• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

WTB/ Forge or mill scale.

I'm interested in buying a large amount of mill scale for use as ore in my tatara. I need about 100 kilos before my next smelt, but if you could put me in contact with a steel mill that is willing to sell some by the ton I would prefer that.

Thanks
-Dan

Last edited:
Called Reade. They want to sell by the box car load.
Reade is a non-stocking distributor.

They purchase from

Albert Bros in CT.
This is a steel processing plant
phone 203-753-4146

Eric Albert, President, is the person to talk to.
Left him a message to call back

Hope this helps,:)

Surprisingly, Mr Albert called me back! I was very up front with him about what quantities I was considering. He said that tho they had not shipped in small qty perhaps they could. His definition of small is a trailer load, 18 wheeler, filled with 55 gallon drums. LTL?

I asked him about the iron percentage and he said about 70%.
They had not tested for carbon. He did say there were some hydrocarbons. the cement companies found that useful.

He estimated the cost to be about $1/lb. If that included shipping I do not know.

I left it with him that I would be talking with others and get back to him.

I will talk with Mike Blue and prof Potraz(sp?) at the U of M and see what they say.

Are you near CT. ?

Intresting...
I'm 4-5 hours from CT. Why?

Did he specify if it was 70% iron or iron oxide? Pure Fe3O4 would have 72% of its weight from iron so if its 70% iron that's pretty dang pure stuff.

If you had been closer I thought you might have been able to drive there and get some for yourself. But thats a long way to drive with current gas prices.

He did specify but I do not recall what he said. Call him if you wish. He seems to be a pretty good guy.

Back