Yet another Bear thread - two campers become bear food

In northern Canada, when hunting bears, Griz included, anything from 30/30 to big magnums are used. But mostly it is something like a 30-06, .338, or 7mm. Not because they are the best, but because that is what the hunters that LIVE there own. Money is not flowing like water for most of those living up there, so they use what they have. It's the fly-in hunters from other parts of the country, or world, that usually carry the super big monster calibers. I lived in Fort Good Hope and Fort McPherson, both in the NWT, and have been on several hunts where bears were shot and killed. But on these hunts, bears are not really the game sought. Caribou, moose, even rabbits, lynx, beaver and ducks are always on the short list. Black bears, moose and barrenland caribou are ofter killed with .243's, sometimes .223's. Smaller black bears are occasionally killed with .22 and .22 mag! Caribou as well. This is for the sole purpose of preserving meat and skins. Almost anything is hunted with one of the following; .243, .308, .270, or 30/30, 7mm, .338, or .303. This is because that is what they own. If they need to kill a 1000lb grizzly, they use 12ga slugs, because it is the biggest thing they have. The slug will go in one side and out the other, which isn't desired, but it does leave a big hole. And just for the record, will easily go through any bear skull. For up close self defence against a bear, meaning 6 metres and less, anything reasonable from a 12ga is more useful than a rifle. One load of 00 buck at ten feet will kill a bear. Of course this is a last resort, but it will do WAY more damage than any single bullet. Don't believe me? Shoot a tree with a large cal rifle, and then shoot a similar tree from 6 feet away with #2 lead shot.
I am not even suggesting that a shotgun 0r 30-06 is better than a .375, etc. for hunting bear. I am saying that they are used more, and by the people that have lived with these animals in the backyard for generations, and they (the 12ga.) are better for real close self defense encounters.
That said, most of the local hunters I have dealt with would not be shooting any bears unless they were a danger to the the hunting party or community, or other game was very scarce.

I have read Herrero's book, and there is an incident of hunters I think in Kodiak that were killed by a big bruin. I am not entirely sure of the details, but they had shot the bear a number of times with a .338, and one of the bullets actually went through the bear and hit one of the hunters. I cannot recall if it was two or three hunters, but I think two or three were killed. It is certainly a good book, and it makes it very clear that bears are wild animals, and very individual. Something that keeps one from attacking you may not prevent another. What kills one, just enrages another. Playing dead, climbing trees, and pepper spray sometimes work. Sometimes they don't.

Of interest, a Mountie in Fort Providence area, in 2002 shot a bison, which then charged him. He shot a few more times, and the beastie slid to a halt right at his feet. I think he was using a .338 win mag. A friend who knows this guy told me he thought he was done for. It was apparantly terrifying to be charged by over a ton of pissed off meat and horns. Imagine how much fun that would have been if it was 1500 lbs of pissed off teeth and claws!

Alaska Bear Mauling Recorded on Tape
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: October 8, 2003

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) -- The graphic sounds of a deadly bear attack in the Alaska wilderness were captured on tape, revealing a wildlife author's final, frantic screams as he tried to fend off the beast, authorities said Wednesday.

Trooper Chris Hill said the tape suggests a video camera was turned on just before Timothy Treadwell was attacked at his campsite. His girlfriend, Amie Huguenard, was later mauled to death by a bear. The recording is audio only, and the screen is blank for all six minutes.

``They're both screaming, she's telling him to play dead, then it changes to fighting back. He asks her to hit the bear,'' Hill said. ``There's so much noise going on. I don't know what's him and what might be an animal.

``It's pretty disturbing. I keep hearing it in my mind.''

The remains of Treadwell, 46, and Huguenard, 37, both of Malibu, Calif., were found Monday at Katmai National Park and Preserve on the Alaska Peninsula. Treadwell was known for approaching, even touching, bears in the wild.

An air taxi pilot who arrived to pick up the couple contacted the National Park Service and troopers to report a brown bear was apparently sitting on top of human remains in the camp.

A ranger shot and killed a large brown bear when the animal charged at them through the dense brush. Troopers and rangers later killed a smaller bear apparently stalking them.

Hill said he was stunned by what he heard on the tape.

``The audio starts while he's being mauled and ends while he's being mauled,'' Hill said.

Treadwell may have heard a bear and asked Huguenard to turn on the camera, which was found with the lens cap on and packed in a camera bag, Hill said.

``At first, she sounds kind of surprised and asks if it's still out there. I'm not sure if she was asking if a bear was outside their tent or in the brush,'' Hill said. ``The audio stops because the tape runs out. Otherwise, it probably would have captured the whole thing.''

Hill said he will attempt to transcribe the tape. But there are no plans to make the recording or transcripts public, trooper spokesman Greg Wilkinson said.

Troopers recovered video and still photography equipment as well as three hours of earlier video footage from the site, across Shelikof Strait from Kodiak Island.

Much of the footage is close-up shots of bears. Some scenes show bears no more than a few feet from Treadwell, co-author of ``Among Grizzlies: Living With Wild Bears in Alaska.'' Others show a more timid Huguenard leaning away as bears come close to her on the bank of a river.

Rebecca Dmytryk, who oversees an animal rescue organization in Malibu, recalled other video footage of Treadwell before his death that showed him in a streambed near an older bear he nicknamed ``Quincy.''

``Quincy, do you remember when you stood over me? You were so hungry, and you should have eaten me, but you didn't. Thanks for not eating me, Quincy,'' Dmytryk recalled him saying to the bear in the clip. ``If Quincy had eaten me, good, 'cause he's a nice bear.''

Treadwell's family was in shock over the death.

``I was dumbfounded, ready to fall through the floor,'' said his father, Valentin Dexter, who lives in Pompano Beach, Fla.

I have always had a healthy respect for bears. In Ontario, we mostly have the black bears. They eat some people from time to time, but they can be handled, if necessary. Later in life, I started to go more north and west. And you guys got some big mother****ing bears. But as bad the reputation of Grizzly, the size of the Kodiak and the awesome strength and power of those animals, I never really was awestruck by a bear until I saw polar bears. They rule. Literally.
The polar bear is top dog in the North. They kill or they don't eat and die. No berries for these guys. A grizz will rarely take on a moose, but some bears eat whales when they're lucky enough to get them stuck in the ice. They are huge. They have no predators. No equals either. Not even walrus, and those are scary mother****ers too.
But for some reason, the Inuit, and probably the PreDorst people too, never feared the bear. They respected them, but they weren't usuually hunted by the bears, except out on the ice. That shows that the bears had a healthy enough respect for the people to leave them alone, except on the ice. The inuit have a saying roughly like : "one man standing with a raised arm can withstand the polar bear". And they didn't have a Busse to use, or a rifle. So what did they know?

Thanks to this clod, two bears are dead. You want to "save the bears"? Leave them alone! Why does every granola and tofu eating wackadoo think nature suddenly stops being, well, NATURE because they deem it warm and fuzzy? "Bears are gentle". So was Joseph Stalin when he wanted to be, according to books.

There was a photo that circulated in the news last year that was taken from the conning tower of a surfaced US nuclear submarine. The photo shows a large polar bear trying to eat the submarine's rudder. These things are fearless.

bear_sub1.jpg

Here is a link to the story:
http://www.strategypage.com/gallery/default.asp?target=bear_sub1.htm

n2s

Last year when hunting for caribou and ivory on the North Slope we saw 12 grizzlies.We had a sow and two very large cubs stalk us as we were butchering a caribou.They got with in 50 yards and winded us and took off. it is amazing how powerful they are.I have lived up here for twenty four years and never killed a grizzly . They are not very good to eat.Toby the local griz at Dead Horse where we flew out of tried to get in my truck.He was shot a few months later in a oil workers hotel room .Every year here in Fairbanks and Anchorage in the spring young bears come in to town and have to be killed.

my very best bud lives in palmer alaska, has for about 10 yrs now. he sees LOTS of bears, black and grizzly, and according to him:

*most popular calibre is the .375 H&H magnum, a few use bigger, very few use smaller, never see a 30-30 anymore.

*most popular pistol calibre is the .454 casull, and he says most have VERY little faith in it against the big bears of alaska. 44 mag?? nope. oh a few carry it but the casull is much preffered.

*a knife?? ya gotta be kidding me!! he said some nuts have killed a bear w/a knife, but he doesnt suggest it, he said he'd take his .375 anyday over a knife. in an emergency, if all ya have is a knife ya are probably gonna die.

he said too that if ya dont have food around, keep a clean camp, ya PROBABLY wont have any problems, just be carefull and dont get between mama and her cubs/etc. he said he cant believe the stuff tourists do, several people attacked each year around him just doing stupid stuff.

i wanna go hunt up there, tyalk about fun!!!!!!!

greg

*edited to add a shotgun has not got enough penetration to reliably stop a bear, might work if ya let it get close enough and stick the muzzle in its mouth, if ya are fast enough.

I feel for the guy's family, but especially for Anne's family. The endgame was entirely predictable for the fool. Bears prefer sex over murder, so the rule is just roll over and give it up. A little honey goes a long way!:eek: It startles me on Sundays to see a 250 POUNDER running a legit 4.6, but a 1000# hungry mutha running a 3.5 boggles the mind. Nice carpets though.

A very well known Hollywood character-actor/hunter killed a Brown bear with a 12", double edged dagger.

Can you give us another hint? :)

n2s

"*edited to add a shotgun has not got enough penetration to reliably stop a bear, might work if ya let it get close enough and stick the muzzle in its mouth, if ya are fast enough."
-sifu1a

Yes it does.
I have SEEN it done on a number of occassions, and it will continue to be done long after this thread is dead and gone, just as it has been done for decades. I notice lots of people get hung up on ballistic charts, and opinions, but that statement is just wrong. Slugs go through even the biggest grizz. They penetrate better than a .375 H&H mag. The slug does not really flatten or expand, thus head shots are preferable Buckshot takes a good portion of the skull. Not from 50 yards. But in close where you NEED to kill the bear, it does the trick. Like I said, for actual hunting needs, the bigger cals are much more practical espescially at long ranges, but the .30-06 and 12 gauge will kill more Griz this year than any other calibers.

"most popular calibre is the .375 H&H magnum, a few use bigger, very few use smaller, never see a 30-30 anymore."

I agree that is probably true in Alaska, but not in northern Canada, and I doubt the seasoned older guys are all using the big bores, nor the natives. Anyone coming north from the US or southern Canada brings the big guns, but the locals usually cannot afford a pile of different guns, and the .375 is too big for the smaller game. Moose & caribou drop at the sight of a .243, why destroy more meat than you need to? Elk and Dall's sheep need the range of a .30-06 or 7mm.

I don't want to be argumentative, but I lived there myself and have hunted there plenty. I am not speaking from opinion, but from experience. These people are not hunting for sport. Ever. They are getting food for the family, and keeping their traditions alive. They are the most experienced hunters you will meet, and the fact that they have not starved, and the fact that nobody can remember anyone, ever, being killed by a bear up there, I think they must have a handle on things.
I can't tell you how many times my kids could not go to school because there was a bear or wolf in town. Then a few locals and the RCMP would go kill it with a shotgun, or maybe the Canadian Rangers would bring it down with a .303 British.

Carry what you want, but if I have to move through a dense thicket of alders, likely bursting with bruins, I'm taking a semi auto shotgun. If I am going on a Grizzly hunt, I'll get a .375, or better, if I can afford it!

When I lived on the coast of Hudson Bay and James Bay, problem polar bears were ALWAYS killed with 12 gauge slugs, sometimes at a bit of distance.

Originally posted by knifedaddy84
That last photo on Snopes is horrible! I wish I never saw it.

The original source of that photo( rotten.com) stated that that was a dog attack. Apparently a pack of dogs attack that fellow, who passed out in a public park in Germany.

A guy is sitting in a tree stand hunting when a big ole black bear comes out in front of him about 100 yards. He shoots, gets out of his stand and walks over to claim his kill. He is looking around at the spot where was sure he hit the bear and all of a sudden feels, tap, tap, tap on his shoulder from behind. He turns around and it is that big ole black bear. The bear says to him, "Give it up, or DIE." The hunter caught of guard is defenseless. He doesn't want to die, so he gives it up to the bear.:eek:

After giving it up to the bear, he is MAD . So he sits in the same place to gain vengence. Low and behold, that same big ole black bear walks by at the same spot. BAM, BAM, BAM, BAM, BAM!!! Our hunter unloads his gun sure that he has killed the bear. He runs to the spot of the kill... No bear. All of sudden, tap, tap, tap on the shoulder. He turns around with an empty gun and hears, "Give it up, or DIE.":eek:

Third day. After the purchase of an assault rife with a 30 round banana clip, our hero is in the stand again. Low and behold, here comes that same ole black bear tromping down the same trail. Ratta tat tat, Ratta tat tat. Bushes flying, trees falling, the hunter unloads his gun knowing that he could have never missed the bear in such a flurry of gun fire. He runs down to the spot with the anticipation of redemption... no bear. :confused:

Tap, tap, tap.

The bear says, "You're not out here for the hunting, are you?":eek: :eek: :eek:

Well, I'm not really sure what sort of gun you'd need to take down a bear, but I know a guy who hunts bear with a box and arrow! :eek:

I think he's nuts!

How does he use the box? Does he hide inside and then poke the bear with the arrow? :)

Small world afterall, eh? I live the next town over from Palmer (Wasilla)

I mostly agree with what yer friend has to say.

.454 is very popular up here, but in my opinion it has in no way upstaged the .44 Mag. For alot of year the .454 was at least a thousand bucks, while a Ruger Super Blackhawk could be picked up all day long for about $300 or so. Same thing with the Smiths, and Ruger Redhawks. No one denies that the .454 has alot more whup a$$ than the .44 mag, but most of us just can't drop that kinda cash on a handgun. Lotsa folks load up the .44 Mag with Ace Dube 328 Grain hard cast bullets that are comin' out of the barrel about 1250 FPS. It aint a .454, but that does go a ways towards evening the odds. Also, some folks (like myself) like the Mountain Guns that weigh in about the same thing as a 1911.

I myself agree with the .375 also being much desired, but once again, cost is an issue, and alot of people REALLY like the 338. It's got plenty of whupa$$ for a bear, but also won't mangle too much meat on your moose or caribou. Myself, I haven't had reason to stray away from a 30-06 yet.

I gotta go completely opposite of your buddy in the opinion of the shotgun. It is VERY effective. the 870 propped beside me as I type is responsible for the demise of two cabin bears, and one moose. The moose was dropped at about 40 yards. It didn't seem to be offended by the poor ballistic properties of a twelve guage when it dropped about twenty yards later. Somethig larger would be nice for alot of us, but there are hundreds and hundreds of shortbarreled twelve guages sold here every year for bear protection, and they are very effective. Plenty of penetration (enough), very fast shooting, handling, and once again, very, very cheap for the common guy. $300 brand new, sometimes around $125 if you don't mind something used, and a bit uglied up. It's affordable for most anyone, and you don't mind it getting beat up, rusted, and scratched to sh!t so much as you would a nice rifle. Sounds like your friend certainly does have some darn nice toys though! I certainly don't argue the wisdom of his choices. And I agree about being careful, following rules,and bears never being a problem. It never ceases to apall me how many people get all freaked out and pumped up every year about bear attacks, yet hundreds, and hundreds are encountered every summer. and instances like this latest granola chewin' retard getting mauled are very rare. People are still most often the critter to look out for.

So, about the bear attack some of the latest news....

Retard boys last words recorded are said to have been "come out here! I'm getting killed!" While his girlfriends last recorded words were "play dead!" and "hit him with the frying pan!"

I heard on the radio this morning that one of the bears was seriously messed up and retarded looking himself. guess his face looked like a Picasso, and he had some horribly crooked and messed up teeth. The tape itself though is said to belong to whatever foundation he worked for. Grizzly People or something like that? Maybe the guy was just killed by his kindred spirit!:D

Speaking of that- real quick bear story....

My father in law was born without any fingers on his left hand. Was out by a berry patch one day, Saw a real good sized blackie, and killed it with his Ruger #1 30-06. Started looking at body, realized that the bear didn't have any claws on its front left paw. We often times tell him he's the only guy in history that's killed and eaten his kindred spirit!:D

Shotguns do have enough penetration to stop a bear. Like I said in my previous post, most if not all Russian bear hunters only use shotguns. By the way, they have some of, if not the largest bear on earth in Siberia (aside from Polar bear). I saw a Russian Hunter on the Discovery Channel who only ever used a Winchester Model 12 and he hunted bear for a living. He also killed what some people believed to be the world record largest bear. (With an ancient Winchester Model 12).

HA HA HA HA!

That IS a great story, Runs with scissors. Most of mine are not as entertaining. Usualy the bears just want my food and then leave. Cheeky buggers! They remind me of Bilbo Baggins, little burglars.

In the late sixties and early seventies I was a surveyor in northern Alberta and the NWT. I ran into lots of grizzly and a few polar bears. They can get exceptionally large and that foot looks about right for an 1100 pounder. The bear looks bigger than it really is because the hunter is a fair bit behind the bear and this gives a skewed perspective. Let me tell you one thing, when you run into a 700 lb grizzly you tend to think it looks a whole lot bigger than that.

I was never aggressively approached by a grizzly. The same can not be said about polar bears. They are much more aggressive than a grizzly. We had to shoot a couple of them because they had become quite threatening. A real shame too, these were beautiful animals.

Back