Worst nightmare came true: PD confiscated my ParaMilitary..

Any news on this Garageboy?

I just got a summons in NYC for a pocket clipped leatherman:
http://leatherman.com/products/knives/e306x-e307x/default.asp

10-133 (c) - while I was on my way home from work (where I use the screw drivers and blade on the tool)

local PD threatened to arrest me for it being a "gravity knife"

looking for some information on what happened previously, and if its worthwhile to get a lawyer involved...

His court date isnt up yet but im sure but when it is im sure he'll post up more info after. In any case, he's been busy and I dont think hes been thinking too much about the issue now.

wb99, since they took the knife there is a chance it will be present at the hearing, but most often it will not be at the first apperance. I suggest that if you live in NY that you spend a day going to court now and watch how this type of summons is handled by the judge in your part of NYC. Where was it ( Brooklyn - Bronx -Queens)? There will be a few lawyers who are in this room ( the Summons section) and if you want a lawyer get one who knows the judge and court clerk in that section ( court clerks stay in a section for years-judge move every few weeks).....The summons is in lieu of an arrest, the gravity knife is a class A misd, this is a violation....good luck....did you buy the knife in NYC as that may help you to state you did( with a reciet)....they sell this model knife in most Target stores....

(5) Without prejudice to the generality of subsection (4) above, it shall be a defence for a person charged with an offence under this section to prove that he had the article with him—

* (a) for use at work;

* (b) for religious reasons; or

* (c) as part of any national costume

For human sacrifices??:confused: :D

(5) Without prejudice to the generality of subsection (4) above, it shall be a defence for a person charged with an offence under this section to prove that he had the article with him—

* (a) for use at work;

* (b) for religious reasons; or

* (c) as part of any national costume

For human sacrifices??:confused: :D

Very droll.
I'm allowed to carry my fixed blade knife, tucked in my sock.
Except it's hose and only when I'm wearing a kilt.

In Britain we have a significant Sikh population; a warrior people whose religion makes it an act of faith to carry a kirpan. Similarly, it's mandatory to wear a helmet when riding a motorbike; and a safety helmet on construction sites - except on religous grounds.

It's to stop know nothing nitwits from using it as an excuse to harrass a racial group.

GarageBoy, have you gone to court to see what will most likely happen? Did you get a lawyer?

good luck GB - I am pulling for you intently!

are you going down to the bway court house?

Per Tom19176's excellent suggestion for my summons, I may visit the court house this week.

Garageboy, good luck, and maintain the knife is used for your job and you where coming directly from your place of work to go home and you where dressed as you where at work ( I believe these are all true facts based upon this whole post). This should still be considered a violation and not a misd. and this is IMPORTANT as pleading guilty to a violation and paying a fine leaves you with a NON criminal record in NY, but a Misd conviction ( or guilty plea) would create a criminal record for you. Make sure the ADA agrees that the charge is clearly a violation as defined by NYS PL and not a misdermeanor.....Good Luck

Alright guys! Case was dismissed after I showed judge letter from employer. On the way out the Public Defendant said to me, "just be careful kid"

Alright guys! Case was dismissed after I showed judge letter from employer. On the way out the Public Defendant said to me, "just be careful kid"

Wow!!!

Terrific news!!!!!!!!!!!

That's great, thanks for posting it.

Really, really great.

Great going, GarageBoy.

Great news, you can apply for return of the knife ....info on back of the porprty voucher......

Since you weren't convicted I would apply to get the knife back. No reason it should be sitting in an evidence locker or destroyed.

Back