Would this function?

So iv been debating buying a straight razor for a while but with the prices they are i thought id go one step further and make my own.
So i did a little reading and fooling around on autocad and this is what i came up with im just curious if the people with experiance shaving this way think it would be functional.
my_straight_razor_concept_by_woe_bringer-d46zzs2.jpg

and if my image thing dosent work heres the link http://woe-bringer.deviantart.com/#/d46zzs2

The steel is going to be S30V and the handle i havent decided yet.
so what do you guys think?

It all looks ok apart from the stop pin. Sometimes you need to be able to fold the handle right back out of the way to get access to the left side of your face with the razor pointing forward. Most straight razors don't have a stop pin for this reason.

ooooh alright ill remove the stop pin and ill move the butt pin in a way that will keep the blade from swinging to deep into the handle

Most of the handles have a swivel pin at the head and then no spacer in the butt pin, so the handle tapers. The hollow grind ensures that the blade is covered, but the thicker spine stops it swinging all the way through.

Furthermore, those models that utilize a stop pin simply have it set farther down the handle than the tail of the razor extends, thus allowing it to still catch the shank when closing, but not interfere with fully opening the razor.

The butt end of the razor DOES usually have a spacer, but it is a thin wedge which provides support for the material, and still causes the handle to significantly taper.

thanks guys!
i apprechiate all the info
and please keep it coming
oh and i just did a little figuring and if and when i decide to go ahead with this project ill be using water jet and to make it cost effective i will probably end up with about 6 blade blanks.
would anyone be interested in one? for the right price of coarse if not ill use the rest of the bar for another project.
(and i know i cant sell anything until i upgrade im just curious if its worth making a few extra)

my goal is something thats easy to maintain but will keep and edge and Aldo's got some great prices.

You can get a shave ready vintage blade for about $30-40 bucks. Add a cheap strop, you're looking mebbe 50 bucks to try out shaving with a straight. How much will the material cost you? Do you have the stones(literally) to properly hone the blade to shaving readiness? I applaud you considering making your own blade, you obviously have access to some fancy equipment, but without having a properly honed blade to compare it to, how will you know if it is done properly?

When most folks learn how to hone a razor, and it is different than a knife, they get a shave ready razor for a professional honer to compare their results against, what are you going to compare yours against?

Jeez man you sound like im spending your money lol
I learn by doing if that means i mess up a few bucks worth of material before i start getting results im proud of im alright with that.
If i find out im not capable of getting the thing sharp enough there are many wonderful people here who can for a fair price.
Thanks for your concern tho.

If I had a dime for every pound of steel I ATTEMPTED to make a knife with I'd be doing alright. If you want to talk about spending money think of all the belts that were used to make a knife and then screwed it up anyway!

If I had a dime for every pound of steel I ATTEMPTED to make a knife with I'd be doing alright. If you want to talk about spending money think of all the belts that were used to make a knife and then screwed it up anyway!

^This. :D

But seriously, it's awesome that you're looking to try your hand at razor making. It may be on the upswing, but we need MORE people doing it for sure! :thumbup:

Keep us posted! Maybe after this project you could try some Sheffield-style 8/8" wedge grinds... ;)

So what grind are you considering doing? Out of curiousity, what setup will you be using to make the grind(wedge, 1/2 hollow. full hollow, etc)? Most folks don't have easy access to water cutters, so I'm curious what kind of setup you intend to use.

Interested in your progress as well (and maybe a blank or two, keep me posted). Definitely post some pics as you continue!

I've made a couple straights, they're quite different from making knives but very fun to do!

As for the grind I’m really not sure yet I’m still reading about the differences when I go ahead with this (could be a while lol no one hold their breath) I will make a WIP thread for sure, thanks for the interest though.
All the progress IV made so far is pricing material drawing my blade lay out so I can get as much as possible out do the steel and figuring out handle material.
I’m glad someone’s interested in the blanks id only be selling them to offset the cost of making these.
Thanks again and when this eventually really gets off the ground I’m sure you will all be entertained by my eventual goof ups and what not lol.
Have a good night guys.

I picked up a Straight Razor yesterday for $10 US, cleaned up the finish with a majic eraser and some Flitz, sharpened it on a 4 sided diamond hone (200, 300, 400, and 600 mesh) followed by three Spyderco ceramic bench stones (medium, fine, and ultra-fine), followed by an old belt with white rouge on it, then a proper two sided strop from the Art of Shaving. I shaved with it the same night and it was a pleasure. It can be done inexpensively if you have the tools and knowledge. Making knives takes way longer for me then sharpening old vintage equipment. :)

I have thought more than once that I should try to make my own razor sometime. I need to make contact with Butch Harner to see if he would tolerate a visit to his shop sometime before fall turns into winter.

Back