Wooden Wednesday - Traditionals only please

Thanks Mark, much appreciated.

Bonky, thanks and I completely agree :thumbup: This may be the "one" for me. The low riding sheepsfoot was a huge draw to this pattern. The nick being on the mark-side was the icing on the cake. The muskrat main blade is a great touch to keep this model short. I think the length of the frame is what really completes this model for me. It is so secure and feels like a natural extension of my hand in use. Highly recommended!

My favorite pattern as well, the GEC #53. Here are some of my wooden hafted models.

Ebony
EbonyCuban.jpg

Mexican Bocote
MexicanBocoteCuban.jpg

Snakewood
SW.jpg

Most excellent Jeff! I really like that Bocote wood. I wish they would do another run with that palm wood or the Hawaiian wood.

Your collection helped push me down the path to the 53, I always enjoy your pics :thumbup:

Thanks, Jeff and Will. If they ever came out with the black palm in the #53 stockman, I'd go through walls to get one.

Oh, and some nice red cocobola would be outstanding, too! Like on this nice old #73 jack of mine.

RareGECs2-1.jpg

Yes! Excellent striping on that Red Coco.

Some of their American Cherry can look very good as well. I note that so far, nobody has posted anything about Queen Cutlery's 'notorious' BEM. I never took to this, far too much like cat-barf...:eek: I do like that Zebra Wood Queen used later on though. Pity they didn't use some of the Green Maple that you get on their fixed blades too.

Regards, Will

Yes, the BEM was too gray for my taste, but I remember someone on BFC dyed theirs and it looked much better.

The curly zebrawood is really nice stuff. Here is a fixed blade I rehandled in some zebrawood.

1stHaftingZebrawood.jpg

If they ever came out with the black palm in the #53 stockman, I'd go through walls to get one.

Dear GEC,

Please make a #53 Stockman in Black Palm.

And please let the rest of us know when you're going to tell Black Mamba.

th_popcorn.gif

Signed,
The Internets

~ P.

Nice job Jeff. It's almost more like Tiger stripe as the colour suits that brass bolster really well.

I've heard that Zebra wood can smell horrible when it's being cut or sanded, odd if true!

Thanks, Will

LOL!!!

Thanks, P, who needs snail mail anyway!?! Besides, we saved the cost of a stamp.

And Will, it's not near as bad as antler smells when belt sanded. But a good respirator is a must.

If they ever came out with the black palm in the #53 stockman, I'd go through walls to get one.

Without a doubt. The Palm wood should be a staple of theirs. I would love to pick up an easy pocket congress but the frame doesnt feel good in my hands.

They could make it a Northfield with long pulls ;)

Talking about GEC woods. They did a very short run of a 56 Weaver EZ-Open in Lacewood, that was a very interesting effect.

Thanks, Will

Puma 835 Junior. I haven't used this knife in a long time but used to work it pretty hard as evidenced by the blemishes that show up on the blade.

puma1t.jpg

Indeed, a little search uncovered how nice that Lacewood looks. I also uncovered that GEC made 4 with Ancient Kauri Wood. I can kiss that goodbye lol. Bring us the palm wood 53 :D

Puma 835 Junior. I haven't used this knife in a long time but used to work it pretty hard as evidenced by the blemishes that show up on the blade.

puma1t.jpg

Nice shape pattern that one Ed, very sleek, not seen one like it before. Single-spring?? Thanks for showing it.

Regards, Will

Cocobolo GEC 73s
IMG_0216.jpg

American Cherry 61 half congress
cherry61-1.jpg

Coconut palm 56 Dogleg
coconutpalm.jpg

Lacewood 56 weaver jack
lacewood7.jpg

YES! That Lacewood is stunning. Good pattern too, I have the bone variant. The Coconut palm is a handsome item as well.

Many thanks, Will

You missed my Queen whittler in BEM Will :D I also have the dogleg jack in BEM but no pic yet, I haven't caught up(!)

Honestly, I love the way it looks, almost purplish blue in full sunlight, though it is more gray in subdued lighting. Of all the recent Queen's I've bought, they were also the sharpest out of the box.

Back