You guys are so right...

So I got to do some work with my little Lowe's Hatchet today.
And I could hear the Ax Guru's from here and on other boards
words echoing in my head about handle length, usage, etc...

Right before however, I was handling a Truper Boy's Axe at my
local Tractor Supply store and had I had that toy when I was doing
my work today (hunting down a nice tree to carve out a bow from),
my hands would be hurting much less right now and I would've
gotten much more work done much more efficiently.

I'm going back for the Truper's Boy's Ax by the way for sure. I'll "learn" with it
and when I feel that my skills are worthy, I'll graduate to a Gransfor Bruks.
I'm going to hone (no pun intended) my sharpening and handling skills with it.
I'll modify it (stain the handle, tape it, reinforce it, etc...) and keep it in my 4X4.

HOWEVER, I can see where a Hatchet would be great for doing smaller chores
that would preserve the life of my main knife (carving, making stakes, etc...).

101583330-260x260-0-0_Truper+Herramientas+Truper+Boys+Axe+Wood+Handle.jpg

Last edited:
Good idea? Bad idea? Have both, a hatchet and axe in a Sustainability Pack?
Or possibly an ax and a Roofing Hatchet which I'll just basically as a tool
(making kindling, tent staking, breaking rock/stone with, etc...)?

I'm thinking the ax could cover all the cutting/chopping bases while
a Roofer's Hatchet would give me much more options than a standard
small hatchet, plus, it would include the benefit of being at least one
steel handled cutting tool that I can continue to work with if I had to
re-fab a handle for the larger ax.

A more perfect combo?

212wykr6GiL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Small_Forest_Axe.jpg

If your going to get a boys axe, take a look at Council Tool. I've seen them for twenty before shipping online, and they're extremely handy. Way better profile, steel, tempering, and quality.

Can't tell you much about hatchets, but a roofer's has a really thin blade, not much good for chopping. A carpenters may be a better option.

If your going to get a boys axe, take a look at Council Tool. I've seen them for twenty before shipping online, and they're extremely handy. Way better profile, steel, tempering, and quality.

Can't tell you much about hatchets, but a roofer's has a really thin blade, not much good for chopping. A carpenters may be a better option.

Will consider the Council (which is owned and manufactured by Truper).

A carpenter's hatchet would be better for chopping yes, but
with the roofer's hatchet, I'd leave the chopping to the axe.
I was thinking of using it just for smaller tasks (like kindling,
tent staking, etc...).

I personally cannot understand why anyone would buy that Truper axe when for the same price and a tiny bit of patience you can have a FAR superior vintage axe. For just a song and dance more, you can have a FAR superior boy's axe from Council Tool if you prefer a brand new piece and quicker gratification than shopping ebay.

The shingling hatchet is design for shingling. They are very specific and not worth much when it comes to wood processing. It sounds like you would be better off with Estwing's riggers axe.

I dont really like the profiling of the GB. Not enough meat on the cheeks for effecient heavy work. For small work its fine. I think the Council is probably a more versatile tool.

A small hatchet and a good axe from the 2.5 to 3 pound range with a handle between 28 and 30 inches is a very versatile duo, but they should be well chosen. If I had a thick cheeked big axe, id like a hatchet suited to fine carving etc. with a thin blade.

I dont really like the profiling of the GB. Not enough meat on the cheeks for effecient heavy work. For small work its fine. I think the Council is probably a more versatile tool.

A small hatchet and a good axe from the 2.5 to 3 pound range with a handle between 28 and 30 inches is a very versatile duo, but they should be well chosen. If I had a thick cheeked big axe, id like a hatchet suited to fine carving etc. with a thin blade.

well said. Along those lines, I might choose the council boys axe and a gransfors hand hatchet. the little stubby gransfors is really good for carving and small, fine work

Learn with a good axe. I'm with Memphis. I'd stay away from any of the newer Collins or Truper axes.

You can also buy a good old axe at tag sales, antique stores, or flea markets for a song (under $10) and fix them up with a new handle (usually around $10).

The GB hatchets are probably great. From the scandi forest axe and up I think they are not worth it. Heck, I cant even imagine spending 100 bucks on a hatchet but at least its comparatively efficient. Im just too into the serious application of small (2-2.5 pound) axes to stand by the gransfors.

The shingling hatchet is design for shingling. They are very specific and not worth much when it comes to wood processing. It sounds like you would be better off with Estwing's riggers axe.

This. If you want a tiny little detail hatchet from Estwing at least make it the carpenter's hatchet or rigging axe or get a Condor Scout Hatchet. The shingling hatchet will do nothing for you unless you plan on making shingles.

Not the case. Council is a family owned company that has been around and in the Council family since 1886. http://counciltool.com/index.asp?pg=aboutus

You are thinking of Collins.

I personally cannot understand why anyone would buy that Truper axe when for the same price and a tiny bit of patience you can have a FAR superior vintage axe. For just a song and dance more, you can have a FAR superior boy's axe from Council Tool if you prefer a brand new piece and quicker gratification than shopping ebay.

The sage speaks. ;) You are correct sir...Collins.
Okay, I concur. The Truper is out. The Council is in.
Although now, I'm thinking of going up to the mid 20'' length.
18-20" is too close to a Hatchet. I might as well go farther from
a Hatchet length since I plan to have a smaller tool anyway.

As for the Roofer's Hatchet, I just want to make kindling with it.
I'd leave the hatchet work to an ax. If I want to carve something,
I'll use my knife. I've used an Estwing rigger's ax. I just don't like it.
I much prefer the roofer's hatchet. Plus, I can do more with it than I
can do with the rigger's ax. I'll already have an ax with whatever I
end up with in the 25" range, so I might as well have another tool
that will give me options that a rigger's ax or standard hatchet can't.

Thanks for the heads up on the Truper guys. I'm going Council.

Learn with a good axe. I'm with Memphis. I'd stay away from any of the newer Collins or Truper axes.

You can also buy a good old axe at tag sales, antique stores, or flea markets for a song (under $10) and fix them up with a new handle (usually around $10).

Going on a hunt this week actually. ;)

This. If you want a tiny little detail hatchet from Estwing at least make it the carpenter's hatchet or rigging axe or get a Condor Scout Hatchet. The shingling hatchet will do nothing for you unless you plan on making shingles.

As stated before, I think it'd be fine for making kindling. I wouldn't need a bigger hatchet for that.
Plus, again, it offers the pure function of a hammer as well. And yes! I can make shingles from wood!
:D

Geez! I sent Council an email about just this product a couple weeks ago. Cool to see that they have it on their site now. I'm with you. That would be my first choice for an axe right now if I was in the market for my first axe or if I wanted a boy's axe.

I'll see if I can find one locally first, if not, I'll order one.
I have a lot of work ahead of me in the next few weeks.

SR... That is a great 1st choice for an axe. On another forum, a few guys had got the Forest axe from Ben Backwood's (sold out now) and they sang the praises of that axe. Very highly regarded and recommended. Council Tool is also highly recommended in general for quality axes.

I have two of their Velvicuts, a Hudson Bay and a Dayton and they are SWEEEET!!!

Council Tool Dayton & Kelly Perfect Michigan w/ wedges.

Council Tool Hudson Bay & Plumb

SR... That is a great 1st choice for an axe. On another forum, a few guys had got the Forest axe from Ben Backwood's (sold out now) and they sang the praises of that axe. Very highly regarded and recommended. Council Tool is also highly recommended in general for quality axes.

I have two of their Velvicuts, a Hudson Bay and a Dayton and they are SWEEEET!!!

Council Tool Dayton & Kelly Perfect Michigan w/ wedges.

Council Tool Hudson Bay & Plumb

Thanks! :thumbup: and ^^^ very NICE!

Yeah, I can't wait to get one. I'll post pics in action once I have it.
I'm going to start out by clearing some bush then I'm going to
cut out a trail out of a rarely used game trail behind my house.

Back