Would cryo treatment help with a CRKT blade

I was thinking that if we couldnt get CRKT to change thier steel selection maybe we could do something about the edge holding, would it be possible to take apart a Companion and send the blade to someone for a cryo treatment. Would it help with the edge holding and where would I need to send it to............

you can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear. crkt uses what they do to make a profit at a certain price point.

You could do that, but it wouldn't help the blade any. You see, the cryo treatment has to be done before the final tempering. CRKT would have to incorporate this into their heat treat. I doubt that you will see this in knives of this price.

I think it would be cheaper to just make a 1095 or D2 blade, and Heat-treath that yourself. Won't looks as pretty, but it sure will cut better.

Greetz and take care, bart.

If you really dislike their knives that much, why don't you just exercise your rights as a consumer and buy something else?

Or is it easier to complain?

Chris

I have seen claims of dramatic increases in tool lifetime with post heat treat cryo, specifically in regards to drill bits. A friend of mine tried this however all he found was that it made them much easier to break. He just dipped them in a dewar of LN2 for the cryo. If you are going to try it, then for optimal performance you would want to do a post cryo temper to transform any martensite that has formed, as otherwise the steel will be in a highly stressed state. As well, cryo often leaves a region of the surface uneffected (have not seen the depth specified), so you won't see any benefit, even if it does induce one, until after the first full sharpening. This is something I have planned to look at, probably first with the Cold Steel Twistmaster.

-Cliff

Like mtnbkr suggests, I think it would be easier to simply buy another brand if you don't like the way CRKT knives hold their edge. Then again, you can always sharpen them when the get dull. :rolleyes:

Might be cheaper to have a custom knife maker disassemble the crkt knife, then make a copy of the blade in a premium steel and then reassemble it.

Cyblade,

This is part of the fun...finding the blade you want in the steel you want, with your favorite handle material, bolster, guard, liner, grip, length, blade geometry...and many other variables.

If you are so in love with a certain shape or type...find someone to make it to your specs. Othewise, quit your bitchin' and wait around for the perfect knife...like the rest of us! :)

Steve-O

The problem is Pat Crawford already makes the knife I want in the steel that I like the only problem is it would cost about 375.00 and I dont know how long the wait time is. You cant tell me you've never bought a knife and wanted to tweak it to make it better. I'm just trying to take a knife I really like the CRKT Companion and make it alittle better. Much like I really want an ATC vietnam hawk I'm fixing up my little Cold Steel vietnam hawk to fill the void until a better job comes my way and I can afford the ATC version. I guess I should just gather up some tools read up on knife making and start useing the CRKT pieces as patterns to see how they make them, might just save me some cash.......

Cyblade, if you don't ask the questions you will never know tha answer. As far as it goes though, CRKT make a heck of a knife for anywhere near what they sell for, just the way they are.

We all want to have our cake and eat it too, but in reality it's very hard to find any one knife that you cannot find any fault with.

I would like a better steel on my Bladelock but it's really not that big of a deal.

I would also like ATS-55 or ATS-34 on all of my swiss army knives but I don't think Victorinox or Wenger is going to do that anytime soon.

But just to do my part, I'll fire off an e-mail or letter begging for a better steel too.

Hang in there,
Allen.

Back