WW2 Japanese Sword ID Help.

Looking for some help on identifying the markings on this sword. Was brought back by grandfather who fought in the Pacific. I've done some research but can't seem to match up any of the markings to any of the guides I have found online. Also I somehow forgot to take pictures of the full sword ha, however from my current research I believe it was most likely a naval officers sword based off the sheath it's in (which I forgot to take a picture of). One thing that I couldn't find any information on was the markings that are painted on the opposite side of the stamp marks on the tang. Hoping this link works if not I can try to upload the photo's a different way.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/sZJgYRCzNndtR4oE8

I strongly suspect a Chinese fake based on the Kanji,
But would like to see more photos of the entire sword.

Got it I'll post more pictures soon, I do know this sword was for sure brought back from the war in the pacific so not sure if it was common for US soldiers to bring back fakes in the 1940's.

Got it I'll post more pictures soon, I do know this sword was for sure brought back from the war in the pacific so not sure if it was common for US soldiers to bring back fakes in the 1940's.
The vast majority of Gunto brought back from WWII were aquired after 1945. Piles of swords were confiscated to be destroyed and some slipped out into the hands of those charged with storing/guarding them. Which were kept or sold to others. Then there were many swords that escaped confiscation and were sold by Japanese civilians to the GIs roaming the streets. Some of these had faked mei (signatures) to increae the selling price. A great many Gunto were also left behind in China and there again some show faked signatures.
Few Gunto were obtained in actual battle as one would have to get it off a dead Officer, and get it past his sargeant and everyone else in his platoon with sticky fingers. There are some for sure but not as many as sellers of WWII memorabilia would have you think.

Right now there is a red flag on the Mei (signature). The first two characters are Ikeda 池田 a fairly common Japanese last name. And the last charcter is Tsuna 綱. But the character before it is unidentifiable. At least for now. Chinese fakes I have seen in the past sometimes use Kanji that may be used in China but not in Japan.

Anyway please post further photos.

Tuned in… I have a family sword from WW2 also, though mine looks very different:

Looking forward to more pictures and information about yours!

Imperial Japanese Army Officers had a choice of whether to carry a Gunto (katana) or a Western saber,
a practice that goes back to 1868. I believe the same applied for the Imperial Japanese Navy as well.

This is NOT a Chinese fake! Your sword is signed Ikeda Kanetsuna. It has a Seki arsenal stamp which indicates it is a non traditionally made blade.
He was from Gifu province, real name Ikeda Tsutomu. He was a Showa era (1926-1989) Gunto smith.

Agree this is an Ikeda Kanetsuna. The Mei matches. The Kane 兼 is so stylized as to be unique/unreadable.
S9ZY7Q.jpg

Nobody could "read it" off the bat.
Nobody! That is a bold, as well as false statement!
Why would you even say that? I obviously read it, and provided the correct information to offset your false information of "Chinese fake".

Simply because you could not read it does not mean no one could.
Instead of trying to justify your original attribution as a "Chinese fake" by making the ludicrous statement, "nobody could read it", just be honest and say you could not read it.
Not a big deal, but your attempts of justification by insulting everyone who could read this simple kanji character speaks a lot of your mind set.

If you don't recognize that simple character as "Kane", perhaps you should study more and post less.

Nobody! That is a bold, as well as false statement!
Why would you even say that? I obviously read it, and provided the correct information to offset your false information of "Chinese fake".

Simply because you could not read it does not mean no one could.
Instead of trying to justify your original attribution as a "Chinese fake" by making the ludicrous statement, "nobody could read it", just be honest and say you could not read it.
Not a big deal, but your attempts of justification by insulting everyone who could read this simple kanji character speaks a lot of your mind set.

If you don't recognize that simple character as "Kane", perhaps you should study more and post less.
Do you read and speak Japanese? I do.
Your claim that "anyone" could read it as Kane is clear evidence that you do not. That's BS.
The only way anyone could read that as Kane is if one already knows it, or as in your case
you asked someone who did.

Anyone who reads Japanese would agree with my initial suspicion that the sword was not authentic based on'that character.

You telling me to "study more" is a f'ing joke. You have no idea who you are addressing.
You should have stayed quiet while you were ahead.

By the way, why are you in BF as a regular gold member when you are a "sword vendor"?
Aren't vendors supposed to have a different membership on BF?

I'm not here to waste my time with small minds with overblown egos.
Have a nice life and don't bother with any further BS. you are ignored.

Ha, ha. If you were going to ignore me, why not do it before your latest reply. Have the need for the last word?

Your reading comprehension seems to be as bad as your kanji skills. I NEVER said "anyone" could read it. I said I could read it, and that you could not. Seems easy enough to comprehend but... ??

Truth is, you are the one who continually uses "anyone" and "no one" in your replies.
Anyone who reads Japanese would agree with my initial suspicion that the sword was not authentic based on'that character.
Nobody could "read it" off the bat.

It seems you are psychic as well in order to know what I did or did not do.
or as in your case you asked someone who did.
You should have used those psychic abilities to read the character in question.
I can not read every character out there, and I do on occasion request assistance when stumped. This was not one of those times.
This is a very common kanji with many variations in style, but it is very clearly Kane.
To state "no one" could read it is ludicrous and reveals so much about your ego.

You telling me to "study more" is a f'ing joke.
Apparently not, I could read it, you could not, period.

you have no idea who you are addressing.
Oh, but I do, the guy who has to have the last word and can not admit when he is wrong. Also, the guy who lost this argument.
Since you are psychic you should know the old saying, "once you resort to profanity, you have already lost the argument".

By the way, why are you in BF as a regular gold member when you are a "sword vendor"?
Oooh, additional examples of your psychic abilities.
Looking to get me in trouble with the hall monitor by trying to rat me out?
I would be impressed, except for the fact, that once again you do not know what you are talking about. I have never offered a sword for sale on BF.

small minds with overblown egos.
For a great example of a small mind and overblown ego, look in the mirror.

You should have stayed quiet while you were ahead.
You should follow your own advice.

don't bother with any further BS. you are ignored.
Ha, ha, I highly doubt that, but we shall see.

Back