Worksharp with Blade Grinder Attachment and a Scotchbrite Belt!

Tetsujin 140.6

Gold Member
A few years back I made a knife out of 01 Tool Steel, and have carried and used it daily since. Being that it is 01 Tool steel, it has taken on more than a few signs of use over the years, and I wanted to bring it back to looking new.

I figured a Scotchbrite belt would do the trick, I do not have a belt grinder, however, but I do have a KO Worksharp with the blade grinder attachment.

I was able to locate said Scotchbrite belt in 3/4" x 18" size to fit the blade grinder attachment and bought one to give it a try. Initially it did not work as the attachments drive wheel just spun in the soft backing on the belt. I scraped off the backing, and adjusted the angle on the belt to allow for the least tension, and it then worked like a charm. All the old patina, chips, and stains were polished off and the knife is like new.
o8kv1s2.jpg

AUBbudh

QC8jM2m

blockquote>

I'm very pleased with how well it worked.

Has anyone else tried this?

Last edited:
...Initially it did not work as the attachments drive wheel just spun in the soft backing on the belt. I scraped off the backing, and adjusted the angle on the belt to allow for the least tension, and it then worked like a charm. ...

Haven't tried it on the WorkSharp, but in general, Scotchbrite belts work well.

Curious about the belt slipping on the drive wheel... just wondering if it still has the O-ring on it? Might check and see... if not WorkSharp will send you some. (Mine broke off, but doesn't seem to matter with the regular belts).

Haven't tried it on the WorkSharp, but in general, Scotchbrite belts work well.

Curious about the belt slipping on the drive wheel... just wondering if it still has the O-ring on it? Might check and see... if not WorkSharp will send you some. (Mine broke off, but doesn't seem to matter with the regular belts).
I think mine still has the O-ring on the drive wheel, and there is a little slippage until the belt gets up to speed and then it works well enough.

Scotchbrite is wonderful stuff for keeping working carbon steel clean and shiny. Just wish it wasn't so overpriced....... ALWAYS wear eye protection because it can throw little pieces everywhere if it's moving at speed in a belt or a wheel.

Scotchbrite Belts and Wheels rock! Lots of uses, from refinishing to deburring and polishing or even sharpening, you can always make a blade look good with scotchbrite.

that looks great! I will PM you to find the source for those belts. its so hard to find the 18" belts!

Back