1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Kizer C01C Sheepdog Ki4488A & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Dec 14 !

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Dec 15 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Worksharp with Blade Grinder Attachment and a Scotchbrite Belt!

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by Tetsujin 140.6, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Tetsujin 140.6

Tetsujin 140.6

Jan 4, 2011
    A few years back I made a knife out of 01 Tool Steel, and have carried and used it daily since. Being that it is 01 Tool steel, it has taken on more than a few signs of use over the years, and I wanted to bring it back to looking new.

I figured a Scotchbrite belt would do the trick, I do not have a belt grinder, however, but I do have a KO Worksharp with the blade grinder attachment.

I was able to locate said Scotchbrite belt in 3/4" x 18" size to fit the blade grinder attachment and bought one to give it a try. Initially it did not work as the attachments drive wheel just spun in the soft backing on the belt. I scraped off the backing, and adjusted the angle on the belt to allow for the least tension, and it then worked like a charm. All the old patina, chips, and stains were polished off and the knife is like new.
    https://imgur.com/a/AUBbudh[​IMG]

https://imgur.com/a/QC8jM2m
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I'm very pleased with how well it worked.

Has anyone else tried this?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  2. Mr.Wizard

Mr.Wizard

Feb 28, 2015
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    Tetsujin 140.6 likes this.
  3. cbwx34

cbwx34

Dec 27, 2004
    Haven't tried it on the WorkSharp, but in general, Scotchbrite belts work well.

Curious about the belt slipping on the drive wheel... just wondering if it still has the O-ring on it? Might check and see... if not WorkSharp will send you some. (Mine broke off, but doesn't seem to matter with the regular belts).

4. Tetsujin 140.6

Tetsujin 140.6

Jan 4, 2011
    I'm having trouble with pics. I've inserted links to imgur.

5. Tetsujin 140.6

Tetsujin 140.6

Jan 4, 2011
    I think mine still has the O-ring on the drive wheel, and there is a little slippage until the belt gets up to speed and then it works well enough.

6. drail

drail

Feb 23, 2008
    Scotchbrite is wonderful stuff for keeping working carbon steel clean and shiny. Just wish it wasn't so overpriced....... ALWAYS wear eye protection because it can throw little pieces everywhere if it's moving at speed in a belt or a wheel.

7. Jason B.

Jason B.

Jun 13, 2007
    Scotchbrite Belts and Wheels rock! Lots of uses, from refinishing to deburring and polishing or even sharpening, you can always make a blade look good with scotchbrite.

8. Tetsujin 140.6

Tetsujin 140.6

Jan 4, 2011
    Thanks for the help Mr. Wizard.

9. CasePeanut

CasePeanut Gold Member Gold Member

May 25, 2018
    that looks great! I will PM you to find the source for those belts. its so hard to find the 18" belts!