Wooden Scabbard

About a week ago our favorite lady, Yangdu, posted a Villager Utility Knife by the one and only artist and kami known as Ram Kumar. It was offered very cheap. Regret is a terrible thing to bear, so it seemed only right to jump on the deal. This has quickly become one of my favorites. It is a bit under 15" and a little over 14oz. Now I understand the magic inch per ounce thing. It is a real thing people. Something you have to experience to fully understand.

Anyway, it was a little naked without any pants. I mean, how would you feel? It's just not right. Especially for a such a perfect little knife. Well, being that I got it at a bargain, and that is half of the reason I love it so much, I wanted to make a humble, but sturdy, functional scabbard to complete it. I don't usually use the belt loops on sheaths. I usually just tuck the sheath in my belt or keep it near by, so a scabbard is all I need for now.

My brother gave me a slat from an old oak pallet. For the sides of the scabbard, I cut it into 2 pieces a little longer than the blade. Then traced the blade on one of the pieces. I slid the blade "in-and-out" using the spine as a guide and traced it over and over to make a complete final outline of the area of material that needed to be removed. I only carved the shape out of one of the scabbard side peices. I did this so that, as the blade goes in and out, the sharp edge would not be cutting at the seam where the two pieces of wood are joined. After removing the material from the inside where the blade will be, I put the blade in place and removed only enough material from the other side until the pieces fit tightly. I used a grinder with a flapper disk to shape the outsides. Then, I wrapped the blade in plastic wrap and put it inside. I used some 2 ton epoxy to hold the pieces together. I would have used wood clamps, if I had any, but I just wrapped pieces of wire around the top, middle, and bottom of the scabbard and twisted them to squeeze it tight. The next day, I sanded it smooth and coated it inside and out with a lot of BLO. I really like it and I think it will serve me well.

Last edited:
Eric that is some beautiful work right there! It’s twin needs some pants also!
You do really good work when you put your mind to it!
Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for the kind words George. It was not a super difficult project. I got it done in a weekend. Give it a try my friend. Your villager deserves a garment.

Excellent work! If you’re going to carry it in the belt a little protruding stud or bump that catches on the belt will make it more secure.

...or a belt hook/ clip,
sheathclip2_bk_1_600.jpg

Excellent work! If you’re going to carry it in the belt a little protruding stud or bump that catches on the belt will make it more secure.
Thanks. Good idea. I think I might cut a little groove around the top and tie a leather cord in the groove leaving the ends of the knot long enough to use in case I want to tie it on or hang it from something. I could wrap it around the scabbard in such a way to create a ridge to grip the belt and keep it from slipping through when tucked in there. It might pretty it up a bit too. Thanks for getting my wheels spinning.

I see it as a blank canvas where a guy could go crazy with inlays, or carvings and such.

Brass tacks, unlimited possibilities including leaving it as it is of course.

Thanks Mr. B. More ideas... I might carve the family crest from my avatar on it. I probably will. I'll post more pictures if I do.

Nice job Eric! I love wooden sheaths. I made a few for some non-HI blades. Looks like it would slip right under your belt and ride just nicely.

Thanks Dog. I sure do like it. She rides pretty well as is. Its a pretty stout scabbard. The BLO soaked oak weighs as much as the knife. It often intrigues me that so many of us share the same deep primal love between a man and his blade. Something new and exciting and yet familiar and ancient.

Back