Would INFI get any benefit from powder metallurgy?

Powder metallurgy is now the way to make steel. On the other hand, main benefit from powder metallyrgy is extremely fine and even grain structure. If INFI has from begin with grain structure fine enough, it would not get any benefit from powder metallurgy process. How is it?
If anyone knows, I would also like to find out how INFI compare to cpm-1v.

Matti,
Welcome to the Busse Forum, glad you stopped by.:D

Great question. To be honest I don't know.
However, this is what I do know. Jerry and Busse Combat do extensive testing on ALL metals and processes that would either make INFI better or possibly be a replacement for it. If there was a chance it would increase the performance they would be using it now. The only thing that I can see that would stop them from using something that could be proven to increase the performance would be cost. (ie if it is only going to be a marginal increase with a huge price increase then the cost/benefit is way out of line)

First off, INFI is the best out there. No one even comes close.
However, Jerry is not sitting on his laurels, he is constantly looking for something that might come forward to give it a run..

If it works or is better then Busse would be doing/using it.

One thing I will tell you. You have asked a honest question and if no one can answer it with an honest answer and data, I will call Jerry and get the answer.
We on the Busse forum will not shy away from asking or answering the hard questions.

Matti S.,

Good question! We have explored this very question. Powdered metallurgy can offer some very strong benefits in certain ares of knife performance. However, it is not possible to take the same analysis from a smelted steel and transfer it to a powdered construct and achieve an improvement. Carbide dispersion is very good and can therefore greatly affect the amounts of carbide formers that are included in the mix. If we wanted to achieve the same level of performance as INFI in some areas, the analysis of the PM would look nothing like that of INFI.

Thanks,

Jerry

I coulda said that!!

I thought he was just looking for the simple "no comparison" answer.

Mike

Jerry wrote:
...it is not possible to take the same analysis from a smelted steel and transfer it to a powdered construct and achieve an improvement. Carbide dispersion is very good and can therefore greatly affect the amounts of carbide formers that are included in the mix. If we wanted to achieve the same level of performance as INFI in some areas, the analysis of the PM would look nothing like that of INFI. ...
:cool:

Translation:

Apples = Apples
Oranges = Oranges
Apples Do Not = Oranges
and...
Oranges Do Not = Apples
They don't even look alike, let alone Taste alike...

Is that better now, or worse? :p

INFI Powered,
(Does Not = INFI Powdered) :cool:
Climber Clif

May be I did not understand correctly, but (after the amazement, that I was notised) the answer of the Jerry Busse started to puzzles me. How greater dispersion of carpides can change properties of steel so different (worse?), that it needs more carpideformers to get as good (wear resistant?) it was before? I did thought greater dispersion may increase impact toughness and would do nothing more.

Back