Works of Art -- pix and deals.

These are the first two khukuris that Art has reworked for us. I can't remember what was wrong with them but they look just like new and should actually be better than new. Tried and tested, some sort of minor damage, and now repaired so they should be ready for the field.

I want to get these into the field and get reports back so I'm giving $50 off each in exchange for field report and they go again with full HI guarantee.

top -- M43 by Kesar. 17.5 inches and 28 ounces. Somehow ended up with two kardas rather than standard issue of karda and chamka. Scabbard by village sarki in new leather. $95.

bottom -- 19.5 inch AK by Sher. Only two pounds and very quick for an AK this length. Old style scabbard but well done and nicely tooled.
$95.

Call or email and let's see how Art did with these.

Attachments

• works of art for 5-24-02.jpg
    works of art for 5-24-02.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 341
I have an 18" KNN AK that Art recently did a "nose job" on, reground and rehardened the edge. At the annual Father's Day camping trip last weekend, I used it to limb a recently-fallen Ponderosa Pine and buck the top half (up to 6" diameter) of it into firewood.

I also tested the recurve section by using it draw-knife style to strip the bark from about a 20 foot section of the lower half. Overall The knife got a heavy workout.

The only difficulty I had was due to the heavy accumulation of pitch that required me to periodically stop and clean off the blade. The reground edge is thicker than the original but cut just as well as the original and required no sharpening before or after use.

In summary, anybody who buys one of these "works of Art" is getting one helluva deal. :cool:

Thanks for report. I think all the Art reworked stuff is going to hold up just fine but we need a few more reports just for ammo.

The AK is a very good deal considering retail for a 20 incher is $195.

Art is Art Swyhart, custom knifemaker. Here is a link to one of his knives:
Art Swyhart Little Guy

I sure wish he'd post some pictures of his work.

I read somewhere that he knows a thing or two about working with Damascus and differential hardening.

We're pretty lucky to have him around. :D

All gone and I'm very happy to have Art around to take care of dinged blades. The kamis have still not gotten back to normal. Failure rate before the Maoist scare was about 1 in 500. Since the strike and rampage it's running 1 in 100 and that is too much for me -- or anybody else for that matter.

That is a classic Sher AK. Looks like mine, but with wood. $95 is what I paid for my blem, and this is a Steal! Someone jump on that, please!

Keith

Bill, I've got a newbie question: the M43 has a pinned handle, and I'm guessing usual full tang,but wide. The AK does not look pinned. What's the deal? Are all Aks pinned? Why the pin anyway? Yvsa once said he doesn't like that style of tang- the AK style . (see, I listen to everything Yvsa says.)

munk

Quite simple, it's the only way the M-43 comes. If it came with the rat tail tang I wouldn't have got this one.

Yvsa, I thought AK's all had the pins too, and the wide tang.

at least, I've seen pinned AK's.

munk

Now I'm more confused. I checked the shopping site and no pins. But I've seen pinned AK's. and Yvsa has talked in the past about the AK tangs being different.

munk

munk you're talking about the Chiruwa AK. It has the handle slabs pinned onto a wider tang. The M43 and the occasional oddity or special-order are the only ones that come with a chiruwa-style handle AFAIK (edit: besides the Chiruwa AK, duh :footinmou )

Regular AKs have the regular handle like shown in this pic.

No better or worse, just different...

The interesting thing to me is the difference in feel or balance. If I close my eyes and move around with a normal khuk(18" AK or WWII), it feels to me like a weight on the end of a stick, like two objects. All that steel way out on the tip. The chiruwa khuks (I have a Chiruwa AK and an M43) feel much more like a consistent-size heavy stick, one object. Heavier in the hand but consistent overall. In this way I seem to like the chiruwa better, I feel more connected to the blade, as it is directly connected to me, not out on the end of a stick somewhere. Now I'm exaggerating a little, but that's the general idea.

Now the really interesting thing to me is when you get regular khuks that feel connected as one object to me. The YCS is like that, but the most interesting example I have is the 20" WWII-villager by Murali that I picked up a month ago. For some reason it feels much more connected to me than the several 18" WWIIs that I have handled. Very much a fighting khuk if I had to give it a temperment... Perhaps it is thinner than I would expect from a 20" khuk and my body thinks it should be heavier, and the feel surprises me? Who knows...

Of course more weight closer to your hand will reduce the chopping ability somewhat. I'm sure Yvsa will be along soon to discuss the potential for the chiruwa to transmit more of the shock to your hand while chopping. My landlords frown on chopping up the landscaping so I haven't had a chance to do much heavy field work.

Just "buy 'em all" to quote the old rec.guns newsgroup.

so only the C-AK and the M43 have tangs as wide as the handle?

So when Yvsa said he didn't like the AK tangs as much he must have been referring to the standard tangs, the triangle.

btw; I've handled a pinned AK and know what you mean by the big stick feel.
munk

Originally posted by munk
so only the C-AK and the M43 have tangs as wide as the handle?

So when Yvsa said he didn't like the AK tangs as much he must have been referring to the standard tangs, the triangle.

btw; I've handled a pinned AK and know what you mean by the big stick feel.
munk

Munk I prefer the rat tail or stick tangs as some people call them for several reasons.
The Chiruwa tangs transmit shock to my using hand, right handed, and it aggravates the carpal tunnel laying just below the surface all the time.
Some of the guys say they don't feel it, the shock, or if they do it doesn't bother them, just different strokes for different folks.

Other reasons is that the horn or wood either one usually continues to shrink for awhile after the khuks reach the ELU, end line user, and so leaves a rough ridge around the perimeter of the tang, not saying they all do this, just the ones I've had experience
with.
Another reason is that I also have to be real careful of frostbite and the bare cold steel exposed on a full tang on a cold Oklahoma day leaves me at more risk, the flip side of that coin is because they get too damned hot in the summer, just nit pickin stuff, but when you're as old as I am you learn to appreciate creature comforts.:)

I guess maybe the biggest reason I like the rat tail tangs is because they have been well tested and proven over the centuries on all sorts of tools and weapons.
Perhaps it was because steel was so precious in the beginning, but in the end the old timers, lots older than me;), learned that the rat tail was just as strong as the full tang and much handier to use all
day.
It's also why I'm such a strong proponent of the convex edge. The same old timers learned that it was the best edge for strong use and consequently used it on heavy use tools and weapons.
When I first started buying H.I.Khukuris they all had the convex edge and there was seldom a failure.
I've broken pieces out of two khuks, one was a GRS, with the thinner edges that have been coming out for some time now and that's the biggest reason I've quit buying so many khuks, besides having more than I can use.:rolleyes:
The khuks were made primarily for chopping and so should have chopping edges on them IMO.
I like to use a snap chopping technique as well as giving a hard twist at the end to help clear the wood chips out.
The technique puts a lot of side torque on the edge and a convex edge has no trouble standing up to that.
I see now where some folks refer to their khuk's as slicers and/or slashers and as far as I'm concerned there's better blades for that purpose.

Believe me I will test out this M-43 to see how the edge holds up and will report back either way.
I'm sure that Art did an excellent job on them and that's not a concern. I mostly ordered this M-43 because I wanted a khuk that Terry made the model for and hopefully to see what all the fuss has been about this model and Tsimi.:D

Back