• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

WTB Sambar Stag

Im looking for premium sambar stag only. I'm not shy about spending money for the good stuff. My favorite is large rolls that I can cut into matching scales. Also tapers I can split into scales.
email me at brucebump1@gmail.com

I'm not having any luck finding roots of ohio web site. Could you link me up?

He doesn't have a website Bruce. He's been selling the bulk of his stock the last couple of years semi-wholesale. The last of his stuff was listed on ebay but I'm not seeing it anymore, so I'm guessing he sold it off.

*Most* of good stag I saw at Blade that various people other than Culpepper had, were from his stock. I've bought enough to recognize his handwriting and marking system. There's a fair bit of it floating around through various vendors at the moment. Pricey, but it's mostly seriously premium stuff.

Kockheiser of Alaska Fossil Ivory. He was at Blade and his stock is from Rootes of Ohio, previously known as Banyan Bay.

Thanks guys. I'll check with Roote of Ohio. I've dealt with him before and he does have the good stag but not wide enough for the bowie Im working on.
Do you guys have anything in your own stashes you'd trade or sell? It should be a roll that is 1.75" wide or a matched set of scales at least 1.50" wide.

Bruce, I wish I could help you, unfortunately most if not all my stock is 1.3" wide or under, except for tapers where they'll be larger in one dimension, but not the other.

Tim Balda (rootes_of_ohio), sent me boxes of his stuff to pick through, and while it was all premium, he made it very clear that all the larger stuff was all gone. Obviously I know makers with some good wide stuff stashed away so I'm sure you'll be able to bribe a friend, but I'm betting that's the route you'll have to take.

I did see a couple of larger rolls that *may* have yielded what you're looking for, but they'd have to have been studied very carefully.

I am going down to Culpepper within the next week or two, and I'll look/ask there for you.

Bruce I have a set of extra large scales. It'll be the week-end but I can get you pictures and size. If your still interested.

Bruce, I wish I could help you, unfortunately most if not all my stock is 1.3" wide or under, except for tapers where they'll be larger in one dimension, but not the other.

Tim Balda (rootes_of_ohio), sent me boxes of his stuff to pick through, and while it was all premium, he made it very clear that all the larger stuff was all gone. Obviously I know makers with some good wide stuff stashed away so I'm sure you'll be able to bribe a friend, but I'm betting that's the route you'll have to take.

I did see a couple of larger rolls that *may* have yielded what you're looking for, but they'd have to have been studied very carefully.

I am going down to Culpepper within the next week or two, and I'll look/ask there for you.

Javan, yes, please have a look at Culpeppers. It may be picked over as right after Blade Show may not be the best time to look for the good stuff. Thanks in advance friend.

I seldom use scales. These were for a project that never happened . Too large for anything I do. They do have nice grain and color.

Back