You ever resign from a job with short notice?

Give two weeks notice after you know you have the job, which gives them the opportunity to tell you to clean out your office in an hour. Problem solved. If they don't appreciate your hard work, you were the better man for giving them two weeks notice. They might wise up eventually.

It really depends on if you like your current employer. If you like them than give notice if not than screw em' if they can't take a joke. I'm gonna quit my job tomorrow this exact way and go across the street to the competition but I live in a place where high paying jobs are plentiful so you do have to consider this.

The concept of "Giving Notice" is a courtesy and unless specifically specified or contractually stated as some companies require you are under no obligation to give notice. It is a good idea though in the event you ever want to return.

Courtesy is a two way street and since you don't sound too happy where you are I can only guess you aren't being treated all that well either.

If it makes you feel better when and if you get your new job they should understand that you wish to give notice and in that case two weeks is standard, however if it were me I wouldn't hesitate to move on and do what you have to do.

Good luck!

The concept of "Giving Notice" is a courtesy and unless specifically specified or contractually stated as some companies require you are under no obligation to give notice. It is a good idea though in the event you ever want to return.

Courtesy is a two way street and since you don't sound too happy where you are I can only guess you aren't being treated all that well either.

If it makes you feel better when and if you get your new job they should understand that you wish to give notice and in that case two weeks is standard, however if it were me I wouldn't hesitate to move on and do what you have to do.

Good luck!

I have been canned a few times. My employers never gave me any notice, they just walked me to the door. I quit a couple of jobs and offered two weeks notice.
In both cases, I was walked to the door. They didn't want someone hanging around for two weeks who might do some damage.

It's nice to leave on good terms, but your interests come first.

Good luck!

My current job isn't horrible, but it is low-paying and has a very long commute.

I interviewed at the potential new job yesterday and expect to hear from them today. If I get the job, I'd basically be giving only two days notice, not including the weekend. I feel guilty about the prospect, but I can't let the prospect of a closer, much better paying job slip by.

I've quit without giving two weeks. The reason being that the contract I signed said that the employer could let me go without notice and I could also do the same. That being, I would give as much notice as you can. Most of the time I hear of people giving their two weeks is that the employer just sends them home that day anyway.

I would satisfy whatever terms are in your contract or employment agreement (verbal or written).

If resignation terms are not spelled out it is traditional to give 2-4 weeks notice. Teaching is a unique situation in that the hiring season has usually wrapped up by this time and that can be a burden on the former employer and colleagues. Be as graceful as you can, but such late notice will not leave a positive impression with them. They might be a lousy employer, but they will still be a reference future employers will contact.

That being said, do nothing until you have a firm contract with the new job. You say you teach a weird subject, be cognizant that some subject areas like art, music, exotic foreign languages are often the first to be let go when finances get tight. A great job that gets cut in the next round of budget cuts is not much of a job at all

I work at a small private school. It is a pleasant place to work, but the pay is quite poor and it is an hour and twenty minute drive one way. That is almost three hours daily in the car and $500 a month in gas. I have been there four years, and I have reached my threshold for sustaining the strain on my time, stamina, and finances.

A new job just popped up closer to home with half the commute and 30% more pay in a good public school. They are pretty eager to talk to me. I live in the sticks and teach a weird subject, so this doesn't happen often. I feel like I really need to jump at this, but school starts soon and I would not be leaving much notice; I am feeling conflicted because I know leaving in short notice is not terribly professional.

Your thoughts?

Unless you know for sure you're getting hired, don't leave on short notice.

That said, in this economy, I hardly think leaving on short notice to be uncommon.

Foilist
Think of it this way. If you get the job, hand in your resignation as soon as possible. This causes one of three scenarios, 1) "Thanks for 4 years service, please leave this minute" 2) We want to give you more money to stay. 3) They don't say anything.

Option three is the worst. Had it at one job I quit and it was the worst thing they could have done. I left on the friday and didn't say by to anyone. When you get out of the old job and into the new one, you will feel better.

Let us know if you get new job.

Like many others have said, give all the notice you can, even if it is only a couple days.
You want to protect the future reference if needed.
I quit a job with a 3 day notice with UPS years ago and they threw a fit and got upset. I had to interrupt the supervisor and remind him that when I took the job, the gave me an 12 hour notice to start ! They called me on a Sunday at about 6pm and said, "if you want the job, be here tommorow at 6am "
That place sucked.

It's professional to offer 2 weeks notice, if you happen to be in that much demand that you can afford to do so. How many people actually are? Doctors, nurses, accountants, talented corporate managers, top tier academics? Not many. No offense, I wish our culture valued labor, skilled labor, and professions outside of medicine and engineering more than it does. It doesn't.

We live in a "free market" labor economy. As others have pointed out employers don't care about anything other than their bottom line. Yea, managers will always pledge allegiance to their workforce in public. They have to, who would work for someone who publically told their employees that they cost too much? Whatever, it's just cynical workplace politics. I can tell you this, at my company the management admires sharks in sheep's clothing (total passive aggressive and egomaniacal corporate culture). People who display these traits get better assignments, promote more often, and stay around longer.

Take care of yourself. Move forward with your life. Just make sure to be nice and smile on your way out and tell everyone how great it was to work with them and you're sad that you have to leave.

Read this book, it explains a lot about corporate politics and what really matters:

---Corporate Confidential: 50 Secrets Your Company Doesn't Want You to Know---and What to Do About Them---

http://www.cynthiashapiro.com/sneakpeek/index.php4

Take the job you'll enjoy and close to home. Just make sure you have the job before you leave your current one :p

Well gang, the job didn't pan out. As I was leaving the interview, the next applicant was a person who had previously held the position, and she wanted her old gig back. There must be a story there.

Sorry it didn't pan out. But do keep up a search. We have only ourselves to blame if we settle for a job that is less than agreeable for substantial reasons.

Depends on the place and the circumstances. A dealer I worked for in Oakland ALWAYS would send an employee packing
w/last check in hand the day after notice was given; I quit this guy on a Friday morning on the last day of the month
and was glad to do it.
If I have been well treated in a store I have no problem with the traditional 2 weeks notice. If the management was bad
notice is subject to modification. No one gets notice before they are fired; in the case of the Oakland dealer I fired HIM
as my employer.

Back