YCS Khukuri, Seax and great under the tree Knives for 12/11

Yangdu

Himalayan Imports Owner ~ himimp@aol.com
18 inch 31 ounce YCS by Kumar. Satisal wood handle. Beautiful gift for you or for friend at $185. *SOLD*

8360qof.jpg

18 inch 24 ounce Seax by Kumar. Beautiful Neem wood handle. Great value at $145.

kDYf7QO.jpg

22 inch 19 ounce HI Wajaski Sword by Yubraj. Horn handle. YBB $100.

Jji1g8c.jpg

L to r

10 inch 9 ounce YCS Karda by Kumar. Satisal wood handle. $45.

RK-1 Knife by Ram Kumar. Horn handle. $30.

gp4aLHU.jpg

L to r

5.5 inch 1 ounce Dharan Kagag Katne. Horn handle and sheath. $11.

7 3/4 inch 5 ounce Mini Micro Khukuri by Ram Kumar. Bayar wood handle. $40.

KqngK9V.jpg

Necklace #10
$38 *SOLD*
BYvXux4.jpg

Necklace #11
$38 *SOLD*
uR7aDkg.jpg

Email to himimp@aol.com
First come first served

Last edited:
EMS for Necklaces #10 and #11. Got the Done Deal. My holiday gift shopping is complete.

In my opinion the best buy of the day is the 10 inch 9 ounce YCS Karda by Kumar for $45.

If I didn't already have a couple like it, I would be all over this deal.

Last edited:
Lemme tell y'all a story with the first two pics.

13 years ago, I cut my wedding cake with pretty much the same blade.

13 years later, my wonderful bride allowed me to buy the 18" Seax just like that one.

I still say the YCS is the best deal. You get 2 YCS Kardas for say $85. And a YCS for $100! Plus a edge profiler!
THIS IS A STEAL!!!!!

EMS sent on 18 inch 31 ounce YCS by Kumar. Satisal wood handle. Beautiful gift for you or for friend at $185.

DD!!!

Potential buyers should keep in mind that Neem wood polishes up wonderfully. You can make it shine like brass, and it often displays more colors when you do that. It's a great wood.

If I didn't already score a similar Seax (with satisal handle) last week, I'd probably go for this one.

Potential buyers should keep in mind that Neem wood polishes up wonderfully. You can make it shine like brass, and it often displays more colors when you do that. It's a great wood.
How do you got about polishing a need wood handle?

I usually take fine sandpaper to new knife handles. The Kami's don't put a oil or anything on the handles. I think what you see is polishing compound. The do a great job of shaping and getting them smooth and then hit them with the wheel.

I get that compound off which often times really shows the wood, grain appears that you didn't see before. Sometimes, not always. Then I oil, sand if needed and oil again.

Sometimes if needed I hit it with a wheel after all that.

Often times the Kami's do such a nice job they don't really need anything. I always oil anyhow so they don't dry out.

Neem before:

cd0d594234dbd12d70756e5b36f804cd

d4217dfaea84b9943a3577c1892c5548

eae40fb92df2f3babe82afe37e459e65

20" AK by Tirtha with neem wood after polish and oil. Looks even better close up! YMMV.

How do you got about polishing a need wood handle?

If the handle is already fairly smooth I start with 400 grit sandpaper, then 600 grit, 1200 grit, 2000 grit. Beyond that there are various polishing powders such as rottenstone that will go up to about 8000 grit. It gets much easier at the higher grits because you are taking off tiny amounts of surface wood. Next, I apply either lathe polish (if I'm impatient) or several thin layers of tung oil over a period of days and even weeks. Each layer of tung oil should be rubbed in so it merges with the previous layer, and allow plenty of cure time for each layer (days, not hours).

One rule of thumb for recoating and rubbing in the tung oil is: once a day for a week, once a week for a month, once a month for a year. Of course only a fanatic goes that far, or if the piece of wood is a special gift for a special person. If you do this with a flat piece of high quality wood it becomes like a mirror. You can literally see your reflection inside the wood (not just a surface reflection like when wood has a heavy coat of lacquer). A knife handle is too small to be mirror-like, but it still looks great polished up.

Here are a couple of examples that I've done, using this technique.

016-Hippo-Enhanced.jpg 017-Hippo-Enhanced.jpg 003-Totem.jpg

Back