Worn out Lansky Coarse and Extra-Coarse stones

Over time i have worn down the two most coarse stones for the Lansky setup i have. Mostly just gunked them up and tried flattening them to no avail. Buying replacement stones seems silly since you can just buy a whole new 5 piece kit for $10 more. Has anyone reconditioned these things? Maybe i should just glue some high quality belt sander paper to them?

whats your suggestions

yeah thats what i did. exactly. It took the 70 grit and 150 grit (i think thats what they are) stones to about a 300 grit smoothness is my guess.

oops.:eek:

Over time i have worn down the two most coarse stones for the Lansky setup i have. Mostly just gunked them up and tried flattening them to no avail. Buying replacement stones seems silly since you can just buy a whole new 5 piece kit for $10 more. Has anyone reconditioned these things? Maybe i should just glue some high quality belt sander paper to them?

whats your suggestions

I wore out the same two stones (XC, C) in my Lansky Deluxe kit, both dishing and glazing them to the point they didn't cut anymore; most of that damage came in trying to rebevel an S30V blade. As relatively inexpensive as those hones are, I didn't see any worthwhile return in trying to lap or recondition them; I invested in a Lansky diamond kit instead, and officially 'retired' my Deluxe kit. The regular stones aren't worth that much work, so far as I'm concerned.

If not wanting to invest in a full diamond kit, one could also just supplement a standard kit by adding one or two diamond hones in XC and/or Coarse grit. The finer hones (medium, fine, uf) in the standard/Deluxe kits can still work well on most common steels, following an XC or Coarse diamond, which can do most of the 'heavy lifting' in reshaping bevels on more wear-resistant steels and anything else.

David

interesting. I was unaware they made diamond stones for that system - sure enough i looked them up on Amazon and they're they are.. $15/16 respectively for the XC and C options.
Seems like a viable option since those are the ones that take the most abuse. Thanks!

Coming from regular stones, if you haven't used diamonds before... use light pressure with them, or they'll wear out faster. (Just thought I'd mention in case you weren't aware.)

Yes, I have done so with a bit of Edge Pro silicon carbide on a glass plate. It takes just a few minutes and works very well.

...even with the larger grit surfaces? I would think anything less than bead blasting it would take the 70grit particles and wear them down until it was a uniformly smooth surface at a much much higher grit.

No, I am not sure how it works but if I would have to guess, I would say that the silicon carbide particles just break the surface of the stones and while doing so, expose a new layer with fresh sharpening particles of the stones original grit. In other words.... I think the silicon carbide just breaks the binding agent and does not alter the size or surface of the stones sharpening particles.

Last edited:
Interesting. I will see what kind of option i have for locating some silicon carbide. Thanks.

Back