WW2 Japanese sword

Handle was being held together with duct tape, pretty rough but only 20 clams. I love everything with age on it!

I'd love to find something like that for $20. Is it signed? Even if not, still, anything that old and rusty is worth at least $20, you can't even feed a family of four at mickey-D's for a $20 bill anymore.I'd be itching to "clean it up and see what it looks like", but DON'T, not until you've had it checked out. Might be $20 sitting there, might be $5,000. Good luck and let us know. :)

I looked it over pretty good and no markings.
Jap%20Sword%20010%20-%20Copy_zpsxtleef8t.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Cut, but the gemetry is still there, and at least it was cut by the Japanese (assumng that Wak hilt core actually fits the tang). If it's just shy of two shaku it might have some age-I have a chisa katana/o-wak that is ruinously old, and cut down by some merchant when the edict prohibiting non-Buke from carrying katana (I'm assuming). Interesting class of Nihonto, that.

Wow JW, sounds like your right on track but it's all Japanese to me lol. Everything you see here fits perfectly when all together, I removed for photos but kept track of the order and position so all went back in the same place. This isn't something I'll be keeping due to condition, best suited for a guy to restore or parts so I've got it listed elsewhere for sale. A lot of guys watching it so I'm pretty sure theirs something desireable about it. If I recall correctly, the Japanese military had certain length regulations and would shorten blades for military service.

Looks to be a katana cut down to wakisashi length, then shortened a bit more at that point. Signature was probably lost to the cutting-down. Not a military sword to my eyes. Oil the heck out of it TODAY, if yesterday is not possible, and regularly wipe down until no more loose surface rust is left. Then keep it oiled. A polisher might be then able to do a "window" to check temperlines, grain, etc.

Back