WWII War Trophy Japanese Officers Sword Price?

I've just been given a typical WWII Japanese Officers Sword. Having done some rudementry research it looks as if it was made in 1943/4 in Sakei. The tang has been oiled :( but not cleaned, and has one handle fitting hole and makers marks etc on both sides. The blade has only a couple of blackened stars and one small area near the spine that is pitted; otherwise the blade is very clean. The "water mark" was probably produce by oil though is appealing like a choppy sea and quite pronounced. There are no chips or dings either. The grip is sharkskin and hand bound. The furniture is nice but nothing to get excited about. The Tsuba was probably guilded but most has been lost leaving the reddy brown base metal. Scabard is wood with a brown service leather covering which has shrunk slightly with age.

All in all this is a very typical, authentic and nice example of a war trophy of its period. No ancient relic but a better example of its type. It had seen service and was probably liberated in the field by British troops.

I know you will probably want more details but for the moment thats all I can provide.

What I do need to know is ballpark, guestimate of worth. $100? $500? $1000? I very much doubt that it could be more, but I haven't got a clue. I can't find anywhere on the net prices that aren't for high end pieces. Help, please.

Were there marks on the nakago/tang that identified it to the dates you mentioned? A good rule of thumb is to never assume that the blade always wore the same set of mountings.

If it's a showato in good condition, you could be talking between $600 and $1200, depending on the quality and condition. However, while not a great chance, there is a possibility that the blade is older and could be worth more than the rest of the sword leads one to believe.

If you can get the signature on the blade with any arsenal stamps or anything, or a fairly detailed picture of this "water mark" which I think would be a hamon (cosmetic or real)...it might be helpful.

Shinryû.

Back