Working with the FAA to bring Sanity back

Unfortunately the FAA and Airlines appear to have massively overreacted to the Hijackers use of knives to take over the 4 Aircraft.

I would encourage AKTI to try to establish dialogue with the FAA to reverse the initial knee jerk reaction and establish reasonable consistant restrictions on knives aboard aircraft.

I know that most of us will agree that No Restrictions will actually accomplish anything. However, AKTI will not be effective taking that approach forward especially right now.

I agree that further restrictions on air travel will not help at all, but there's no way the AKTI or anyone else could stop them now. 4 planes were just hijacked with knives and there's just no way the FAA, or anybody else, is going to continue to let people carry knives on planes anymore. This is a bad time for knife people, and we should just avoid raising a stink about this because it will only make us look bad in front of the terrified masses and officials who have the power to make things worse for us.

Jason,

I agree that right now is not the time to try to engage the FAA and we should definitely avoid raising a stink but I do believe that we can be successful in getting the FAA to back off of their "No Knives of Any Type" stance.

The problem that I see is that We the Knife Loving Community will have to be willing to accept the AKTI trying to negotiate Acceptable Limits for Knife Carry instead of No Limits.

I absolutely agree that this is a bad time for knife legislation. We are working on a statement from AKTI that will call for some time to evaluate sensible legislation. People are looking for scapegoats and the FAA has gotten downright abused these last few days. I will investigate the balance of today how to make contact.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Back