wootz, mosaic damascus, MOP, a cooperation folder

I do quiet a few cooperations with different knifemakers on different levels and many of them leave my work bench unseen.

But recently i got my knife out of a cooperation with south african knife maker André Thorburn who is a friend of mine. Andre and i talked about stainless wootz in 2005 for some personal knives and soon we developed this project of knives for us. I made the stainless wootz and the monogram mosaic damascus steel with both our monograms and gave them to Andre at the Gembloux knife show in 2005 and he made the following knife for me from these materials which i got at this year's Gembloux show. As you can see (if you didn't know it yet), he is an incredible maker with unbelieveable feeling for different materials.

Here's some more informations:

blade: my own stainless wootz, 60 HRc
bolster: my own mosaic damascus, hot gun blued
handle: black lip mother of pearl on red spacers
liner: blue anodized titanium with vine filework

Achim

koop001.JPG

koop001b.JPG

koop001c.JPG

koop001d.JPG

Achim,
that is one beautiful knife. The materials go together very well.

Beautiful knife ! Blade, bolsters, file-worked liners, thumb stud, black lip pearl - they are all very, very fine. WOW !!!

Achim, thats gorgeous! :thumbup:

Your wootz and letter damascus are of highest forging skills.
The mother of pearl scales successfully compete with the given materials and the overall workmanship on this folder by the both of you is outstanding! Period! :thumbup: :cool: :cool: :D

That is flat out amazing. Easily some of the best Damascus I have ever seen.

Back