Work Sharp Ken Onion Edition Knife & Tool Sharpener just DIED

My Work Sharp Ken Onion Edition Knife & Tool Sharpener (European version) just died...

And it went with a loud BANG! Out of my eye I even caught a glimpse of a fireball.

All my attention was focused on the sanding belt and the knife I was sharpening, so I didn’t quite see, what happened. It seemed as if the explosion came from the transformer located on the middle of the cord. However, I can see no signs of the event on the transformer, so I’m a bit puzzled about what could have happened.

I had just been sharpening for about 2 or 3 minutes, so overheating can be ruled out.

Have any of you experienced anything similar?

Anyway, I have ordered a new unit, so I can get on with the sharpening…

Were you running at low speed? If so, it may well have overheated.
Thank you for your reply.
I had it running on something like 50% of full power, and it had only been running for 2 order 3 minutes, so I do not think overheating could be the problem.

And it went with a loud BANG! . . . caught a glimpse of a fireball.
. . . explosion . . . I’m a bit puzzled . . . what . . . happened.

Devine intervention.
Just her way of saying you are making far too much noise with all that power grinding and that an Edge Pro would be oh so much more civilized.
Happens all the time. :p :)

The gear head in me is curious though.
Have you taken it apart ?
Is there any chance the motor sucked up too much steel dust and the motor arced / shorted across the conductive pile of metal dust ?

PS :
(European version)
So you are on higher than 120V ?
200 V ?
Shorting that kind of voltage can make some good bangination.

Darex, the company that makes the Work Sharp, has excellent customer support. Not sure what the current warranty period is, but they might help you out in any event.

Andrew

Darex, the company that makes the Work Sharp, has excellent customer support. Not sure what the current warranty period is, but they might help you out in any event.

Andrew
Mine did the same thing, as I was running the grinding attachment at a low rpm, which caused overheating. The cooling fan volume is related directly to rpm, so speed up that motor....
...and yes, that customer service is outstanding.

Back