World Jade Symposium 2014 - Kitchen knife set accepted fo "sculpture" competition

Hello everyone,

Most of you know I do a lot of work with Jade. About a year ago I was asked about entering one of my projects for acceptance into the World Jade Symposium that is being held in Vancouver British Columbia.

After a bit of back and forth about my works I was accepted as one of the entrants into the competition. In fact I am one of about 50 who have had works accepted for entry from around the world.

So, if you would like to see my entry; the competition; and vote on the entries – Here is the link. Feel free to share this with others! ;)

http://www.jadesymposium.org/vote/

Here is a link to just my assigned Symposium page. For some reason it did not become an active link so it may need to be copied to work.

http://www.jadesymposium.org/2014-jade-carvers/usa/michael-hoover/

This is the first time a REAL working Jade kitchen knife set has been accepted for entry. :D

Attachments

• Redrummd 2126 - 2129PCS DG1.jpg
    Redrummd 2126 - 2129PCS DG1.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 116
  • Redrummd 2126 - 2129PCS DG2.jpg
    Redrummd 2126 - 2129PCS DG2.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 72
  • Redrummd 2126 - 2129PCS DG3.jpg
    Redrummd 2126 - 2129PCS DG3.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 95
  • Redrummd 2126 - 2129PCS DG10.jpg
    Redrummd 2126 - 2129PCS DG10.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 105
  • Redrummd 2126 - 2129PCS display 3.jpg
    Redrummd 2126 - 2129PCS display 3.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
Your Jade Kitchen knife set is absolutely awesome. I already voted for your Jade art, as I won't be able to actually attend the Symposium. It should be noted that your Jade creation is actually useable instead of just a piece of art. You certainly deserve to be one of the few selected to enter in the Jade Symposium.

You are the Master of Jade knife handles,
Dennis

Michael -
Absolutely gorgeous! The jade is so vibrant green! Of course I had no doubt, but you have it perfectly sculpted, fitted & polished! I submitted my vote!
I am proud to own a similar set. Thank you!

I think both of you (testdw & hohenstreetroa) have a kitchen set that show in the previous works section on the page dedicated to my entry......

Voting ends Saturday, 10:00 PM, Pacific time, and there are only a few hundred votes total so far for all of the entries so every vote has a lot of weight to it. So, if you like what I have done there is a link above.....

Thanks to all of you who have supported my work.

Sincerely,

Mike

Last edited:
Well I did not place in the top six and that is as far down as they went in announcing the results of the voting. My work was very well received by the major artists of the world who took time to chat with me about my kitchen knives. I was the only utilitarian art work accepted for entry and it was very gratifying event for me. Heck I did not even really know what a utilitarian artist was until I got back and “Googled” it! 

I also met with a Jade expert from China who was discussing the Boulder Creek Jade I used on the knife set. He stated that I should not be selling this Jade for less than $600. a pound and that a single bangle (bracelet) made from this quality of Jade would sell for $10,000. US in China. In fact after asking how much I had left he advised me to stop selling it as it would only become more valuable due to it’s rarity. The major factors he notes were the lack of any “clouds” or inclusions, the rare color and the polish it takes. So, I decided to just leave the two bangle size pieces I had listed already on Ebay but I have decided to sell no more of the larger pieces.

Heck I even had an interview about my utilitarian art work by a writer from a China newspaper who was there to do a large article about an artist from China who had a large eagle carving right in front of my entry. She told me that my work would be very well received in China as mothers would seek it out as gifts for their daughters weddings. She told me that such a gift would be for a lifetime of use and the Jade would bring good fortune to the home as well as beauty. It was a bit complex as she was trying to explain to me why Jade is so valued in China. Her husband did not speak English and she had him “running” around getting stuff and I caught his eye and he just smiled and we both slightly shrugged our shoulders. I think that is a universally accepted unspoken good natured husband gesture.

Another person who lives in Canada and does Jade exporting and manufacture in China knew me from my work. He talked to me at length about opening a shop with apprentices in China as would make very good money in China doing what I do. Kirk Makepiece the owner of the Jade West mines had told me that work like mine had been tried but failed in China before so this was a rather interesting conversation.

I attached a couple of photos that really meant a lot to me, not the photos but the artist. He took a great deal of time to talk with me about my artwork and was the one who told me it was very good utilitarian artwork and he “got it”. He is holding a Jade spoon he carved and the asking price is $5,000. The winner of the 2011 symposium repeated as the winner for 2014. He too took time to talk with me about my work and the goals I put on the utilitarian aspects of design and cost constraints in the media choices I make.

Three Jade miners made contact with me about my work and the Jade I use and potentially trading of Jade for my work. One of the miners is already in contact with me and we may be getting together shortly as he is mining a newly found “blue” Jade found in the mountains a couple of hours drive from here. I will probably be writing to him later tonight after I take time to go over his email again. Here is his site: https://www.facebook.com/BullTroutJade

I see my work somewhat differently now and hope that my little Art In Stone niche market can continue to keep me busy.

Attachments

• Georg Schmerholz.jpg
    Georg Schmerholz.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 42
  • Jade spoon.jpg
    Jade spoon.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 43
It sounds like a great experience, it's always good when you can discuss your work with like minded folks. The contacts you made will come in very handy, I think.:thumbup:

Hi Michael, none of the knives utilitarian or otherwise did well in the jade symposium even though all were well executed. Yours were spectacular as usual (viewing from a far). I see you did a blue dream jade knife, it looks amazing, perfect finish as always.
David

Yes, I am here every day! I just do not seem to have many visitors lately. I still am working in my shop every day too but there seem to be fewer collectors now. I would like to be busier than I am but my wife and I have never planned for the income from my artworks to be part of our required retirement income. We use it for things we want to do such as college funding for our five grandkids.

As things have gotten to be slow with knives I am also doing Jewelry again too..... :)

Attachments

• Art In Stone J2 F.jpg
    Art In Stone J2 F.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Art In Stone J5 E.jpg
    Art In Stone J5 E.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 18
It's too bad it's slowed down for you, I always enjoyed dropping by to see your latest project. I thought after the Jade expo things would really take off for you on several fronts. I still intend to have you make me a stone handle for one of my knives someday. It will probably end up being a personal keeper. Hope you will have some of that nice jade when I do pull the trigger.

I have enough top end Jade to last a couple of decades! ;)

If Jade knives get into big demand through Jade West they always sell me replacement Jade at wholesale.

Hi Redrummd, your work on the jade handles (and the workmanship of the knives altogether) looks amazing. Do you mind if I ask what are the main tools/processes you use for working stone into handle slabs?

Back