XL Folders & Good Vibes

I was having doubts about Coldsteel's direction after the GSM takeover a couple of years back. However! Having just seen the lineup of 5.5" and 6" folders arrive in the UK, and having handled a few, I am, once again a believer! IMO, most if not all of them pass the "value outweighs price" test, by a long stretch.

I have two XL Voyagers at the moment (pre GSM), and I agree: these are great knives that bring buyers a lot of value considering cost, materials, durability, and utility. I'll probably buy more some day, and I'm happy to hear that GSM hasn't botched Cold Steel's big blades.

These are absolute beauties! I've just bought the Hold Out 6 and an Espada large G10. They're both very slimline which is why they're keepers, although they don't have the aluminium liners like your voyagers. How are those in the pocket - bulk-wise?

Don't lose a screw from them.

These are absolute beauties! I've just bought the Hold Out 6 and an Espada large G10. They're both very slimline which is why they're keepers, although they don't have the aluminium liners like your voyagers. How are those in the pocket - bulk-wise?
I don't mind one of those in my pocket but, yes, you'll notice that it's there. At least in jeans, it's not weight, but the length that is moderately noticeable.

Wow W Weiss , enjoy that knife because that was when the Voyagers looked their best. Current Voyagers, while they may be miles ahead in terms of materials and lock design, are but a pale shadow of the beauties they once were.

CS29AXB_CS29AXC_CS29AXT_LSR40.jpg

Duly noted. Back when Lynn Thompson ran the show, they sent me a whole new knife when I accidentally broke a clip off of the old one. Heck, I still have that one, too. Here it is, my second Cold Steel ever (because it replaced the first, from which I'd broken off the clip...):

Gorgeous….what are the specs of that old-school Voyager?

Love the XL voyager in clip point!!!! I carry mine a lot in summer as a compact pocket machete when out in woods to help get through prickers. Will carry a proper machete when I can but sometimes I need to be discreet :)

Yep. I think the XL clip point is my favorite, so far, and I've probably carried it more than any other knife I own.

Three inch blade .093 inches thick, AUS-8 steel, 1.8 oz, overall length 6.875 inches long opened up.

Here's the family portrait of my clip-point Voyagers with the wee one at bottom.

Thank you for the info….I have to admit, when I see a post like yours, I wish I’d discovered CS knives a lot earlier. I was especially curious about the blade steel. AUS-8 and AUS-10 are fine by me!!!

sean2021: You're welcome. The little one and the big one are AUS-8, and I like that steel. The middle one is in VG-1 steel, which I thus far have no reason to dislike: despite reports of it being chippy, my EDC uses haven't caused any noticeable damage.

I have a lot of folding pocket knives. And, in my opinion, the bigger the better.

One of my favorite knives is my Recon XL Tanto. I carry it almost every day. It's rugged, tough, sharp, and it always impresses people written they see it for the first time.

Did Cold Steel discontinue the Recon XL?

Back