1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

XHP Steel – History and Properties

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Larrin, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Larrin

Larrin Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2004
  2. McFeeli

McFeeli

Feb 13, 2017
    Neat insight into a relatively unique steel’s history. Thanks for the read!

Larrin likes this.
  3. jstn

jstn Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Great article! XHP was kind of a grey area for me, but this really cleared things up. I sold most of my XHP for S35VN and have been very happy with the switch.

Larrin likes this.
  4. l1ranger

l1ranger Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 27, 2017
    look forward to reading. my EDC is a domino in XHP that I am liking so far

Larrin likes this.
  5. BenchCo Spydermade

BenchCo Spydermade

Feb 10, 2014
    Really cool and throrough look at cts xhp.

Larrin likes this.
  6. Larrin

Jan 17, 2004
    Thanks!

Pr3inar likes this.
  7. jbmonkey

jbmonkey Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 9, 2011
    good article, Sir. thank you. xhp is a steel I like a lot. good to read about it in detail.....

Larrin likes this.
  8. Batmanacw

Batmanacw

Mar 28, 2018
    This is of great interest to me. The Domino XHP took a wonderfully fine edge, but it also rings as it cuts hair. It's odd. I think I like the steel better than S35VN.

Banter 247 and Larrin like this.
  9. Twindog

Twindog Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 6, 2004
    Thanks for more cool data.

Is M2 really that much tougher than M4? And how do you read toughness over an Rc range of 60-64? It also surprises me that O1 is that tough and that A11 is tougher than M4.

[​IMG]

10. Banter 247

Banter 247

Feb 22, 2019
    This is the only steel that I have ever based a buying decision on, unless you count “not D2” as a steel.

XXXHP.

11. cistercian

cistercian

Apr 22, 2015
    Fantastic timing! I was looking at a Para 2 in this steel today a friend had.
    We actually talked about how much was not really known about it...
    and the relative rareness of encountering it.
    Very cool, especially the carbide volume and shape as well as the Chromium
    in solution. I really prize stainlessness and this info was particularly helpful.
    Thank you!

Larrin likes this.
  12. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse

Apr 9, 2019
    I have a Spyderco Dice. Love the knife but I'm not a huge fan of the steel. It loses its razor edge after a dozen cardboard cuts. The working edge lasts for a good bit longer but seems to drop off way faster than D2, at least for me.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
  13. Larrin

Jan 17, 2004
    As it says in the chart, that is conventional M4 (non-PM). PM-M4 is much tougher. I wouldn’t call that a high value for O1; none of the steels below it are really the gold standard for toughness. For its amount of carbide volume the toughness of O1 is very low. Same with 1095.

14. DocT

DocT

Mar 25, 2012
    Great article Dr. Larrin. While XHP may not be as stainless as some others steels like S1 10 V, in my experience it’s been pretty good. It is certainly better than D2, which is a steel that I have enjoyed in my skinning knives. It certainly has better as retention that either D2 or 440 C.

Larrin likes this.
  15. Twindog

Twindog Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 6, 2004
    I did notice the comparison was to ingot M4, but it still surprised me. Thanks for the clarification.

I found this chart on HudsonToolSteel that agrees with you. The advantage of powder M4 over ingot M4 is virtually all in the toughness increase of powder steel processing of M4. Wear resistance is about the same. Even at a point higher Rc, M2 is considerably tougher than ingot M4. Powder M4 is pretty good stuff.

[​IMG]

16. Larrin

Jan 17, 2004
    I agree. The good toughness of PM M4 was a relatively early discovery by Crucible metallurgists when they began producing PM steels.