WTK: Victorinox SwissTool

Victorinox has the most non-descript information about their multi-tools I have recently encountered. There was only a single specimen at their SHOT SHOW booth and no literature. Their website and customer service sales folks really weren't very helpful either.

So, the basic question, what differentiates them beyond the obvious? Are the all the same basic design? Are they all the same size and weight? Are there certain models to avoid or, certains ones that are better?

Any general thoughts regarding the SwissTool versus the other multi-tools (AKA Leatherman's, ect.)?

Thanks!

Just in case you haven't checked iether of these places,
they offer some good reviews:

http://www.knifecenter.com/knifecenter/xtra/multis.html

http://www.bladeforums.com/features/faqmultitool.shtml

IMHO, I thought they looked pretty cool till I got my hands
on one, the blades stick together just alittle (It's not that
big a deal to me, I've never really had a problem with my WAVE)
They are big, and heavy (even Vs. a WAVE), I had to choose between
the Vic. or my Leatherman WAVE two years ago, I still love my choose!

As for the different models, I'm pretty sure it's just the differents
of that one or two tools.

These have been talked about on here for awhile, there are people
on both sides, I hope one of them will write something :)

I'm just a Leatherman kind of guy! :)

I have owned and used three of the SwissTool designs: the original, the RS, and the X. They are absolutely identical except for the selections of tools they contain. I favor the X combination.

Everyone seems to have strong opinions on the relative merits of multi-tools, just like knives, but the important part is that I have not heard many complaints about the SwissTool doing its job well and reliably. The majority here seem to prefer Leathermans; a solid minority, including myself, prefer the SwissTool. Both are excellent and the differences are more a matter of preference and aesthetics than of actual capability.

--Bob Q

On the Equipped to survive website you find a comprehensive evaluation of both the Leatherman and SwissTool and many more:
http://www.equipped.org/toc.htm

The evaluator also prefers the Wave. I have quite a few Leatherman multitools and a SwissTool X. I like the SwissTool more. Stronger IMHO. Just slightly heavier than the Wave. Only the Leatherman Supertool is stronger than the Vic.
You should handle both of them first and decide which one you like better. I was several times disappointed when I have bought knives solely on the basis of reading enthusiastic reviews about them.

Sid, If you haven't already do a search on the Swisstool. You will
find my comments along with sevaral others on this tool.

Mostly I found the Swisstool to very disappointing compared to Leatherman
or other tools. A shame to as I really like the Swiss army knives.

The swiss tool is lightyears ahead of any compedator, with only one significant problem, it's too heavy.
Nevertheless, here are some of the advantages:
1.The edge of knives, file, saw and other tools are inline with the handle. That means you can cut close to flat surfaces.
2.The handle locks in 90 degrees, which alow you to use it with more force on the screwdrivers.
3.It is also locks FIRMLY (unlike the supertool or whatever, that always move about when you try it) in a little less than 180 degrees to extend the reach of the tool.
4.Ofcourse all of the blades can be reached without opening the tool!And they don't stick together, which I think was the wet dream of letherman.
5.The wire cutter is better than the letherman "hard wire cutter" which get sticky after a hardcore expirience. I would prefer the carbide cutters on the gerber "urban legend" though.
6.victorinox's tool's are more verstile, if less designated to be only flat screwdirvers of all sizes in a philips era.

And there are more things, but I think it's a great tool for days when you know your'e gonna need a hard working reliable multitool, for other day's it's just to heavy and bulky.

Apart from that I want to carry my multitool in my pocket, It's realy another experience.

I count myself among the "solid minority" that prefers the SwissTool. :) It's not perfect, but it does more thing right than any of it's competition. IMHO of course ;) :p

Back