Would you have a 22/20 savage converted to a 22 magnum?

My favorite hunting rifle for bush bumming and casual hunting is a savage 24C 22 rifle with a shotgun below. I was given a 22/20 3 inch the other day missing some parts that I have replaced. It shoots great. Iron sights at 25 yards places all shots in a red dot the size of a dime. Since I have other 22 combos, I would like to have a 22 mag combo. This combo is getting harder to find. The question is this. Would you have the chamber reamed out to accept a 22 mag? It would decrease the value of the gun. The 22mag would increased the versatility of the gun. I would have to stamp the change on the barrel as well. The conversion would be cheaper than buying one in that caliber.

JMO But for just hunting a 22 mag is a little hard on small game.

I'll keep it the way it is, but I"m bias as I've been looking for a 22/20 for a while now. I usually only ever see 22/410.

I'd have a hard time deciding myself. I love an accurate .22 mag and I know they can be used to down bigger animals with a well placed head shot. It's the most common round used by poachers according to the game warden.

If you already have a combo similar that you're happy with I'd go for it.

If not, I'd just carry some slugs for big stuff and leave it alone.

Definitely keeep it as is! It'll be worth some bucks in years to come. If you have to have a 22 mag, but one but don't convert what you have.

JMO But for just hunting a 22 mag is a little hard on small game.

I try and shoot most game in the head. Why trash the meat. I do agree that it is somewhat hard on small game. If you are not using a ballistic tip, a full metal should just zip through. My son's 17 HMR trashes game more than the 22 mag in my opinion. I'll have to try and compare damage again since it has been awhile hunting with both guns in hand. A friend is having a problem with squirrels around his game feeders and begs me to come out and shoot them. I just think it would be a great combo survival gun. I need to figure this out. Thanks for the feedback.

I guess I will have to scrap the 22mag idea. Called some gunsmiths in the area and they don't want to do it. The 22/20 will stay as it is and I will have to find what I want. Thanks for the replies.

I haven't bought any for awhile, but Remington use to make 22 l.r's that are a hollow point design.

I actually have a Savage in .22mag/20ga. The sights are WAY off, learned that the hard way... missed a squirrel with it that I would have NEVER missed with my bolt action .22. Got curious, set up a pop can maybe 5 yards away... rested the gun, took careful aim, proper trigger technique, MISSED THE ENTIRE CAN! Last time I shot it. Probably 17 yrs ago or so.

I actually have a Savage in .22mag/20ga. The sights are WAY off, learned that the hard way... missed a squirrel with it that I would have NEVER missed with my bolt action .22. Got curious, set up a pop can maybe 5 yards away... rested the gun, took careful aim, proper trigger technique, MISSED THE ENTIRE CAN! Last time I shot it. Probably 17 yrs ago or so.

The front sight and elevator on the the 22/20 was missing . I had to move the sights around to get the rifle to shoot right on.. I wouldn't get rid of the gun and use it more. Try different ammo and shoot for a good tight group. Some guns like certain brands of ammo. After the tight group is achieved, move your sights accordingly. One one of my 22/20 I had to file and renotch the rear sight. You may have to move the front sight right to left. Use a brass drift. The rifle and shotgun will probably not shoot the same with the slug, but you can use Kentucky windage and elevation, meaning shoot a little to the left or right to compensate. I don't like doing that but it will work. You are shooting two different barrels. You could put a double rear sight that folds down, one for each barrel. Pull the rifle out again if you like. They are real game getters.

I've got a Savage 24 in .22mag/.410. I think I'd leave yours alone. Maybe they were thinking lighter rimfire with heavier shot shell when they put your together and a little peppier rimfire with a lighter shot shell for my version...

Very interesting. Do you have first hand knowledge hunting with modified ammo? Looks like the ammo expands well. Thanks

Yes,yes I do. The "modified" nose hits very hard and is consistent in performance (expantion). It's a simple tool not much of a needed learning curve. a BIT PRICEY but mine cost me basically nothing., Everytime I went to the range to shoot I'd pick up others left brass what I didnt use went to the recycler.Recycle money bought it.:cool:

Yes,yes I do. The "modified" nose hits very hard and is consistent in performance (expantion). It's a simple tool not much of a needed learning curve. a BIT PRICEY but mine cost me basically nothing., Everytime I went to the range to shoot I'd pick up others left brass what I didnt use went to the recycler.Recycle money bought it.:cool:
Smart move. Maybe I can talk a few guys into throwing in and buying one to try. I have always said that with a 22 I can get anything I need.

Back