Yangdu's steals for 8/23/04 -- Who said it was an unlucky day?

I've one of each of the HI Bowies...an AK and a Rose. Both are Bowies, each can do whatever the other does, but they are worlds apart in their nature.

One's a chopper and the others' a dancer...wouldn't want to be without either!!!

edited to add: I wouldn't want to face eitherwith any lesser knife! :eek:

What was wrong with the tip? Is the Bura team the only one making the AK bowie?---JohnTrout

There isn't a thing in the world wrong with the tip, John. You have to remember i got into HI stuff after a year or two of Cold Steel blades. The proof video shows the trailmaster being pounded into a piece of maple and being snapped sharply to the side with no damage. In my youth of quality blades i actually believed that was something that every knife should be able to do. Bura forges and grinds the AK bowie to pretty thin tip. If you stuck it 1/4" deep into a piece of wood torqued it sidways it might bend a bit. fixable? yes very easily. I just didnt understand that fact. Besides, lateral tip strength should never come into play with an AK bowie. If you sink the tip of that blade into anything with any amount of force, its going go WAY deeper than a 1/4". Any farther back and its prety rock solid. Now that i've stopped being stupid, i would trust the AK bowie with my life. i mean, com'on, is it really a big deal if the tip bends? In a SD situation, I couldn't care less if the tip got boogered up. I's still have a razor sharp wedge of steel to hit the bad guy with. Besides that, about the only thing i ever get to use my AK bowie on is watermelon and quartering BBQ ribs. Want to build up your wife's forearms? get her an AK bowie:)

~Jake

Cherokee Rose...my precious...I'll have you someday!

Hell of a sad name for a knife, though, Yvsa! :(

John?

I'd never looked it up before. I agree. It is a lovely name; poignant somehow.

The Cherokee Rose:
Symbol of
The Trail of Tears
(Nunahi dunoklo hilui)

"We are now about to take our leave and kind farewell to our native land, the country that the Great Spirit gave our Fathers, we are on the eve of leaving that country that gave us birth...it is with sorrow we are forced by the white man to quit the scenes of our childhood... we bid farewell to it and all we hold dear."

Charles Hicks, Cherokee, Vice Chief on the Trail of Tears, November 4, 1838 The Trail of Tears by Robert Lindneux

Otherwise known to Cherokees as 'The Symbol of the Trail Where They Cried' , no better symbol exists of the pain and suffering of the Trail Where They Cried than the Cherokee Rose.

The Cherokees of 1828 were not nomadic savages, as were many other tribes. They loved their native hills and valleys, streams and forests, fields and herds. They enjoyed established houses and communities, and had learned to "talk on paper" like the white man. Many had accepted the white man's God, and they had translated the Bible into Cherokee language. The Cherokees had adopted a constitution asserting that they were a sovereign and free nation, and consequently were recognized by world powers.

In fact, they had assimilated many European-style customs, including the wearing of gowns by Cherokee women. They built roads, schools and churches, had a system of representational government, and were farmers and cattle ranchers. A Cherokee alphabet, the "Talking Leaves" was perfected by Sequoyah. The Cherokees even attempted to fight removal legally by challenging the removal laws in the Supreme Court and by establishing an independent Cherokee Nation. At first the court seemed to rule against the Indians. In Cherokee Nation vs. Georgia, the Court refused to hear a case extending Georgia's laws on the Cherokee because they did not represent a sovereign nation. In 1832, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in favor of the Cherokee on the same issue in Worcester vs. Georgia, but the ruling was never enforced by President Andrew Jackson. Among the few who spoke out against the removal of the Cherokee and other tribes was Tennessee Senator Davy Crockett.

By 1835 the Cherokee were divided and despondent. Most supported Principle Chief John Ross, who fought the encroachment of whites starting with the 1832 land lottery. However, a minority (less than 500 out of 17,000 Cherokee in North Georgia) followed Major Ridge, his son John, and Elias Boudinout, who advocated removal. The Treaty of New Echota, signed by Ridge and members of the Treaty Party in 1835, sealed the fate of the Cherokee. In 1838 the United States government began the removal to Oklahoma, fulfilling a promise the government made to Georgia in 1802. Early that summer General Winfield Scott and the United States Army began the invasion of the Cherokee Nation.

In one of the saddest episodes of our brief history, men, women, and children were taken from their land, herded into makeshift forts with minimal facilities and food, then forced to march a thousand miles (Some made part of the trip by boat in equally horrible conditions). Under the generally indifferent army commanders, human losses for the first groups of Cherokee removed were extremely high.

John Ross made an urgent appeal to Washington to let him lead his tribe west and the Federal Government agreed. Ross organized the Cherokee into smaller groups and let them move separately through the wilderness so they could forage for food. Although the parties under Ross left in early fall and arrived in Oklahoma during the brutal winter of 1838-39, he significantly reduced the loss of life among his people. About 4000 Cherokee died as a result of the removal. The route they traversed and the journey itself became known as "The Trail of Tears"

The mothers of the Cherokee grieved so much that the chiefs prayed for a sign to lift the mother's spirits and give them strength to care for their children. From that day forward, a beautiful new flower, a rose, grew wherever a mother's tear fell to the ground. The rose is white, for the mother's tears. It has a gold center, for the gold taken from the Cherokee lands, and seven leaves on each stem that represent the seven Cherokee clans that made the journey.

To this day, the Cherokee Rose prospers along the route of the "Trail of Tears"and are plentiful in Oklahoma, the end of the Trail. The State of Georgia has been fortunate enough to have this beautiful symbol as their official state flower.

"We, the great mass of the people think only of the love we have to our land for...we do love the land where we were brought up. We will never let our hold to this land go...to let it go it will be like throwing away...[our] mother that gave...[us] birth."

-Letter from Aitooweyah, to John Ross,
principal chief of the Cherokees-

http://groups.msn.com/TennesseeIndianAffairs/thecherokeerose.msnw

In our language it is - "The Trail Where We Cried." Some things need to be remembered less they be forgotten. The Jewish people have their Holocaust and we ndns have ours.:(

The Cherokee Rose is a Beautiful Flower and The Cherokee Rose is a Beautiful Knife, or at least I hope people who see it think so.

Steely Gunz wrote:
"Now that i've stopped being stupid, i would trust the AK bowie with my life. i mean, com'on, is it really a big deal if the tip bends? In a SD situation, I couldn't care less if the tip got boogered up. I's still have a razor sharp wedge of steel to hit the bad guy with."

The Ontario Bagwell Bowies have less than a full hard temper to them for the same purpose. I don't know if they will bend but the edge will give if it hits bone so as to still have a knife to fight with. It's been a while since I've read the info on them about the purpose of their heat treating but I think I have it pretty close.
Many of the old timey knives were tempered the same way for the same purpose.
They could also be sharpened with a file if need be which made them easier to sharpen with a stone picked up in the field most anywhere. Good idea then for a survival knife and still a good idea today.

I just got paid for a gig today, so if nobody else has put Steve out of his misery I'll do it now. Email sent on Bura AK Bowie.

Hey Nasty, sorry to see that you missed out on some cheap seax. That was a good price, even in Reno. :yawn:

The Ontario Bagwell Bowies have less than a full hard temper to them for the same purpose. I don't know if they will bend but the edge will give if it hits bone so as to still have a knife to fight with. It's been a while since I've read the info on them about the purpose of their heat treating but I think I have it pretty close.
Many of the old timey knives were tempered the same way for the same purpose.
They could also be sharpened with a file if need be which made them easier to sharpen with a stone picked up in the field most anywhere. Good idea then for a survival knife and still a good idea today.
---- Yvsa

And to think it only took me a year or two of handling HI products to understand this:D I chalk it up to me being a dumb kid that thought he knew more than he did about knives. I mean surely an edge tempered at 60 or 62 rc is always going to be better than an edge at 57, right?? I mean, 60 IS bigger than 57;).... How far i've come. Its fellas like you, Yvsa, that really help to "edg-a-ma-kate" us young bucks on the tried and true vs. the trendy hype. Without you guys, a great deal of us would still be buying knives and swords off HSN and thinking we were getting a good deal. Very appreciated indeed.
And Raghorn, thanks for getting that AK bowie. i was getting very weak and Steve didn't seem to be budging:)

~Jake

Steely_Gunz said:
And to think it only took me a year or two of handling HI products to understand this:D I chalk it up to me being a dumb kid that thought he knew more than he did about knives.

~Jake
Jake, at one time we were all dumb kids who thought we knew more about every damned thing than we did.:rolleyes:
It's part of the job description of being a big dumb kid.;)
I was one of the very worst!:rolleyes: :eek:

Now with that said, consider this.--------

Have you ever seen a Green River knife?
Have you ever seen any of the Hudson Bay knives by Cold Steel?
One of the goal's of the old mountain men every year when he went to "Rendevous" was to pick up a "Good Piece of Steel" by which he meant a good knife.
A "Good Piece of Steel" of the time often looked like an Old Hickory Butcher Knife and was of similar or the same quality!

This was a knife that was maybe 1/8" thick at the spine and most often came with an edge that was about 1/32" thick, that is, terribly damned dull.
The reason being that it was up to the person using the knife to put on the edge of their choice.
It's often thought that the fairly late "Chisel Edge" is a new thing but nothing could be further from the truth. These old knives were often sharpened with a chisel grind, that is beveled only on one side, such knives had a single purpose that generally was suited to the fur trade.
However many different edge configurations were found on these old knives to suit the individual's preference.
These knives could also be sharpened with a file, or a rock picked up in the field because often times nothing else was available.
The Cold Steel Hudson Bay knives may not be a good example other than appearance because they were made from Carbon V and it would be nigh impossible to sharpen them with just any old rock found in a field unless they happened to be the flat sandrocks we have here in Oklahoma and then it would take you a while.

These were the "Survival Knives" of the day and were what our country was built on.
A lesson can be learned from what I just said.;)

These were the "Survival Knives" of the day and were what our country was built on.
A lesson can be learned from what I just said.
-------------------------------Yvsa

Indeed, sir. Indeed. Thanks:)

~Jake

Back