• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

WWI Red Cross pattern soldiers' wool balaclavas

Well, winter is over. My aunt made these balaclavas all winter and now I have quite a few on hand. I'm going to drop the price to $32.95 + $5 shipping. PM me or go to my site to see whats available for colors. Lots of 100% wool clavas - still handy to have in your bag year round!

During World War I and again during World War II, the American Red Cross launched nationwide, volunteer-driven knitting campaigns to supply soldiers and war refugees with warm clothing. The pattern for this balaclava comes from the July 1917 Modern Priscilla Needlework magazine. It is made here BY HAND in the USA by my mom and my aunt, exactly like it was made for our soldiers. It can be worn as a hat, and as a balaclava. Made to order from 100% wool, a time tested outdoorsman's material (or acrylic by request)!!

Here are just a few pictures of the wool versions in subdued outdoors colors:
107.jpg

110.jpg

042.jpg

041.jpg

They can be work as a balaclava (the warmest you’ll find anywhere) or a hat as shown below:

068.jpg

user844_pic1421_1265409808.jpg

- click here for more photos, prices, custom order requests and to review in-stock options!!
Wool is a time-tested outdoorsman's material that maintains its insulating properties even when wet; these are not featherweight machine made balaclavas; they are made by hand, in the USA the same way were made for our soldiers in the first two World Wars. Hand wash and lay flat to air dry. Wool options include:

1. Paton's Brand Classic Wool available in a wide variety of colors. Wool is a time-tested outdoorsman's material that maintains its insulating properties even when wet; these are not featherweight machine made balaclavas; they are made by hand, in the USA the same way were made for our soldiers in the first two World Wars. Hand wash and lay flat to air dry.
SEE http://www.patonsyarns.com/product.php?LGC=classicwool&SPP=999 for additional color options

2. Lions Brand Fisherman’s Wool is 100% Pure Virgin Wool with natural lanolin oil, soft and warm (colors are limited as this material is not dyed)!
SEE http://www.lionbrand.com/yarns/fisher.htm for color options

Back