Wostenholm Gardening Knife

A post in another forum caused me to get-out this old Wostenholm gardening knife. It was well used and loved. It is an old grafting knife. The flipper (don't know the official term) at the end is made from old-time elephant ivory and, as you can see, was worn down over the years. In this thread you can post gardening knives or Wostenholm knives or anything else you think might be vaguely related.
Wostenholm068.jpg

how about a vic florist knife I done the works on?
Vicfloristfileebony1.jpg

Vicfloristfileebony.jpg

you've already seen these S-k But others haven't :)

Elephant ivory splitback whittler I-XL wostenholm
Before:
IXLsplitbackb4.jpg

After:
IXLsplitback.jpg

IXLsplitback1.jpg

received this Farriers knife yesterday, made by George Wostenholm, the I*XL is still there, although the tang stamp has pretty much been rubbed away, I do not think the bone handle is original, not totally sure, I have seen them with wood handles in catalogues. this knife is very different from the norm.

Rusty1

ixlfarrierww7.jpg

This knife was from an earlier thread, posting it again, as it is a Wostenholm.

Rusty1

ixlhawkbillnp6.jpg

Great knives Rusty1. I really like the pressed horn on your hawkbill. The handle on this jack knife is a composite material.
Wostenholm031.jpg

Here is a Wostenholm lockback that some of you have probably seen in another thread. Odd jigging to the handles.
IXL.jpg

s-k, I was looking at one of those Jack knives last week, the small blade tang had :-

George
Wostenholm
Sheffield

where the large blade tang had

George
Wostenholm
Sheffield
England

Can you tell me if the large blade was replaced, So far I understand that, before 1891 the tangs on Wostenholm cutlery just had "Sheffield" on them, after 1891 they added "England".
My initial thought was, that the smaller blade was original, and the larger had been replaced.

By the way s-k, thanks for starting the thread.

Rusty1

My grandmother used to do grafting in Veracruz but I know nothing about it.

I do own a grafting knife, bought some 30+ years ago in Mexico, the blade is flat ground on right side, concave on left, the stamp reads on the left side:

GEBR.
WEYERSBERG
SOLINGEN

On the right side of the tang there is a (somewhat faded) image of a bugle.

Luis

Click to enlarge

Well, I can't decide whether this is a gardening knife thread, or a Wostenholm thread, so I guess it's both! Nice knives showing up here; thanks everyone!
Here's an I-XL that is a whittler-styled cattle knife.
IXLStockWhit-1.jpg

IXLbackspring-1.jpg

Great knives everyone. I'll have a look at my small sample but I think you may be right Rusty1. Don Luis, the 'flipper' on yours looks like it folds in....many of them are fixed...interesting variation. Waynorth I am intrigued by that particular configuration.

In the early days of stainless steel, Thomas Firth & Sons was the leading manufacturer in Sheffield. While some large cutlery companies began making their own, Wostenholm bought their steel from a Firth & Sons. You can see their trademark on the back of the large tang on this pen knife.
Wostenholm038.jpg

IXL-P2.jpg

Interesting! These old horti-knives are attractively aged, think some Sheffield maker still does things like this, but the quality?

Fantastic s-k, marvellous looking bowie, and in excellent shape too. drool!

Rusty1

Picked this one up last week, George Wostenholm Presidential Knife, all U.S. Presidents & their term of office, are engraved on the blade, the last president listed is Eisenhower, with no end date of the term, so I am assuming the knife was made just after the start of that term, 1956. The blade is highly polished, and hard to photograph to bring out the detail of the engraved names, had to put a black board in front of the knife to get a decent image. The blade has some scratches, which can be seen in the photograph, they are somewhat surface, hope to find someone that can buff them out.

Rusty1

presixlvl3.jpg

presixl2wg7.jpg

Great knives shown. Not being a horticulturist, I have to ask. What is the function of the flipper?

And, yeah, that bowie/hunter is sweet!

Amos Iron Wolf, please take a look at a posting from the Schrade collectors section,

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=453165

an explaination by smiling-knife, of how the flipper is used, about half way down the page, plus towards the end of the thread, the reason why, we should post about Wostenholm knives elsewhere other than the schrade forum.

Rusty1

Back