Yellowstone RV Trip

tueller

Basic Member
RV bound in route to Yellowstone from upstate NY. Send some recommendations!!!

pretty much 90 west all the way. So far it’s Mount Rushmore, badlands, crazy horse, glacier national park, Yellowstone and grand Teton. Looking for other great stops, food recommendations, Museums, parks, sights, etc. of course I like thinks sharp and loud as well. No strip clubs (wife, kids and dog would not approve).

as far as the packing list: delica, endura, H1 Pacific Salt, Esee Izula 2, Esee 6HMK, leatherman wingman, council tools Hudson Bay, and basic tools. Depending on state carrying or transporting, sig p365 and Glock 20.

thanks for any input.

Plan enough time for Yellowstone, it takes long to traverse.

Down at the Snake River, stop where Adams took his most famous photo, below my quotation:

i-B6JXcGg-X3.jpg

From the Tetons, it’s worth driving up to the continental divide. If you drive 30 more miles, you’ll arrive in Dubois. There is a great KOA, on the wind river, if you like KOAs.

Too much other stuff to talk about for here. Have fun !

Roland.

I don't have much experience with I-90 east of South Dakota, and don't know your particular interests, however, for the areas I'm familiar with (I grew up in Wyoming a few hours from Yellowstone):

- Deadwood, SD. This is old west town, burial place of Wild Bill Hickok and Calamity Jane, among others.
- Devil's Tower National Monument (eastern Wyoming). It's a little off the beaten path of I-90, however it's a neat place to visit.
- Buffalo Bill Center of the West Museum - Cody, Wyoming. Lots of awesome old western things to see in this museum. Also while in Cody, eat at the Irma Hotel Restaurant. Lots of history in this historical hotel and restaurant.

As ferider ferider stated above, there is a lot to do in Yellowstone, and in Wyoming in general.

Do not miss the museum in Cody!

Deadwood was interesting.

If you haven't driven this you need to be prepared for a lot of open country west of Chicago. Lots of open country. 90 travels pretty good, but you want to check and see where they are doing road repairs, they can slow you down a lot. The entrance to Yellowstone from the east is a mess of switchbacks up a major grade and it's not uncommon to have wrecks with RVs on this road. Also with vehicles not prepared to pull the grade and drivers who don't know trailers. I would plan on seeing the Tetons after Yellowstone and then swinging south thru the Wind River Range and catching 80 back. Always take the time to gas up when you're anywhere near 1/4 tank. You do not want to run out on some of these stretches.

Be prepared for major weather. Rain, heat, wind, hail, tornados, etc. Maybe all in the same day. Still, It's fantastic country.

^^ what he said. And one more thing: don't exceed the speed limit in WY more than 5 miles/hour, observe 30 mile/hour signs in towns, etc. Lots of speed traps, and even cops on the other lane coming against you will pull you over. They love CA and NY car plates :) Don't ask me how I know :)

Dug out a few more pictures for you, to put you in the mood:

KOA in Dubois on the Wind River

i-Jm5p4Hj-X3.jpg

i-MrbfDqp-X2.jpg

Grand Tetons, my favorite national park

i-nBmvtjK-X2.jpg

i-tV2PcNJ-X2.jpg

Yellowstone

i-PHVRqkZ-X2.jpg

i-3HsFm8f-X2.jpg

i-cPVWfx5-X2.jpg

There are big animals everywhere. You will see bears, moose, big-horn sheep, huge elk, bison, and come rather close.

i-pcHHmnB-X2.jpg

In fact, in winter, they even came to visit the lumber store I go to.

i-MpHXdxt-X3.jpg

Roland.

Not the best reception so I just saw this. Great info. Thank you for sharing. We made good time out to South Dakota. Hit the Badlands, Custer State Park, Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse. Now driving through Wyoming and Montana to get to Glazier National Park.

Then back through Montana to Yellowstone and Grand Teton. That is when I will hit the stops you guys recommended. Def gonna look into deadwood and Cody. Your not kidding about the crazy weather and car stops. We are being careful.

it’s beautiful out hear. Deer everywhere but there different looking than what I am used in the northeast. So far wild sightings are deer, bison, praire dog, long horned sheep and us campers, dirtier than all of them.
I love it out here. Thanks for the insight and I will keep you all updated

Oh yeah, Ferider, awesome pics. My wife is a photographer so I am hoping to have good ones to share as well.

Not the best reception so I just saw this. Great info. Thank you for sharing. We made good time out to South Dakota. Hit the Badlands, Custer State Park, Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse. Now driving through Wyoming and Montana to get to Glazier National Park.

Then back through Montana to Yellowstone and Grand Teton. That is when I will hit the stops you guys recommended. Def gonna look into deadwood and Cody. Your not kidding about the crazy weather and car stops. We are being careful.

it’s beautiful out hear. Deer everywhere but there different looking than what I am used in the northeast. So far wild sightings are deer, bison, praire dog, long horned sheep and us campers, dirtier than all of them.
I love it out here. Thanks for the insight and I will keep you all updated
As you get closer to Yellowstone, you'll be likely to see elk and possibly a moose or two. There's also a chance you'll see a grizzly bear in the park.

Unless you just have to make time, stay off the interstates. You get to see so much more of America by driving state highways.

Custer State Park in SD was one of my favorite places when I rode my motorcycle from MN to Yellowstone many moons ago.

(And a +1 for the Buffalo Bill Museum in Cody. It's awesome.)

Glazier is gorgeous. Drive def scary in RV. Crazy how it can be 105 degrees and then 50 degrees a few hours of driving later. The esee 6HM got some good work today and I am liking that knife more and more. National park was full so we stayed at black foot reservation. Everything happens for a reason. We love it. They are way more relaxed. Want to fish, use dead wood for fire, try diff camp grounds, etc, go for it. The staff is very friendly and I found them way more helpful with giving trail advice and directions. Saw an eagle and more big horns. No griz but I am not complaining. Talked it up with some locals. Spoke of the grizzly, mountain lions and wolves. Crazyness. Gave me fishing advice and we compared local hunting to the northeast. Great guys. 6 year old got a big lesson on leaving woods cleaner than you found it and now she constantly looks for trash, lol. More to come. You guys keep talking me into doing more stops. It’s taking away from random touristy stops at shops and I am good with that. Bare with me. Crappy phone posts. Better posts after returning.

Last edited:
Just be careful, western skies can draw you in. My dad moved us west when I was young and none of our family can imagine ever moving back east. I've lived all over the USA (8 different States) and always come back west.

Back