Would you be interested....

in doing some modifications to this knife?

Buck 111 Classic, aluminum scales with "Arkansas" and "Rebel" ingraved on them.
DSC03023.jpg

Basically, I want the engraving gone and replaced with something a bit more.... subdued, and I wondered if you could install a tip-up pocket clip?

Thanks!

Andy

I don't think I'm the man for removing the engravings. But I could put a clip on it for sure.

I'd suggest contacting Bob Pickle to remove the engravings because I have a feeling he is better equipped to remove the pins if need be and replace them with something closer to original than I am. If I did it I'd replace all the pins with barrels and screws and since I've not done that on that model I can't say for sure its even feesible or possible to do on the lockbar or spring holder because I am not sure how much meat is there to work with on those parts. The spring holder on that model is smallish in size compared to many I've worked on. The only way I see to remove the engraving is to at the same time remove the heads of all the pins holding it together and normally I don't mess with pinned knives that much anymore and sold most of the stuff used to work on those style folders a while back. I still get by for some things but the vices and other tools needed I no longer have.

If you want Bob's contact info give a shout. He is someone you'll be glad you met trust me.

STR

Yep thats the man. I can do it don't get me wrong. I'd just not be as equipped these days to replace pins as I am to use the stuff I routinely use everyday which is barrels and screws.

Looking at a stored pic I have of a 110 it does look like there is sufficient meat in the metal to drill a 1/8" hole in them and use barrels and its hard to tell but those pins look larger. I doubt they are 1/8" diameter but they look bigger than 3/32 to me also so I guess its possible. I am of course assuming yours is very similar inside if not identical to this. It looks like a 110.

Anyone know?

STR

You know I have some 1/8" thick aircraft grade aluminum (6061 I think it was) that I could make new scales for keeping those originals or depending on what you want to spend I could do it in textured G10 with no liners or .110 thickness titanium even anodized a color or bead blasted. Options are all there but it would be a take apart folder the way I'd do it and not pinned like it is now.

STR

OK, this is all new to me, you'll have to slow down a bit for me to follow.

Basically what you could do, IIUC, is, you could replace the scales with new, thinner aluminum ones, but use the same pins. Or, you could remake the thing pretty much with totally new scales in titanium or G10 with no pins?

Right?

Andy

No the old pins will be discarded. I won't repin it. I'd rebuild it and make it an all screw construction if I did it. If I were doing it for myself I'd use some Ranger Green textured G10 by itself with no liners under it, teflon washers in the pivot (very thin) and I think that would be very sweet indeed! Can't be sure but it may even weigh less that way. I'm not sure how thick the scales on there are now. I assume no wider than 1/8" or slightly over. The aluminum would be very similar but plain with no markings.

Now on G10 I have textured or smooth. I have various thicknesses of titanium from thinner than what is there now to thicker.

STR

That sounds really good. Can you shoot me a PM with some prices, maybe? Don't forget, I'd want a pocket clip also.

Thanks!

Andy

Back