Recommendation? Yaxell Mon Chef's Knife 8"

mikey488

Gold Member
Looking for a decent quality general purpose chef's knife. Thinking about an 8" Yaxell Mon Chef's Knife (80.00- 20%), or possibly the 8" Yaxell Dragon ($139 - 20%) . I would appreciate feedback about these knives and possible better options in that price range. Thanks for any input and recommendations.

Can't speak to the Mon series but I have a Yaxell Dragon Fire Asian Chef's Knife and freaking love it! I'm a home cook so can't speak to it's performance in a commercial kitchen if that's what you're after but the build quality is excellent. The BD1N of the Dragon Fire series is a great steel. Easy to sharpen, tough, and decent edge holding.

This line has supplanted my Whustoff focus and I really like Whustoff.

Mon series is 3-layer Japanese Cobalt Molybdenum Vanadium VG10, Rockwell 60-61; Dragon series American BD1N Steel Rockwell 63.
I will only be using the knife for my own home cooking, so no constant commercial use.

Yep, I'm familiar with the various Yaxell offerings I just don't have first hand experience with any of them but the Dragon Fire line. Generally speaking, I'm not real big on layered steels and prefer solid. But if I didn't have that preference, I wouldn't hesitate to pick out something from the Mon, Rain, or other Yaxell lines. I think they make a quality product.

Here's a short review I did on the knife I mentioned: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/yaxell-dragon-fire-8-5-asian-chefs-knife.1637591/

Nice review Eli :thumbsup: I'm leaning towards spending the extra $ for the Dragon.

Back