Woodchuck Sin???

I dont know if this is right so I am asking the older more experienced woodchucks.

I have this piece of cheapo scrap 2x4 that I turned into a really cool handle. I am planning on dyeing it in a mixture of Pink Rit dye and 50/50 acetone and Minwax Wood Hardner. I think it will work as a handle on the BAS I am planning on sending to a cryo-treatment.

My thinking is, after the cryo, it wont be a 'traditional' khukuri, so why make a traditional handle for it?

As for the cheapo white pine 2x4 I think it should work with the wood hardner treatment, epoxy, and superglue finish. Whadya think? :confused:

I think I should go eat something and go looking for another piece of wood.... :confused:

...= not too tricky imagination :) Fall by a friendly cabinet shop, and ask permission to paw through their scrap bin. No telling what might be available.

If you look around as Wal suggested you can get handle stock almost free IF you know what you're looking for.

The pine will break the first time you do any heavy chopping.
Don't ask me how I know.

--Mike L.

Wear shabby clothes. If it works for getting change it should work for getting some wood :)

Originally posted by Mike L.
The pine will break the first time you do any heavy chopping.
Don't ask me how I know.

--Mike L.

Kinda like when I made my first shotgun stock?:eek:
The walnut I had wasn't thick enough even with the 2 pieces glued together.
I used a cedar roofing shake.
It warn't long until it started splitting right down the center.:eek:
The next stock was made from a piece of Hackberry picked up at a local sawmill for free.:)

SD:

I'm no woodchuck, but I know a little about pine.
And a little about the khuks I've recently bought.
Don't know crap about wood hardener, but I'd be very surprised if it penetrated more than 1/2 milimeter, now matter how much it hardens.

If you make a user wooden khuk handle out of anything other than well-seasoned, unchecked and uncracked, preferably fine-grained dense hardwood, I think you put your extremities and other possibly more valuable (your call:D ) body parts at severe risk.

Just my 1.5 cents worth....accounting for inflation.

firkin,
I know...I am out looking at other wood for that among other projects.

good thread for why you need to eat...Woodchuckery can be hazardous to your health in many ways. ;)

Keep us posted. An old piece of broken, junk furniture (but the right kind of wood) can yield a dozen good handles -- and sometimes 50.

An old axe or shovel handle...good hickory. Not the prettiest thing in the world, but damn tough. And the price is right.

--Mike L.

In fact, a fifth (and a couple of pints) had a lot to do with the answer you ain't gonna get :rolleyes:

Back