Xm-18 handle screw broke in the handle nut, twisted off

Thanks, I had no idea the sheepsfoot as different. Just saved me some money on the wrong screws Hah . I'll see what Hinderer says before I order any new parts.

I have a couple of the regular sheepsfoot that I have swithed out hardware on ... and I do have a skinny sheepsfoot that I have not changed anything yet ... but I have a different scale for it ...

I will be home tomorrow I will try to remember to check them out and see if the regular sheepsfoot hardware is the same or if the skinny sheepsfoot need skinny specific standoffs and screws... and I'll let you know then.

I have a couple of the regular sheepsfoot that I have swithed out hardware on ... and I do have a skinny sheepsfoot that I have not changed anything yet ... but I have a different scale for it ...

I will be home tomorrow I will try to remember to check them out and see if the regular sheepsfoot hardware is the same or if the skinny sheepsfoot need skinny specific standoffs and screws... and I'll let you know then.

Thanks bro

Thanks bro

I took the skinny apart and switched scales ... the standoffs are very close but they are skinny specific ... the regular sheepsfoot/eklipse standoffs are slightly bigger ...

so I would contact Hinderer and see if they will send you a replacement ... hopefully they will ... and I think if you explain they will.

ErocSD ErocSD This seems best handled via Hinderer as its stuck in there, but if you need any assistance don't hesitate to let me know, I'd be happy to do whatever I can to help resolve this.

Any reply from Hinderer?

Yes Hinderer replace the stand-off and screw. I haven't received it yet or installed it so I'll update as soon as it's received and installed with a picture.

Great service although I was a little bothered they charged me $3 for shipping.

I don't really care about the money it was more about the principle that they were Petty enough to charge me $3 for shipping on an item that failed within a month.

Either way they were prompt and replaced the parts, I call that a win in my book. Thanks RHK.

I also have to give a shout out to DLT Trading Jordan followed up with me and told me to go through Hinderer they were very prompt and responsive as well

Update: Received the stand off and screw today in the mail, Thank you RHK. It's nice to have my knife back in action... man I missed this guy.

Only problem is the blade now favors one side... not sure why. Anyone ever reassembled a knife and had the blade favor one side? I disassembled it again and reassembled it just because, still leans to the right. bearings are seated properly, all hardware seated properly, screws are tight but not overtightened... it's as if the frame or liner was bent or something.

I haven't used this knife for anything other than open a couple letters of mail. It's not the end of the world but to pay full retail and only be a month old, it kind of sucks that now I have an off center blade.

See pics for reference.

Last edited:
alright well I guess I'm own my here, I'll probably try bending the liner scale and see if that helps. Thanks for all the help everyone!

Last edited:
Try disassembling and making sure there is no grit or burrs inside. Try cleaning and rotating the washers. Try the other pivot systems. Rotate the pivot barrel itself. If you bend the liner you will have gaps and likely solve nothing. I would imagine that hinderer wont warranty that. I would assemble the knife without the replacement standoff then add it last. If it fits properly than its likely within spec.

If it was centered before it will center again I would NOT bend anything.

I've tightened it and reassembled it a couple times, still the same thing. I was thinking that the liner picked up a slight bend when it was stored for week while the new standoff came in the mail. I kept it in the open position and assembled all except for that specific standoff. I was trying to keep it all together and not lose any parts.

Try disassembling and making sure there is no grit or burrs inside. Try cleaning and rotating the washers. Try the other pivot systems. Rotate the pivot barrel itself. If you bend the liner you will have gaps and likely solve nothing. I would imagine that hinderer wont warranty that. I would assemble the knife without the replacement standoff then add it last. If it fits properly than its likely within spec.

Cool, I'll try that right now...

Before you go bending stuff maybe you can swap the spacers around and get it back in shape. Some of these knives can be put back together in a certain sequence to straighten them out..did you look on line?

Titanium has a strong spring memory if needs to be bent a considerable amount to pick up a bend. Think of your lockbar. Try assembling with the blade half open thats what I isually do.

Before you go bending stuff maybe you can swap the spacers around and get it back in shape. Some of these knives can be put back together in a certain sequence to straighten them out..did you look on line?

good thinking.. I'll rearrange them. I put the knife back together the same way it was before only replacing the missing standoff with the new one. I guess it could be the stand off..... I'll check right now

Build it without your new standoff and try to slide it in after. Maybe they sent the wrong one. You should only have to loosen your screws a half turn or so for it to slide in.

Did everyone's suggestions... took it completely apart and cleaned all the bearings and wiped it all down. one drop of CLP on each bearing assembly as I reassembled. I swapped the standoffs on the bottom and middle and then completely reassembled the knife. It looks like it's a fraction of a hair to the right still but I'm not worried about something that insignificant, rub was my main concern...... I think it's good now... thanks everyone!

The tri-way system has had a lot of issues since release with tolerances and centering perfectly between all 3 systems. You could try swapping to the washers to see if it gets better.

Back