! year use and abuse: SP Gayle Bradley

Carried this most everyday for the last year or so and it is still my favorite folder that I own. :cool:

IMG_20120709_124549.jpg

IMG_20120709_124537.jpg

IMG_20120709_124528.jpg

IMG_20120709_124515.jpg

IMG_20120709_124453.jpg

IMG_20120709_124444.jpg

Did you have any rust issues near the pivot? Have you ever had to rinse the whole knife underwater unable to put oil on the pivot for hours?

Just curious how the CPM-M4 held up.

One knife for a year, well done sir.

Have experienced some rust near the pivot.... nothing major though. Hit it with a fine soap-less brillo pad then some oil and it is all good. My experience with cpm-m4 (and do not blame me if this is not the experience of others) is that it does not hold a polished edge as well as say s35vn or m390. But it will hold a working edge until jesus returns. Last I checked under a loupe I couldn't see that much damage to the edge and I have beat the balls off this thing.

Nice! The GB aged very well love that patina it developed, like a fine wine it mellowed over time.... Great info also on how the CPM-M4 holds its working edge, thanks! After a year did you find any critiques of the handle and the way it feels in the hand? Any hot spots that came about or if any issues of your hand coming close to moving up on the blade? I haven't held one, but that knife has been on my radar for some time now I always question the small choil.

I've also had my GB for about as long, and although i don't carry it everyday, I've taken it to the beach and gotten sand in it, used to (gasp!) pry out a bolt from an SUV tire, sliced mangoes and other fruit, vegetables, and even used it to cut up steaks on the grill. Maintenance has just required blowing it out with canned air and a few drops of Tuf-glide. I had to fix some tiny chips after prying out the bolt by sharpening it on a diamond stone then paper wheels, but other than that, I've just stropped it lightly. I've taken it apart a couple of times and have polished the pivot surfaces and washers, and its still as smooth and solid as the day i got it. There's barely a patina on the blade despite the non-stainless nature of CPM-M4. It's one of my favorite EDC knives.

I love the honest wear. IMO it adds a great deal to the character of a knife or any tool.

Thanks for sharing your experience with the Gayle Bradley! I just placed and order for one and it should arrive before the end of the week.

I love the honest wear. IMO it adds a great deal to the character of a knife or any tool.

Me too. Chris's Gayle Bradley is way happier than mine, which might open a box once in a while, and then has to wait its turn for me to rotate through many other knives before it seems pocket time again.

UrbanDweller, The choil could be a bit more pronounced in my opnion. However, Sufficient pressure is created with the thumb so I never felt like my hand would slide up into the blade.

Did you have any rust issues near the pivot? Have you ever had to rinse the whole knife underwater unable to put oil on the pivot for hours?

Just curious how the CPM-M4 held up.

One knife for a year, well done sir.

Why would washing the knife in water revent being able to oil the pivot for hours? A couple of blasts of air from a compressor or computer keyboard dusters blows out all the water. Seems like an odd question.

UrbanDweller, The choil could be a bit more pronounced in my opnion. However, Sufficient pressure is created with the thumb so I never felt like my hand would slide up into the blade.

Great to hear that actually, thanks your user review moved it up to the top of my want list...

The GB is such a nice knife I forget how tough it is. I was cleaning some of my guns over the weekend and gave a shot of CLP to my GB and the action is smooth as silk. I'm going to have to carry it more often! Having a knife addiction is really unfair to my GB. I have way too many great EDC knives.

It took me a little while to start carrying mine it's so nice you have to remind yourself it's ok to use.
I love it but what I always find funny is everyone is so worried about rust as if generations of old case knives just fell apart.

Why would washing the knife in water revent being able to oil the pivot for hours? A couple of blasts of air from a compressor or computer keyboard dusters blows out all the water. Seems like an odd question.

perhaps the scenarios of cutting lemons at work then needing to clean the acidity of the knife with some water is beneficial. Then for hours not being able to oil the pivot since I'll be at work. Hope this clears some things up.

The Gayle Bradley is one of my favorites. It does a lot really well. I LOVE the CPM M4 and blade shape.

love this knife. i also love gayle bradleys other work. one day ill save up for one of his custom blades. i like the up coming gayle bradley air.

Nice going letting the patina occur naturally- I would have lacked the patience and would have forced it.

Saw you moved the clip over for southpaw carry. Do you have any problems with the lock when using with the left hand?

Back