WOW!!!!

:
I have spent a couple of days looking around in here and just spent some quite considerabe time checking out Chuck's page. I checked out some other collections here as well.
smile.gif

I have to say WOW!!!
I didn't know there was so much history around the balisong. They are some very beautiful knives portrayed here.
biggrin.gif

I can only claim one in my collection of varied knives and I mostly have khukuris. I also have a beautiful Keris that's very old and one of the Keris Moro Swords that originate in and around the Phllipines. It was very interesting to see a beautiful old balisong from England. I would never have guessed.

The balisong I have is probably not that good of an example, but I have learned that it locks up both ways like it should and it has minimal damage on the latch and blade. It hasn't been manipulated that much either.
It is a Valor, Miami,Fla. and is marked "Silver Dragon" on the blade. The other side is marked
440 Stainless and 557 Japan.
It may not be much, but I will keep this poor example of the beautiful art of the Balisong.
biggrin.gif

Thanks for a good "tour."

------------------
>>>>---¥vsa---->®

"I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

........unknown, to me anyway........

Khukuri FAQ
Himalayan Imports Website

I certainly wouldn't turn down that balisong that you own.
ghostface.gif

It can be overwhelming if you search out everything about the balisong. Chuck's site is full of awesome information, Clay's site ( www.balisongxtreme.com ) is full of techniques, every site has it's strengths and uniqueness.

------------------
Cameron

011.gif
"It takes a killer...to stop a killer"
uriel.gif

A few of my balisongs
My Photopoint album

[This message has been edited by BalisongMan (edited 10-19-2000).]

Yes, I agree... balisongs kick @$$.
smile.gif

Also, do you have any pictures of that Keris Moro Sword that you were talking about? I'm not sure what one is, but I may have seen one before.

P.S. - Welcome to the joy of balisongs!

-Peace-

Thank you for your very fine compliments. Like many things, balisong knives have quite a depth once you get past the "movie bad guy" reputation. I hope you'll keep contributing here on the forum.

------------------
Chuck
Balisongs -- because it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing!
http://www.balisongcollector.com

There them wavy blade swords. chek out this link for some cool moro stuff http://globe.com.ph/~palacio/moro_blades.html
I only own one nice sundang, a couple of nice punals, one crappy barong, and a number of Luzon spanish-american war inspired bolos. Not to metion one bataangas balisong (nicest balisong Ive ever seen), and a generic FMH. And thats the extent of my own Philippine weapon collection (got other things too but lately Ive been becoming a purist in wanting ethnographic Filipino weapons).
Originally posted by KentDog:
Yes, I agree... balisongs kick @$$.
smile.gif

Also, do you have any pictures of that Keris Moro Sword that you were talking about? I'm not sure what one is, but I may have seen one before.

P.S. - Welcome to the joy of balisongs!

-Peace-

:
Thanks for the nice welcome guys!
smile.gif

And sorry, there are no pix of the sword. One of the guys that posts on the Himalayan Imports forums is starting to get into some handle repair for those kinds of swords and mine needs repaired. Mine is one that looks fairly old and has some forgeing folds in the upper part of the blade. The blade still has a lot of the quenching carbon on it, at least that's what it appears to be.
I know it's dayum-edly Sharp!!!
The handle lost its brass or copper bands that actually hold it securely onto the blade I am told. I plan on sending it to BA to let him fix it. It has a beautiful balance and very quick in the hand.

Being lazy, I would like to ask what a FMH is? I have seen the term a time or two and havent seen the words that match the abbreviation.
smile.gif

And another question is why can't an individual bring in a balisong from the P.I's for their own use?

And one more is, can you actually buy real balisongs from the P.I's and what can you expect to pay for a fairly good one?

I have read that many of the balisongs blades were made from Willy's Jeep springs and that they were supposedly very high quality, any truth to that?

My personal opinion is that some of the things I have heard, like the handles are really sorry and fall apart easily may be true for some tourist models, but in actualality the really good ones have to be top notch quality kinda like the khukuri in Nepal. The local people buy the khukuris from village kami's, blacksmiths, and that if they're not good the people take them back and yell loudly about being cheated.
Somehow I feel that's true with the balisong as well.
Am I wrong for thinking that?

Thanks.
biggrin.gif

------------------
>>>>---¥vsa---->®

"I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

........unknown, to me anyway........

Khukuri FAQ
Himalayan Imports Website

[This message has been edited by Yvsa (edited 10-20-2000).]

Yvsa,

A FHM is a Filipino Hand-Made balisong.

Your other questions I'm not certain of but I'll give it a shot and somebody can correct my mistakes:

First of all, of course you can find a bali in the Philippines and often they are made of auto springs. Unfortunately, an individual cannot bring one in because it's illeagal to import them as far as I know. Stupid? Yes. But that's the way it is.

I believe, however, if you can get someone in the Philippines to ship you one, it will get past customs.

Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by Disco Stu (edited 10-20-2000).]

Back