Worried about my Vic Soldier OH

So I just bought myself a Victorinox Soldier 2008 version (2015 as per the tang stamp) and I'm pretty much satisfied with it. Bought it from our local physical knife store and the tools are amazing as always. In addition, the entire knife feels very sturdy, the blades don't hit the liners and everything seems perfect.

Unfortunately, the day after I bought the SAK, I noticed that looking at the knife from the backsprings, there appears to be a gap between the scales/liner and the first backspring. I didn't notice this when I bought the knife because it felt sturdy and the scales were firmly and completely in place and without any gaps between the nylon and the outer liner. However, this gap seems so apparent to me now, and I'm really bothered. See for yourself:

free picture hosting

The backspring appear to be thinner than base of the tool it is supporting hence the gap appears. However, when I try to press the scales together there is very negligible movement because the hinges appear to be very solid and are completely attached to the scales.

Here's another pic with the can opener tool out:

image hosting 30 mb

See the bright part where you can see the light seeping through is the gap while the dark areas on both ends are already the pins that hold the knife and the tools together.

One last pic looking at it a bit from the bottom end of the knife. You see the top part of the backspring is totally not touching the liner with the scale, except where the hinges are:

image hosting

Question is... should I be worried that this is shoddy construction? Is this normal in other Victorinox Solder OH's? I ask because my slide lock Hunter doesn't have this gap issue.

Thank you.

Last edited:
I don't think that's acceptable, or typical -- and it would bother me too. I'd take it back to your "physical knife store" and get them to exchange it for another.

I myself wouldn't worry that much. But if it does bother you, I'd take it back and ask for a straight exchange (most places are okay with that in my experience, since they can send the old one back) if that isn't a go, then by all means, send those photos to Vic. Saks will have some gaps between the springs, enough to see light, but not much more, but the way they are constructed they are tightest when open. So don't be too shocked if they consider it within spec. the main thing is the fit of the blade, since it moves, the spring is less critical.

Don't have a current GAK, but my fairly new OHT has larger gaps than any of my other SAKs. Not sure if anyone else notices similar.

So I just bought myself a Victorinox Soldier 2008 version (2015 as per the tang stamp) and I'm pretty much satisfied with it. Bought it from our local physical knife store and the tools are amazing as always. In addition, the entire knife feels very sturdy, the blades don't hit the liners and everything seems perfect.

Unfortunately, the day after I bought the SAK, I noticed that looking at the knife from the backsprings, there appears to be a gap between the scales/liner and the first backspring. I didn't notice this when I bought the knife because it felt sturdy and the scales were firmly and completely in place and without any gaps between the nylon and the outer liner. However, this gap seems so apparent to me now, and I'm really bothered. See for yourself:

free picture hosting

Question is... should I be worried that this is shoddy construction? Is this normal in other Victorinox Solder OH's? I ask because my slide lock Hunter doesn't have this gap issue.

Thank you.

My OH Trekker, which came into my hands in 2007, is the most heavily used SAK I own. It has gaps, but fewer and thinner than any other in my collection, including a brand new Sportsman I have had less than a week. Light can be seen between the back springs, although not at the rivets where everything is tight. All of them work perfectly, and frankly, I hadn't even noticed the gaps until I took a look after reading your post. But I didn't expect a Sebenza for the price. Especially for the money, Victorinox products are very well finished, and I wouldn't complain about any of mine. However, if yours bothers you, by all means send it in. A customer has the right to be fully satisfied.

Last edited:
The gap does look atypical and more importantly, if it bothers you, the best solution is to return it and get one that suits you. In my experience, even if I had to fix it on my own, it will never the same as getting it without flaws, real or perceived. When I buy something, I gotta have that new owner feeling and no buyer's remorse :D

I've EDC pocketed SAKs exclusively for 50 years. If I understand correctly they (Victorinox) have a no questions asked warranty and will service/repair/replace whatever wear and tear their knives receive. Swapping out for another new one shouldn't be a big deal providing there is a demonstrable flaw or fault. I can't make out much from your pictures but if something is loose or not put together right that's pretty good reason.
Quality control at the factory is first class when you consider how many 10s of thousands of affordable knives come off their line every day. There isn't much 'hit or miss' about their operations.

I've EDC pocketed SAKs exclusively for 50 years. If I understand correctly they (Victorinox) have a no questions asked warranty and will service/repair/replace whatever wear and tear their knives receive. Swapping out for another new one shouldn't be a big deal providing there is a demonstrable flaw or fault. I can't make out much from your pictures but if something is loose or not put together right that's pretty good reason.
Quality control at the factory is first class when you consider how many 10s of thousands of affordable knives come off their line every day. There isn't much 'hit or miss' about their operations.

I have seldom seen any consumer products as well made, remarkable for the price. I am also a fan of Leatherman tools, also well made but not quite in the same class for fit and finish. If Vic ever makes anything like their one handed pliers based tools, I'd be all over it.

Back