar and syntax fox paws or faux pas however the french spell it. His first paragraph was perfect so the second must have been a brain fart. We all feed our brains some beans now and then, that's OK, open the windows and move on.

Back