XM-18 Question

My son received his XM-18 3.5" a couple of days ago. He wasn't here so I probably opened and closed it with the flipper at least 100 times. :D :D

He's here now and we take turns fooling around with it off and on - opening/admiring it.

Last night he asked me to change the pocket clip to tip up which I did. I noted that the detent has become very easy/loose/smooth (choose your word).

I held it in a tip up position and gave it a quick "1 inch shake" forward and back and the blade flew out and locked with authority.

Next, I held it parallel to the floor with the knife closed, handle - spine up, and holding it by with my fingertips at the belt clip area (at the back) I gave it a quick shake down and the blade came out and locked.

Does this sound like it needs to be tightened or is it sounding normal?

Thanks!

mine was a bit like that too. I think it comes down to personal preference. you may want to tighten it if it bothers you.

mine was a bit like that too. I think it comes down to personal preference. you may want to tighten it if it bothers you.

all you did was change the orientation of the pocket clip?

that's strange...

Yes it is MORIMOTOM. I'm not sure that tightening the pivot as misterjuiceman suggests is the answer (it may be?).

My understanding is that tightening the pivot defeats the problem, in some cases it renders the flipper useless.

A proper detent not only holds the blade in place but it stores the energy to be able to deploy the blade, right?

I noticed since my post, a lot of blade play developed in the closed position, enough to rub the liners and wiggle the blade around. This decreases as the blade opens, decreasing to barely detectable as it's fully opened, where it locks up with vritually no blade play.

I'm going to change the clip back to see if something like that could affect it but it shouldn't.

It's not a real big deal right now, I'm sure Rob will help me out on this. :)

I know that some tip up knives have the clip pressing against the lockbar (increasing retention with the ball dedent). I can't remember if the XM-18's clip (in the tip up position) rests on the lockbar or the Hinderer stabilizer.

I know that some tip up knives have the clip pressing against the lockbar (increasing retention with the ball dedent). I can't remember if the XM-18's clip (in the tip up position) rests on the lockbar or the Hinderer stabilizer.

I was thinking something like that, or maybe the change in clip modified his hand position so he wasn't holding down the lock, and thus the detent wasn't as forceful after the change.

Problem solved! I switched the clip back to tip-up but that didn't help. I opened the blade to right before engaging the lock bar and when checking to tighten the pivot - it was floating freely. (pivot screw)

I snugged it up and that brought the blade back dead center, then I tightened it to where just an imperceptible wrist assist, fires the blade out.

Rock solid and dead centered now. misterjuiceman was right! :D :D

That 'thwack' of authority sounds great, huh?

I tightened it kinda snug for him but some wrist action fires the blade out very nicely. I'm just waiting for the day that somehow, some way, I'll own my own and it'll be a 4 incher. They're such nice folders and I'm talking about the non-customs too. :thumbup:

I get to play with this one until Friday and it's heading out of HI and then probably Afghanistan - who knows though with our current administration.

I haven't heard what General Petraeus is thinking about, since the former General got fired recently as you all have probably heard?

Check this out for insulting/confusing?? :confused:

Back