Wowie,.....Owyhee !

Gary W. Graley

“Imagination is more important than knowledge"
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Just received this Scott Cook small Owyhee with S30V Blade and Desert Ironwood full scales, excellent fit and finish!!!
If my hands were much smaller, it would not have fit, so be warned you fellas with big paws, you may want to get the Large version!

I was fortunate enough to do a trade with Feverdoc...Doc I owe you one! ;)

The blade is ground down thin enough to really slice well and shape of the blade is, very handy for all sorts of cutting chores!

Even though I'm a dyed in the wool Wharncliff fan, I do like this blade a lot, the point down a little which helps if you need to apply
pressure down on a work table with the knife.

Scott puts in two sets of thumb hatching on the back of the blade, very handy!

Here is a scan of my knife and I'll also post a scan of the spine of the handle, has a very comfy palm swell going on there!

Exceptional work Scott!

attachment.php

Enjoy!
G2

Spine showing off the iron wood and the palm swell Scott makes in his handles...

forgot some specs!

Blade is about 3"
Overall length is about 7"
from the guard tip to the back end of the bottom of the handle, not the very end it is only 3 1/4" so that is where it can limit you large paw fellas!

The palm swell, thickest part in the middle is about 5/8" wide, very comfy! ;)
G2

attachment.php

ps
Forgot to provide a link to Scotts Web Page

Thanks Neil, very reminiscent of your knives in the way the handle feels! All of your knives also have a nice solid grip as well!

G2

Very, very nice Mr. G! I think you love Desert Ironwood as much as you love Wharncliffes or as much as I love stag! But Gary, it has the dreaded choil notch that you so depise! ;)

Originally posted by Gene
Very, very nice Mr. G! I think you love Desert Ironwood as much as you love Wharncliffes or as much as I love stag! But Gary, it has the dreaded choil notch that you so depise! ;)

Man I love it when friends know me so well! :D

Yep Gene, it has a notch BUT not like the ones I do so despise, you'll note on this one, the way that Scott did it, that there is a less sharp cutout, so that if material happens to fall into the notch, it would SLIDE on out and up into the edge, I'd prefer NO notch but this is tolerable! ;)
Please see enlarge area below:

attachment.php

I have a large Owyhee in Ironwood, bought it at a gun show Scott attended in Boise about six months ago. I noticed his prices are going up as he and his work becomes more well known -- and it is deserved. The knife is beautiful!

Bruce Woodbury

Very sweet! My large Owyhee hunter in S30V and stabilized amboynia burl is one of my favorites. It's also one of the sharpest knives I own.

Gorgeous knife Gary...I really love the profile on that guy....congrats.., and thanks for showing us the pictures....

"Hunters seek what they [WANT].., Seekers hunt what they [NEED]"

Very nice Gary. I have a couple of Scott's knives, and he does beautiful work!!

The Cobler ended up making a sheath to carry this knife in, while the sheath that comes with it is nice and works, but for me it was too wide and caught the attention of those I didn't want attention from! ;)

See the sheath on this thread and no I'm not taking any orders for Fixed blade sheaths...sorry guys/gals! :)

See the Sheath for this knife

G2

What a pleasing effect, evident from the spine-view, yielded from the careful 'continuity-matching' of the grain, from one side of the tang to the other....if you didn't catch it, check it out!! It is elements like this that make a good custom knife a truly 'custom' experience. Kudos to Mr. Cook for cookin' this one up!!

Well I had sold this a while back when I was pressed for dollars, sad but happens as most of you know, well a very good friend out in the wild west and I have come to terms and she's enroute home to me today ;) Sweet! Can't wait, it is a very nice knife and I'll certainly TRY to keep her home on this range for a long time!
G2

And Stevedge, I agree that wood matching workmanship looks nice on that handle!

and guess who will be waiting in the wings to snag it if you ever decide to sell again ;)

Owyhee hunter and a G2 sheath...thats almost as good as a Henchman and a G2 sheath.... :footinmou

Thanks John...but she's staying put this time, funny thing is, the sheath has a date of Sept 02 on there, what timing eh?

Got her back today...sure did miss her! now she be a slim small knife but quite handy! And razor sharp, that S30V really cuts well!

Here is another shot of the bolster area...

attachment.php

G2

Back