• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

WTB 10XX round bar

I am looking for plain 10XX steel in round/hex/square bar, no recycled springs/crowbars/etc new/old steel barstock only please. Not really looking for anything larger than 1 inch, preferably less.

Is 1018 okay with you? :p

The highest carbon in the 10xx series that I have ever seen is 1045.

Last edited:
Sam,

I'm not sure what your looking for but I have some 1045 in 3/4" and 5/8"

Dave from Diller

He's got that cool little hammer to put to work!

Have you thought of 5160? Ray Kirk has a good supply of reasonably priced 3/4" 5160 round rod.

I have a bunch of 1045, just looking for some higher carbon stuff if it exists. Phil, good to know I know also Karl Anderson might have a few lengths left of 1 inch square 5160 also.

Have you considered W1 drill rod? Pretty similar to 1095 and widely available in any size you want.

Sam give Aldo a call, he had a ton of 1080 in 1" square the last time I checked.

Sam,

Dan's right. I have it in 5/8, 3/4, and 1", but only 4 or 5 tons of each. And the other Dan is right also, I have a stock room full of W-1 rounds and flat bar from 1/4" x 5/16" to 1/2" x 1.(Oooh, 1/2" x 1" W-1 cold roll. Make me want to start the forge just thinking about it)

Call me, you only live 45 minutes from me for crying out load. You can come and get it. I'll even take you to Newark. We can can make a day of it in the "Iron Bound District". Be sure to bring an Aluminum Baseball Bat. About a 32 will do!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aldo
"The NJ Steel Baron" in The Kingdom of Carbon

Last edited:
I've been using cold-drawn W1 square. Its drawn near Pittsburgh:

http://www.precisionkidd.com/home.htm

MSC and McMaster Carr are re-sellers. Both also carry W1 drill rod (round stock) and rectangular bar in narrower widths (up to 3/4" wide in 3/16" thick, and 1" wide in 1/4" thick, I think).

The W1 is really nice stuff. I have some extra 3/8" sticks if you want to play with one.

Hmm, 5/8 square 1080? I'd be interested in a couple of sticks of that to pick up at
Ashoken. Love integrals, but as a beginning forger it'll be a while before I try to
make any.

Dan,

All you have to do is keep trying till you get it right. When you do someone gives you a Master Smith stamp. Tell me when you want to give it a shot and I'll get you some 1/2" x 3/4" CR W-1. Just perfect for integrals.

Aldo

Back