Woodsman in 420HC (OKC's version of 420HC) again... for me.

OK, I got another one coming in due to giving my reserve one away to the old man for his birth day, of which the "Evil Step Mother" stole it for large critter cutting season. The debacle of the past of people thinking they were getting 5160 knives and got the 420 HC version because sellers never changed their information about the steel change...OKC could of announced the change itself to help avoid confusialation on that. That gave the Woodsman in 420HC a bad rep. for a long while.
Now it seems people are coming around to this type of large SS knife and see a use for it, from basic woodsy stuff to camp clearing and even as a food prep tool. Its not for every one and for me its a light to medium duty, as well as the food prep tool on outings and even in the kitchen duty. Really it was patterned after a large kitchen knife it seems and works great for when heavy cutting is needed. In the kitchen or it can step up to real steel on wood abuse as well. Its one heck of a tough knife! I wouldn't use it to hack large bones with the FFG blade, but I seen it do that (Which I don't recommend...) and it seem to come out ok. But then she's an old pro at it and her old bones can read dem old bones where to cut.
My ONE 5160 Woodsman still see's use, and its a great woods whacker around her as well and non coated blade is a food prepping king as well, the full tang of both versions really makes them great knives to me it seems. I would of preferred a full tang version of the SP-51 and not the SP-50 that the Woodsman is. But from what I find for wood processing the Saber grind seems to work better than an FFG.
The Woodsman proves to be a good multi-tool blade that can do a lot of work above its weight class when needed. And is tough enough to keep doing what you need it to do. I'm talking steel on wood, not hacking rocks or cinder blocks with it. Funny thing is I took my RD Tanto out with my Woodsman and the smaller tanto was doing the heavier woods work as the woodsman was doing the finer woodsy stuff last summer. (Some one had to take the reserve car knives out because some one forgot the main pack...). Oh the Buck folder did the woodsy crafty stuff... Having to many knives I find does save the day at times.

I normally dislike FFGs but the 420HC woodsman seems to work well, or is ready to do a lot for me at least, its full tang, ready for woods duty or various food duties I guess is the better factor that makes me like it for its flexibility.

Its a good usable knife, probably not for every one, but it works in the good enough catagory that I've gotten 4 of them so far (one 5160 and threee 420HC), gave two away to people who found many uses for it. I didn't give them away because I disliked them, I gave them away seeing they had a need for them, although not in the way I expected, but they still do the camping (car) scene it seems. They were still needed. So I got another one coming in well becuz I can, and to plan for summer again while I got the money. And the Woodsman is useful for a lot of tasks, even if they aren't the heavy choppers and loppers, that's where the SP-51, SP-53 and SP-10s come in!

Back