Worden tactical folder

Any reviews about the Kelly Worden tactical
folder? I was thinking about purchasing one,
and was curious if any one else has one?

The Wortac is a mixed bag, IMO. The handle is ideally shaped for a number of grips and is ideal to use as an impact tool when the knife is closed. The blade shape and weight distribution does not lend itself to inertial openings as well as on the KFF. The thumb studs are of generous size but tend to snag a bit on the draw, having the blade come partially open in my pocket--YMMV.

If the Wortac came with a LAWKS or in a titanium frame-lock version, I'd carry it exclusively. As it is now, I carry my KFF exclusively despite its poorer steel and less versatile grip (otherwise superb for hanging onto the knife.

If you're interested in the smaller versions of either knife, I never got beyond the fondling stage on those--they're both too small for my hands.

Hi dwr318.

I'm with eda on this one. I have the CRKT large KFF, and I had the Timberline large Wortac. My daily edc's are Rekat Carnivour and Sifu. I sold my Wortac because it seemed to be a KFF without lawks. The liner lock alone looks better than CRKT's alone, but the addition of lawks changes this a lot. The ergonomics of all Kasper designs are fantastic. That's why I got CRKT's Polkowski companion! I wish that they're do some kind of cross checkering to add to the grip though. If it's a defensive folder, the AUS6 steel isn't as much of an issue, but sharpness is!

Hank:cool:

I have Timberline version of the knife. I am very happy with the overall construction especially for the price. I have not had any problems with the oversized thumb stud snagging infact, I really like the size of it.
The knife is fairly heavy because it has a very think spine down the back of the handle. It is very strong and has been used as an emergency pounding device on several occasions.
The handle is comfortable for my hands, however, I have small to medium hands. People with larger hands may not find it as comfortable as a knife with a different shaped handle. It comes with Zytel type handles which I don't mind, however, I think these handles are a little too smooth for my liking.
The blade came razor sharp, and has been fairly easy to re-sharpen. I think it is a great knife for the money...can't cooment on the original custom version.

what exactly is the difference between the original version and the timberline version?

also, i'm picking a timberline one up for $40 USD plus shipping. thats a decent price, right?

The Crawford version is much more expensive, and I believe he can do a Ti-handled version, possibly even with framelock (I know Ti-handled KFFs exist). As much as I'm NOT a fan of liner locks alone, given Crawford's quality I'd probably trust the lock.

Re the pricing, ya get what ya pay for. I've only gotten to fondle one Crawford knife, and the envy has yet to die away.

BTW, $40 for the Timberline is excellent--hell, it's $2 less than I paid, excluding shipping!

i have a crawford kasper titanium folder, and its my fav knife - not cheap, but a fine knife indeed imho - its at pats right now, he's rebeadblasting the handles and blade for me, hope to get it back soon - but to be honest, not THAT much difference in the CRKT and crawford versions, CRKT is thicker/heavier, and the lock is not as good at all,and the AUS6, etc but they look a LOT alike and handle a LOT alike too - the CRKT is definitly a lot of knife for the $$ imho,,,,,,,,

sifu

I just got the Timberline version and fellas, I wouldn't trust the lock on this thing for anything. Looks very light and flimsy if you ask me. I defintely give this liner the thumbs down. Kind of reminds me of the Schrade Cliff what-ever.....

I 2nd Kodiak PA,
I can basically whack the spine on my hand and it closes. Other than that, the design and feel are very good. I give the liner-lock about 50%. Too bad, cause I really like it.
FM.

The lock on mine has been pretty good and strong, used it as a utility knife and it's held up fine. Infact it is a more trust worthy lock than one of my more expensive folders (brand name withheld, although the model is a Naval Officer rank;) )

Just got my Worden folder yesterday, & IMO it is not the folder my CRKT Kasper is. The thumbstuds are a little large and snag my pockets, which probably if they were rounded off a little would solve that problem. Also the pocket clip is so tight you have to really force it in your pocket, which could cause the blade to come partially open, and that could be painful. I have the small version, and maybe the larger version is a little different? Kind of disapointed w/ this purchase. Probably will be sending this one back to BestKnives if I don't trade it.

Originally posted by Centurian
The lock on mine has been pretty good and strong, used it as a utility knife and it's held up fine. Infact it is a more trust worthy lock than one of my more expensive folders (brand name withheld, although the model is a Naval Officer rank;) )

Ouch! :D

This is a great knife, but understand that it is not a small knife. There is nothing compact about it. Even in loose pants it makes a distict bulge.

Back