Wow! Kobra rocks

I just got home from work and "The Box" was on the table where I leave my keys. My wife and I chatted about our days for a few seconds before the spyderco went to work on the box. Well, sliding that knife out was impressive. The scabbard is beautiful, perfect fit, snug but not too tight, the karda and chakma are held securely but can be removed easily. I guess living in sinus alley has its compensations, 90 degrees and 90% humidity agrees with the leather. Holding the knife and lightly swinging it takes a little getting used to. It is like there is something extra to the knife, like there is a little extra inertia in it somehow. Follow thru will not be a problem with this knife, it feels like you could slice thru a telephone pole with it. It isn't that it is heavy, it just feels dense somehow, like it is heavier than it should be for it's size. The spine is 13/32 just in front of the bolster, which is stout for a blade only 1 1/8 wide at the same point. As far as workmanship goes I am well pleased, the blade appears flawless. Frankly that was the only area that I would have raised a fuss about, a forging flaw would have been a probable return. The bolster is nicely fitted with no gaps at blade or handle, the handle is slightly raised above the surface of the bolster but not by much. I had forgotten about the rather unusual pommel with three conical whamacallums sticking up. All three have steel centers and I am assuming that one is the end of the tang and the other two are nailed on? I am not sure about that but the center thingie has a much larger piece of steel peened over and filed to match so I think my guess is good. The pommel is 1 3/16 wide and the tang is offset to the right by about an 1/8 of an inch, odd but not objectionable, at least not to me. The horn handle is black with a red cast and has a streak of white feathering or grain down the back in line with the spine, running from bolster to pommel. There are the normal grooves around the grip, leaving two distinct diameters, with two small, narrow decorative grooves just in front of the functional ones. Theere is a small cut parallel to these like Kumar started a third groove and changed his mind, it is shallow and only about 1/4 inch long and only noticible because it has the red polish in it. The handle took a little damage at some point leaving a small triangular gouge on the side near the pommel where something rubbed in transit, easily fixed and not deep enough to change the contour of the grip when polished out.
Holding the Kobra my first impulse was to hold it too far back, with the flare of the grip against the heel of my hand. That didn't work, choking up a little changes the feel like magic, the knife comes alive in the hand and is much more nimble. The confidence that this knife inspires can only be compared to my 5 1/2" .44 Ruger Blackhawk.

Overall, I cannot believe the value that this knife represents, this is unboubtedly the best money I have spent since my marriage license! I still intend to display this knife on my wall, but after holding it, I also intend to use it. I have a feeling that I am going to be looking for things that need chopped all weekend!

Ron:

How large is it and who made it? My Kumar-made Kobra is not like the renditions I have by Kesar and Bura.

S.

Spence:
It is a 20 inch Kobra by Kumar himself. I should mention that it has his initials K.M. above the six pointed star by the bolster and Degavashi (is that spelled anywhere close?) script saying I don't know what up at the angle of the blade.

Bill, thanks again and when I get a chance to cut some stuff up I will try and post again. Man this knife makes me want to take off all my clothes, dye myself blue and conquer a small country!

Originally posted by RonS
Spence:
It is a 20 inch Kobra by Kumar himself.

A 20-22" Kobra by Kumar is on my "to get" list. My 20"-er is by Bura. It's gorgeous, but doesn't strike me as being for field use.

My 18" by Kumar is thick and heavy - not what I thought a Kobra was. It's slim, but not very light. However, it's beautifully balanced. It performed better than my 18" Siru when I took the two out a couple of weeks back. But, the Kobra is an ounce lighter than the Siru.

S.

Close guess on the state Ferrous, raise the rear sight one state. I live in the Miami/Whitewater valley in SW Ohio.
I was also surprised by how heavy the Kobra is, I expected a much lighter blade but the slim part is only in the width. I cannot imagine what a 20 inch AK feels like, Thor's hammer comes to mind. I would not hesitate to carry this khukuri as part of my preparedness supplies, it is sturdy and feels solid in the hand. I had planned to buy an AK, WWll or M43 to replace my K-bar as my bugout blade on the theory that I might want the extra width in case I wanted to use it for digging etc. I may reconsider that and have an folding E-tool instead for the same weight. If I get the Glock I get a saw too. We'll see, I still want some more Khukuris though.

Back