You know you have it bad when...

You make a big thread in which you finally decide to sell your precious DLC coated S!K you are too much of a sissy to use.... go the S!K website to order a knife you can finally use, only to buy a 3.5 preorder.... which if it was anything like your last preorder could take 9 months to arrive.

Now I have 3 S!K knives, and I can't use any of them.

And I chickened out of posting my DLC for sale.

Maybe I should try and get in on a 5.1 tomorrow, if any become available.

Ah gawd. This knife thing is going to be the end of me.

Just buy another 5.1 :) The nice thing about ordering today (if you get one) is it won't take too long to get it, so you'll have another in hand before you let the 5.1 DLC go. Ease the parting pains...

I think you'll have to be pretty quick though, I doubt there are very many and I don't think they'll last long. Make sure you know what you want ahead of time so you can grab and go.

We are a bunch of junkies. Do not sell that 5.1! You will regret it. The longer you keep it the more rare it will become. I was once like you, not wantng to use any of my high end stuff. The real pleasure comes from the use of a prefectly executed, purpose built tool. You WILL love it even more once you realize how well it performs. its like this... You have a really smoking hot model chilling with you at your house and she is just begging for your attention and all you wanna do is akwardly stare at her!

We are a bunch of junkies. Do not sell that 5.1! You will regret it. The longer you keep it the more rare it will become. I was once like you, not wantng to use any of my high end stuff. The real pleasure comes from the use of a prefectly executed, purpose built tool. You WILL love it even more once you realize how well it performs. its like this... You have a really smoking hot model chilling with you at your house and she is just begging for your attention and all you wanna do is akwardly stare at her!

I'm sure I'll be in the akward stare stage as soon as my 5.1 comes in. For a few weeks at least .

its like this... You have a really smoking hot model chilling with you at your house and she is just begging for your attention and all you wanna do is akwardly stare at her!
Haha! I love the analogy!

Justin, don't tell the other guys... I know there are mixed feelings on safe queens here.............. but I had longed for a GSO 5 for so long and because of my previously mentioned innate oddities I felt compelled to order two of them. One to use and enjoy and one to keep mint with plans of donating to a historical society upon my passing. I feel totally content using my user knowing I still have my pristine one continuing to remain pristine. Hopefully you're not as big of a freak as I am, but I thought I'd share my experience if it could help at all.

Bottom line: do what will make you happy without stressing you out!

Haha! I love the analogy!

Justin, don't tell the other guys... I know there are mixed feelings on safe queens here.............. but I had longed for a GSO 5 for so long and because of my previously mentioned innate oddities I felt compelled to order two of them. One to use and enjoy and one to keep mint with plans of donating to a historical society upon my passing. I feel totally content using my user knowing I still have my pristine one continuing to remain pristine. Hopefully you're not as big of a freak as I am, but I thought I'd share my experience if it could help at all.

Bottom line: do what will make you happy without stressing you out!

This is acceptable! Thats like having one supermodel to play with all the time and another on speed dial for when you get bored with the first one or she dicides she no longer wants to hang out with you!!

This is acceptable! Thats like having one supermodel to play with all the time and another on speed dial for when you get bored with the first one or she dicides she no longer wants to hang out with you!!

I couldn't come up with a good comment in agreement.... this is awesome agreed!

Edit: I have a numbered Necker -2 and i was whole hog ready to abuse it...now I await the factory 2nds so i can snatch up a user and ogle the numbered one... not that any of that "makes sense" so I can understand your pain...

Last edited:
I have had a similar time with these knives. My 1st one was a proto 4 I got for next to nothing in trade and I new nothing about S/K at the time, just thought it was a great design.
Once I was schooled on what it was, 9 gso's later and the rest is history. I also like 2cds for actual user knives.

Awesome analogies guys. The one thing that bugs me about my DLC 5.1 is the sloppy job on the finish.

Honestly I know to some people that little bit of gloss is nothing, but to me it's like a a woman that could be a supermodel except one major flaw. Keep in mind I'm coming for owning over 12 CRKs and that is what I EDC.

I was thinking about it all last night and I think that's why it's bugging me. It's too nice to use, but not quite perfect enough to keep as an amazing example of craftsmanship. I think it would be a second to be honest.

If it had a cosmetic flaw, I'd beat on that thing like a birthday pinata. But that's just me. I can't keep from using even high-end blades. Heck, I've even carried and used my custom from Dwight Towell, although very lightly. :)

Hard Knocks,

I don't think I would even let most people touch my Dwight Towell if I even had one!!

Well the thing is, it might be polishing compound stuck to the blade. It might be the finish polished by the blade being held incorrectly while on the buffing wheel. I can't tell. It doesn't come off easy and I don't want to damage the finish by being too abrasive on it.

I'm taking a couple days to decide for sure but the more I have thought about it the more I plan to sell it. The only thing now is what to replace it with. A new 5.1 or a 6! I have a 3.5 on preorder but that is replacing my DLC 3.5. My wife really wants it. I'm sure she would be ok with something else and that one might get sold when the new 3.5 comes if she likes that just the same.

I think even with the flaw in the finish you could generate enough funds to buy a new 5.1 or 6 and have money left over. Personally I think the blackout looks great, like you could tackle hell with that blade and a bucket of water :cool:

Hard Knocks,

I don't think I would even let most people touch my Dwight Towell if I even had one!!

Well the thing is, it might be polishing compound stuck to the blade. It might be the finish polished by the blade being held incorrectly while on the buffing wheel. I can't tell. It doesn't come off easy and I don't want to damage the finish by being too abrasive on it.

I'm taking a couple days to decide for sure but the more I have thought about it the more I plan to sell it. The only thing now is what to replace it with. A new 5.1 or a 6! I have a 3.5 on preorder but that is replacing my DLC 3.5. My wife really wants it. I'm sure she would be ok with something else and that one might get sold when the new 3.5 comes if she likes that just the same.

That finish should still be pretty tough. We tried roughing them up with quarters, screwdrivers, other knives... they all held up pretty well.

Back