WWII Marine Raider Stiletto

Moraptos

Basic Member
Greetings Everyone! Mr. Newbie here . . .

My father gave me what appears to be an original WWII Marine Raider Stiletto that belonged to my grandfather. I believe it is an original issue due to the decaying aluminum-zinc alloy hilt. Numerous cracks are present on the hilt, and some pieces have broken off. Some of the pieces have been retained. The blade seems to be clean and in good condition. It has a USMC scroll as well as the Camillus name lightly etched onto one side of the blade. The tip of the blade has not been used as a pry nor are there any nicks on either edge of the blade.

The stiletto came with a sheath that does not incorporate a metal shield at the bottom of the sheath. Most photographs I have seen on the internet show the sheath with the metal shield at the bottom. I assume (always dangerous) that the shield is meant to keep the tip of the blade from piercing outward through the sheath. Any idea as to why my grandfathers was made (or issued) without the metal shield? I cannot see how it would have to do with anything with rank, but he was a major in the USMC when he retired.

My burning question . . . . Should I spend time and USD to have the hilt refurbished, or is my stiletto going to be of more value if nothing is done to fix it? I plan to pass this stiletto to my son when my time on this planet is up.

Please advise . . .

Without pictures it's hard to judge but as the blade seems fine without rust or corrosion my instinct would be to leave it as is.
Any attempt at refurbishment, cleaning or other restoration could dramatically reduce its value and future desirability.
Correct storage in the right environment is critical to maintaining its future longevity.

Back