Work Sharp, flawed?

I think the confusion is that I asked about the angles being not correct because of the guides use the primary grind as their reference rather than an absolute reference of the center line of the blade. I explained how I saw this as a problem and asked for opinions. Almost nobody addressed the issue and either became insulting and condescending and attacked that I said "It also means, to me, that the Work Sharp machines are not worth considering." This sentence was just one part of the whole post but some seem to have fixated on this like it was my whole point or question. The whole post was the premise that I used in saying that.

I am looking for an answer about the angles not being held correctly, and if this is the case then recommendations to buy something else would be not an answer. If the premise that angles are being held correctly is wrong, then say so. Don't tell me to buy more stuff or something else as proof that I wrong. It is completely illogical.

If I had already made up my mind about buying one, why would I ask if I am wrong about how I see the design?

Actually you made a couple of statements about the guides, not questions.

I dislike the guides but not for the reasons you mention. My issue with them is that you cannot sharpen the entire length of the blade of knives that have scales. Also that over time they promote a divot at the handle end of the blade (my experience - may be poor technique, others may differ).

The point is that whether you are correct or not, the guides are not a reason to discount the WS. I have owned just about every system on the market including the original WS, WE, KME, EP, SM, Lansky and all the usual suspects. The WSKO with BGA is the only system I have not sold.

If you choose to discount the WS because of the guides, so be it, but you may be missing its full potential.

I have rounded the tips of a couple of knives on it, I know that's user error, but i don't like that you can get in real trouble in a hurry if you aren't really careful.

Actually you made a couple of statements about the guides, not questions.

Yes I did, and then asked what people think. That is the part of the question. Do the guides hold the knife at the primary grind angle as a reference or not? Why is this so hard to answer? Can you answer that clearly? Does this affect the actual angle of the actual cutting edge? Does this make the Work Sharp as supplied not accurate in its guiding of sharpening angles?

no it's not accurate, and it also has issues with thick knives like my Ontario sp6 and my kabar, at least in my experience, guess I should have gotten the blade grinding attachment for another 75 bucks.

Do the guides hold the knife at the primary grind angle as a reference or not?

The question is answered in the YouTube video you referenced, at 15.40.

Also, the edge retention test videos you mention don't seem at all scientific (I don't think they're supposed to be).

Just about the only conclusion you can draw from them is that the WS edge on an individual knife is generally more retentive than the factory edge. I wouldn't rely on those tests to compare different knives, or different steels.

Last edited:
no it's not accurate, and it also has issues with thick knives like my Ontario sp6 and my kabar, at least in my experience, guess I should have gotten the blade grinding attachment for another 75 bucks.

Or just throw the guides away and use freehand.

that would work, but honestly now that I have my system from tech studios, I'm selling my wsko to pay for some higher grit stones, chasing that mirror finish edge.

I don’t have one either but can say hardly any system has an accurate angle guide. Your best bet with any system is to check for the true angle with a angle block or an ap you can get on your phone. However me personally I think having or getting a angle perfect is really silly unless your some kind of wonder internet tester. Witch comes with a hole lot of other problems in my opinion. Just get your knife sharp, use it hard and resharpen it again.

that would work, but honestly now that I have my system from tech studios, I'm selling my wsko to pay for some higher grit stones, chasing that mirror finish edge.
ahoward2K...left a message on your profile page. thanx.

Back