XL G10 Espada - Aus-10A vs CTS-XHP?

The CTS-XHP is $289. It has the DLC coating. The Aus-10A version is going to sell for $169 with a stonewashed blade.

I haven't decided. The AUS-10A isn't in stock yet. I will buy one of the two.

In your opinion, is the CTS-XHP / DLC version worth the extra $120?

I'd go with the 10A version. I prefer the smoother G-10. Lower price. Nice stonewashed finish. Realistically are you going to be EDCing the knife and using it a lot? If so then maybe the XHP version would be better for you.
I have an XHP version and it lives in my display case.

You can check out some testing of the 10A on youtube by Cedric & Ada Gear and Outdoors.

I prefer the Stonewash over DLC and I believe the AUS 10A is more corrosion resistant. But I do carry a knife a lot more than I use it. From what I have read the CTS XHP is a little more work to sharpen but I'm sure the XHP will keep an edge longer. I do have CTS XHP Knives but I found them for a great price, I wouldn't pay $300.00 for it( I have a XL Espada Aluminum Bolsters in CTS XHP I got for $194.50 off the forum here).

My experience with XHP is that is sharpens easily on a ceramic rod and it holds an edge way longer than AUS-8. DLC is an excellent coating. AUS-10 is brand new to me, however, and I've not had an opportunity to try it out. Between those choices, though, considering what I've been seeing in reviews, I'm not sure the extra bucks would be worth it to me. Here's why: I don't mind sharpening my knives and at this point I have enough black blades. :)

If a blade is going to be used primarily for self defense, like mine is, blade steel is irrelevant. I don't cut much with my longer knives and don't want to use any of my CTS-XHP knives because they might be collector's items some day. Besides, the only real use my large blades get is opening packages with other knives inside them, dry cat food packages and, of course, mail. When I cut cardboard boxes, I use Voyagers with 4-inch blades, so the larger knives I carry for self defense, and my EDC has been, lately, a 6-inch Ti-Lite. It's very sharp and the blade is pristine.

I've got about 12-14 XHP knives, and many are still in the box. I haven't used one of them. My beater knives get a lot of work, and most of them are 420 or 440A and two 440C knives. Technically, the Broken Skull knives should be way more popular than they actually are. They're only $65, have outstanding steel, two slabs of G10 and a touch more than 4-inches of blade. Technically, everyone should have one and be using it as their EDC. Why they haven't caught on are beyond me. I waited until my knives were on sale, then bought three or four each in five and a half inches blade length. You buy a Spyderco with inferior steel and they cost twice or three times as much.

I agree with you Stargater on the reasoning for AUS10. All my megafolders are never used to cut anything. They are a backup for my CCW gun.

The aus10 from I can gather is MORE than enough, especially in a SD blade that you prob wont be using to break down 100's of carboard boxes with. Im thinking of getting one of the large versions myself, very happy about the aus 10 offerings.

I got the Large Espada in XHP/ coyote, more for SD carry, novelty, and holding its value, don't plan on beating on it.

If a blade is going to be used primarily for self defense, like mine is, blade steel is irrelevant. I don't cut much with my longer knives and don't want to use any of my CTS-XHP knives because they might be collector's items some day. Besides, the only real use my large blades get is opening packages with other knives inside them, dry cat food packages and, of course, mail. When I cut cardboard boxes, I use Voyagers with 4-inch blades, so the larger knives I carry for self defense, and my EDC has been, lately, a 6-inch Ti-Lite. It's very sharp and the blade is pristine.

I've got about 12-14 XHP knives, and many are still in the box. I haven't used one of them. My beater knives get a lot of work, and most of them are 420 or 440A and two 440C knives. Technically, the Broken Skull knives should be way more popular than they actually are. They're only $65, have outstanding steel, two slabs of G10 and a touch more than 4-inches of blade. Technically, everyone should have one and be using it as their EDC. Why they haven't caught on are beyond me. I waited until my knives were on sale, then bought three or four each in five and a half inches blade length. You buy a Spyderco with inferior steel and they cost twice or three times as much.

It’s hard to argue against the value of the Broken Skull. However, I don’t carry mine because I don’t like coated blades, or billboards on the blade, it’s missing a lanyard hole, and the pocket clip sucks. I also hate that Cold Steel uses that silly asymmetrical thumbstud. Just make the damn thing the same length on both side!

I don't like the broken skull as a defensive knife. There is very little to keep your hand from sliding forward if you hit something hard.

It’s hard to argue against the value of the Broken Skull. However, I don’t carry mine because I don’t like coated blades, or billboards on the blade, it’s missing a lanyard hole, and the pocket clip sucks. I also hate that Cold Steel uses that silly asymmetrical thumbstud. Just make the damn thing the same length on both side!
The BROKEN SKULL is a great knife. It has good steel, is lightweight, has grippy narrow grips, long blade that could certainly be used for self defense. So why is it that I and many others don't like it? It was like fifty bucks during the Christmas sale and I just had no desire to buy any at that price, even though it was a great price.

in my opinion, COLD STEEL is too much wed to this Tri-Ad locking system. The truth is, I like the older knives better. If they weren't strong enough before, I could see re-designing them; however, they were like my old RUGER SECURITY-SIX .357 revolver. It was plenty strong enough. Why add size and weight to improve something that doesn't need it? Reviewers gripe and say lighter, lighter, lighter, stronger, stronger, stronger. And when they get something like the current Voyager line that's completely strong and completely functional. But not that many really like them. Not like the older models. Some like the new stone-washed finish on the blades. But others, like me, don't like it. And I'm glad I bought a boatload of the old models. I just wish the steel was a better grade. I like mirror-polish on my blades. I absolutely love it. And recognizing that many others like the stone-washed finish, we really should have a choice.

The Triad lock is exactly WHY I love Cold Steel knives. I will not own any folding knife that does not have the Triad lock. I value my fingers. I want the strongest lock possible. The newer Voyagers are as close to perfection for the price that you can get.

The only valid criticism of Cold Steel is in their too tight pocket clips and overly grippy handles.

The Broken Skull isn't overbuilt whatsoever. It's extremely lightweight. Thin, unlined G-10 scales. Yes the "Broken Skull" printed on the blade sucks and I agree that the DLC coating seems out of place on that model.
I can understand some nostalgia for the old Voyagers but I think that's more about how they looked and their use of unlined scales, correct? And the shift away from Seki production which has been industry-wide. So yeah they were better looking and lighter. Tri-Ad has nothing to do with that either. No way would CS move away from Tri-Ad now. It's a huge competitive advantage and the patent notwithstanding, it's essentially a CS trademark that defines the brand.
I will say one negative of the Tri-Ad lock is that on some percentage of knives, the lock the has an excessive stickiness. Other than cycling like a thousand times, I've remedied it by disassembling and lightly sanding the tang where the lockbar contacts. I wish they could eliminate this issue.

I think the Broken Skull would catch on if CS would offer un-coated blades and maybe a few different blade styles besides the clip point. I would love to see tanto and spear options.

I think the Broken Skull would catch on if CS would offer un-coated blades and maybe a few different blade styles besides the clip point. I would love to see tanto and spear options.
I think the broken skull would be a 10/10 if it wasn't coated and didn't say broken skull. Functionally it's great.

I think the broken skull would be a 10/10 if it wasn't coated and didn't say broken skull. Functionally it's great.
I would like a lanyard hole and thumbstuds that are equal length on each side. Then it would be perfect.

The Triad lock is exactly WHY I love Cold Steel knives. I will not own any folding knife that does not have the Triad lock. I value my fingers. I want the strongest lock possible. The newer Voyagers are as close to perfection for the price that you can get.

The only valid criticism of Cold Steel is in their too tight pocket clips and overly grippy handles.

I actually like the tight pocket clips and grippy handles. I'm not saying I have not pushed a few coins under one or two to lighten them a bit, but I've lost other brands with lighter clips......

Ive also broken clips on a Spyderco.

Back