WPC presents the 3rd annual Norcal Seamen Slinger Extravaganza

"I don't care if it rains or freezes 'long as I got my plastic Aquaman sittin' on the dashboard of my car."

I'm on my way, look out fish...

Awesome :) I've got fins, mask, snorkel, and belt w/ some weight (probably needs to be dialed in again, especially with wetsuit). Today's the last day I can cancel the rental reservation, so I'm going to go ahead and do it. What kind of oil can I contribute for cooking?

XL hood has your name on it. See you up there! gonna be a blast.

Just got back to San Diego. Thanks for being such gracious (using the term super loosely) hosts. I think I ate enough abalone in one sitting to keep me fed for two days. I think I'm still burping it up.

Some ab in the Abalone Intelligence is gonna lose his job.... WPC instead of WMD this time around....

Just wanted to drop a quick note of thanks to the WPC for making a new guy feel welcome :thumbup: Also, mahalo nui loa to EgEd for making it possible for me to hit the water, and another one to Matt and John for teaching a noob and having the patience to put up with someone who's been out of the water for far too long.

I'm hooked! Planning on making it out again in November, I'm itchin to pop an ab now. :D And I definitely want to take that course with Laird...lots of skills I have to learn or practice anew...my downtime and ability to equalize sucked big time on that dive.

I'll pop a few pics in here when I get them uploaded later.

HM, for someone that hasn't dove the north coast you did exceptionally well. Those conditions sucked, visibility was about 3 to 4 feet and you hit bottom far deeper than any noob I have ever seen on your first dive. Of course you're Hawaiian and that gives you a leg up on all of us. Looking forward to diving with you again soon. Glad you made it out!

I look forward to diving with you again soon, 762. Looks like I might have to make another trip up to Mendo though.

Didn't really take many pics during the trip...seeing as I didn't want to be "that weird guy who was always taking pictures", but here are a few I snapped:

310a3327.jpg

b26e0d3a.jpg

6a4974c5.jpg

41657b43.jpg

260a891b.jpg

What a great time! Jason, great to meet you and chew the fat while we were chomping on abalone. I think I was pulling out as you were waking up HikingMano, sorry we did not meet. Thanks for the pics! That had to be the SSE requiring the most persistence yet, all the divers definitely earned their dinner even if they didn’t manage to pop an abalone themselves or not. The ocean certainly tested everyone’s nerve and skills diving in low visibility and rough conditions. Fortunately the dive leaders, the food, the camaraderie, the food, the scenery and the food added to the unique north coast environment to make for one hell of a time. …I’m still tired and I had to bail early. I already can’t wait for next year.
Thanks Pirates!! ….now to kill fish with an arrowcard…soon, every soon…

Ah! Yes, I was wondering which one of the crew was McHellfire. Heard a lot about how skillful of a diver you've become! I look forward to meeting you next time :thumbup:

Yes, hope to dive with you soon someday! I've become really proficient with missing shots on fish, setting up the shot, giving it a pause and then watching the flying shaft sail safely past the fish :rolleyes: I managed to miss a shot on the only black rockfish I saw all weekend on Thursday just to keep up my rep ha ha! Glad you had a good time, and look forward to meeting you next dive for sure!

Great pics HM! Matt or I will add a few new pics tomorrow.
Here is my favorite from the weekend-
100_0129.jpg

Another great Seamen Slinger Extravaganza for sure. This year the planning process encountered many an obstacle. The usual venue for the party of parties was closed do to some whack politicians and their fiscal prowess. Then it was a B.S. parade of back and forths with the local states people of sonoma county. Finally we decided on MacKerricher SP in Mendocino county. A friend/ranger had some nice private spots set aside for us where our jovial exuberance and mid-night howling would not be to much of a disturbance. Well when we arrived we found that some bureaucrat decided it would be best if they closed down 3/4 of the park. We then found some adjoining campsites that would accommodate us, staked our claim, and bounced to meet up with ocean for our first dive.
In the long run it seems that all the complications were really just the Fates conspiring to save us from the red tide and massive abalone die off in sonoma county. It is nice to be blessed.
A local buddy had offered to bring his boat out to take us diving on Wed morning. We met up with him in Noyo harbor and headed out to find calm seas and decently clean waters.
100_0070.jpg

We pulled some abalone but ended up skunked on the fish. A few people had some gear adjustments that needed to be made. My brother, who had flown in from Phoenix looked like a shar pei in the wet suit he had worn last year and was a little chilled on his first day. Fortunately there was plenty of days left to get everyone's gear dialed in.
Back at camp more attendees had already arrived. They had quickly flew the colors as a warning to those who would be camping near.
100_0094.jpg

We did a quick review of proper abalone etiquette.
100_0077.jpg

Its important they say but if you want you can just go straight into pounding away on them.
100_0079.jpg

100_0080.jpg

It is very important to thoroughly pound an abalone. They should be pounded until they are completely soft and relaxed. I generally pound them real good on one side then flip them over and pound the other side equally well. Then they are so incredibly tender when eaten. They really melt in you mouth. Oh man I am getting hungry just thinking about it.
100_0084.jpg

There really isnt much that is better eating.
Thursday morning more people arrived. The seas had really come up over night and this day ended up a serious challenge for some. After getting tossed by some rough seas we settled into a nice tranquil dive spot. We all swam far and dove hard to get some abalone that day. That night the sound of beating meat filled the campground well into the dark.
100_0114.jpg

A meal hard earned was celebrated around the campfire.
100_0112.jpg

The next morning it was on again.
100_0091.jpg

The gear was loaded and the trucks proceeded in caravan. The seas were still rough and the viability had progressively gotten worse. We got in where we could.
100_0124.jpg

Never mind the dead seal on the beach that was partially decapitated.
100_0130.jpg

I am sure he probably just ran into a rock going really, really fast or something. Nothing to worry about folks!
Once again the divers worked hard but it was easy to see that the previous days diving had seriously upped there comfort levels. While I am sure that fatigue had also taken its toll, I still think this is the best way to be introduced into free diving on the North Coast. I feel the total immersion allows a new diver to move thru many of the obstacles so much quicker.

More to come...........

Last edited:
Oh no....oh....no....why did I go!!! You people are a very bad influence. mmmmm...look what I did.

Hawk1.jpg

Plannin to pick one up myself down the line... All this pirate love of the hawk has really got me wanting to pick up a "good" one.

Plannin to pick one up myself down the line... All this pirate love of the hawk has really got me wanting to pick up a "good" one.

HM, I will bring up a few of my Equinox Coronado hawks the next time we go diving. With any luck, I will have one of the 5.5s with me at the time. Seeing the evolution of the handles is a confidence builder all its own. The one I showed you at SSE was a Gen 1. They only get better.

OK then.......where was I. Once again the water was cold and dark but everyone busily explored the underwater world. The fog was thick which made it even darker in the water. Still we were able to find some abalone and I did manage to shoot the only fish of the week, a little black and yellow rockfish. Friday night we had another amazing feast.
100_0138.jpg

Saturday morning we had another new diver HikingMano, in the water and the conditions were even worse. We jumped into a spot with a calm entry and the vis was zero. At the bottom you couldn't see your hand. we worked the shore hoping to find a pocket with some better vis. Finally we tried this double ended sea cave that has an open ceiling in the middle. This beautiful clear water appeared. It wasn't the clearest water but compared to the cowboy coffee blackness outside it was amazing. The cave itself is real magical feeling place and it was a great opportunity for a new Norcal diver to actually see what is under there. We dove there until the surge and swell got to be to much. While you didn't get to pop any abalone I hope the dive was worth while and you can get back out there soon under some better conditions.

Besides diving and eating there was a great amount of fun. We explored the local tide pools.
IMG_1752.jpg

IMG_1771.jpg

IMG_1780.jpg

Tested, traded, and played with a ton of gear.
Survival Resources once again sent a huge assortment of awesome gear. We tested some there and then.
100_0168.jpg

IMG_1817.jpg

All top notch stuff.
We played with knives
IMG_3136.jpg

100_0120.jpg

and 'hawks
100_0081.jpg

100_0087.jpg

100_0086.jpg

100_0085.jpg

and just kicked it on some of the most rugged, beautiful coastline in the galaxy.
IMG_1717.jpg

IMG_3148.jpg

IMG_3120.jpg

IMG_1744.jpg

A special thanks to Fluid Film for keeping us lubed and rust free. A lanolin based lubricant and rust inhibitor. This is amazing stuff that everyone should check out.
http://www.fluid-film.com/
And to PrimalWare makers of the arrow card. While the world was anxiously awaiting your product we got to use it. You know you want one.(patent pending)
100_0089.jpg

Also a big thanks to Clif bar. Without Clif Bars products there is no way I would have been able to guide freediving for four days in a row under such conditions and still been able to function. Their shot gel is a great product for when you need that extra boost. They would make a great addition to one's emergency kit.
http://www.clifbar.com/food/products/

Also a special thanks to all the Crew who provided a great deal of booty. Avalanche Sheaths maker of the best designed Kydex around. Johnbar and his customized tomahawks were too incredible. Stealhead maker of the worlds best sour dough bread. He'd be rich if he had a bigger oven. Tess, the second greatest s'more maker in the world. Edge, your wise legal council is always of great assistance as is your familiarity of the bail posting procedure.

This year we had a grand prize. We didn't keep the best track over how big everybody's abalones were(mine were by far the biggest) and the conditions were pretty bad for fishing. It was decided to award this jewel encrusted priceless trophy of precious metal to Steelhead/McHellfire. To watch someone take to the sport of freediving like you have is outstanding. For going from someone who has never dove to someone who is helping the new diver, to someone who has sacrificed and sold valuable possessions to buy new and better gear, called in sick to work because the ocean was flat, who now misses fish like he has been missing them his whole life, who has had his ass handed to him by the ocean and smiled about it, who has gone all in in the pursuit of underwater bliss, this buckle is for you.
100_0232.jpg

More to come........

Back