Worth selling my rmd to get an ASH?

So I am considering selling my rmd to get an Ash. Am I crazy? I have a warden and rodent solution. I also own a grohmann # 3 nearly identical in height and weight as my RMD. Am I crazy? Help me decide.

ASH is pretty darn cool, but I'd rather have a RMD if it were between the two.

Both if you can afford it or Rmd all the way! I use it for everything. it's an extremely useful blade. You can always but the combat grade ash that's currently being offered on the website. Oh snap, I wasn't supposed to say anything :D.

If I sell the rmd, I can get the ash and the 411 which I also want but can't justify owning a rmd. Or maybe just by a 711.

There is something about the ash that says to me, get the ash. It's in between a large and small blade and is near perfect. It's near indestructible but not too large to use. Go after the new ash 1, it's worth the price. Of course the right thing is to have both, but given the choice, get the ash.

It's in between a large and small blade and is near perfect. It's near indestructible but not too large to use.
Now look at that description and tell me it doesn't apply to an RMD! ;)

No, I wouldn't sell an RMD to buy a Battle Grade ASH. Might sell one to buy a Battle Grade SHBM, though. :)

No fair adding the shbm. That is a different conversation. 😀

I love my RMD. The balance of this knife is hard to beat. ASH is no doubt one great knife too. But if it was between the two I'd keep the RMD.

I wouldn't sell my RMD for any 5-6 inch knife, however this is my favorite size range of knife so I would add to the collection. The ASH will do NOTHING your RMD wont and to me it isn't as comfortable in use.

Now where is Andy to defend the ASH??!?!

I have both Infi versions a infimandu and an .22 ASH-1. I will say that there are completely different knives. Not that the Mandu is a slouch but the ASH-1 is a beefier knife. I think that both can do Camp chores. If you are lucky and can carry any kind of knife that is not a folder like I have to do in an urban setting, I would think that the RMD would be more practical. If you are in a pure rural setting or hike a lot I will say go with the ASH-1 it would do everything that the RMD can and then some. However it is a heavier knife and would get you tire quicker. It all depends why you will use it for. I am with Timmy and bld522.

About the only thing I could see the ASH being better at than an RMD is chopping, but at 6-1/2" it's a wee bit on the short side for a chopper. In fact, the ASH for me is an in-between knife . . . too thick to be a utility knife and too short to be a chopper but capable of functioning adequately if not ideally in either capacity. Having said that, I would not consider myself underequipped in any way if were shipwrecked on a desert island with an ASH. ;)

I think if I wanted a chopper and I were going to stick with SR101, I'd be looking for something more in the 7-1/2" on up range. The Rodent 7 would be an excellent choice. But it's sold out. The Rodent 9 is a beast of a chopper, though. And it's in stock. :)

Last edited:
I wouldn't sell my RMD for any 5-6 inch knife, however this is my favorite size range of knife so I would add to the collection. The ASH will do NOTHING your RMD wont and to me it isn't as comfortable in use.

Now where is Andy to defend the ASH??!?!
.... right here mate :)

Now this is difficult as these are probably my two favourite blades.....EVER...!!!! If *I* am to choose ONE (that alone would be a cruel and unusual torture) it would be the ASH1. But that is me and, like cars, women and boots, these are very personal choices. I never try to buy too far into telling others what they should and should not do/like. You would be well served by either of these two knives...no question. Your best bet would be told hold both and decide what works for you.

My one and only blade would be a .22INFI ASH1 in case it needed stating again.

Yep. My one and only would be my Camp Tramp. It's the knife that brought me to BF in the first place. But my RMDs would be very close seconds. :)

Back